It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2006, 09:17 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

stojack HB User
The Dietary Cure for Acne by Loren Cordain

I'm a little puzzled that diet and acne is no longer discussed on this board. For those of you who aren't convinced there's a connection, please check out this book. [removed] I've tried everything under the sun for the last 20+ years and have finally learned to control this disease with diet. I have experienced so many negative side effects from the different drugs out there for acne, that I had to see if this could work. I know everyone out there is thinking yeah sure, how could this work, but trust me it does if you do it correctly. It's a huge adjustment for most people, because we're conditioned to eat such garbage, which leads to a hormonal cascade that triggers acne. Even if you think you have tried cutting out certain foods to no avail, you may be missing the mark. Cordain gets into relationships with food and acne that others have overlooked. This guy wrote the Paleo Diet, has been peer reviewed and they have conducted I believed three controlled studies to date to prove their thoery. I've written a couple of posts in response to women trying Yasmin and severe adult acne, but no one seems interested in this path. Is it just that people are looking for a magic pill and this is just too hard?? Help me understand why people aren't interested, cause once I found posts and data that this was possible I devoured all the information I could on the subject. Help me understand the disinterest...

Last edited by mod-anon; 12-28-2006 at 10:38 PM. Reason: do not instruct members on how to find commercial websites.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2006, 06:00 AM   #2
Inactive

lindamh HB User
Re: The Dietary Cure for Acne by Loren Cordain

I haven't read the book, but I'll second it that diet affects acne and a good diet can cure it. Even if it is hormonal as sugar and other foods stimulate the hormones.

Nothing a dermatologist ever prescribed for me helped. But diet and supplements did.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:14 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

wholegrain HB User

I've discussed the subject a little on here. But most people sort of ARE looking for a magic pill, so diet is not going to be your most popular subject in *any* situation. Acne is not any different than weight loss, heart disease, any other problem that is affected greatly by diet. People, especially Americans, were almost all raised to eat a certain way and hate to be told otherwise. I guess it's human nature to want to live however you want and the pick up the pieces later. Folks would rather take an aspirin than figure out why their head hurts.

Anyway, contrary to my views above, I have had absolutely no success at combatting acne with diet. However I'd be interested in reading that book to see if there is anything I don't know.

I went through a huge revolution a couple of years ago and entirely turned around the way I live. I got more active, stopped smoking, and quit eating animal flesh, synthetic chemicals, and refined foods. My diet is just about as healthy as a diet can possibly get. But my skin is the same, sometimes worse, as it's always been. My best guess is that not everyone's acne has it's root in diet. Perhaps some people's is hormonal, or due to stress, or something other than what they eat. Because I certainly have a lot of problems, even though my diet and lifestyle isn't one.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:17 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

stojack HB User

Hi Wholegrain,
I think you nailed it. It's just more trouble than people want to deal with. I was the biggest junk food junky going and now I can't find a thing to eat in a convenience store. It's tough to pull off. I would love to know what your diet consists of, cause I've seen much discussion on the vegetarian diet not necessarily being ideal for acne. Soy and beans can be very bad for acne due to the lectins they contain. Grains in general are also a no, no for several reasons. Cordain gets into all that in his book. ALso if you're eating grains like quinoa, barley etc, thinking they're safe, could be problems, high glycemic and gluten can be very bad for acne sufferers. The Paleo diet focuses on lean meats, fruites and veggies. I've read alot of posts about people's skin improving after adding back in meat, protein helps stabilize blood sugar, which contributes to clearer skin. Somewhat over simplified, but the key to good skin is balancing blood sugar and therefore insulin to stop the hormonal cascade that results. Insulin the master hormone than triggers the production of testosterone, which we all know is a main culprit. Low carbers are notorious for seeing the connection with their diet and clearer skin, even if it wasn't their initial intent. Let me know whay you're eating and I'll see if I can help identify some triggers.

ALso, check out coconut oil, do a general search on the health benefits, it's a real gem. I also use coconut flour now for baking, it's low carb, gluten free.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:17 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

wholegrain HB User

Here's today for you. Not exactly ideal, but I've been lazy lately.

Breakfast:
Some fresh cherries.
A slice of leftover cheese pizza.
A banana.
One Ryevita Fruit Crisp.
Water.

Snack:
Mango/raspberry/soymilk smoothie.

Lunch:
Palak paneer (spinach with homemade cottage cheese).
Chana masala (chickpeas in tomato sauce).
Aloo gobi (baked potatoes and cauliflower).
Basmati rice.
Nan (bread).
Mango lassi (fresh yogurt and mango blended).
Water.

Dinner:
Whole grain crackers.
Spinach ravioli.
A little Gatorade.

I understand the theories but I am not at all interested in adding animal flesh back into my diet. I should be clear that I didn't change my lifestyle to combat acne, I simply noticed that it didn't help. I would rather look into different methods of treating acne besides eating meat.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:51 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

stojack HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholegrain
Here's today for you. Not exactly ideal, but I've been lazy lately.

Breakfast:
Some fresh cherries.
A slice of leftover cheese pizza. (high glycemic, insuligenic (dairy has negative effects on insulin)
A banana. (high glycemic, I've seen many posts from people who can't eat bananas, Perricone says they're a no no along with magos. I have them in moderation and usually with something high protein, you may want to consider coconut oil which will have a similar effect as protein by stabilizing blood sugar.)
One Ryevita Fruit Crisp. (Gluten, high glycemic, grains can be bad. Check out mercola for more info on grains and acne)
Water.

Snack:
Mango/raspberry/soymilk smoothie. (Mango is high glycemic, soy can be problematic due to lectins. There's a lot of controversy over whether soy is really safe, check out mercola for that as well)

Lunch:
Palak paneer (spinach with homemade cottage cheese).(dairy could be a problem)
Chana masala (chickpeas in tomato sauce). (chickpeas, lectins)
Aloo gobi (baked potatoes and cauliflower). (baked potatoes, high glycemic, high carb)
Basmati rice. (high glycemic, high carb)
Nan (bread). (same as above. I used to lovveee this stuff, oh how I miss it)
Mango lassi (fresh yogurt and mango blended). (dairy, Mango again...)
Water.

Dinner:
Whole grain crackers. (grains bad)
Spinach ravioli. (pasta, high glycemic)
A little Gatorade. (sugar, I don't touch it)

I understand the theories but I am not at all interested in adding animal flesh back into my diet. I should be clear that I didn't change my lifestyle to combat acne, I simply noticed that it didn't help. I would rather look into different methods of treating acne besides eating meat.
Ok, so according to Cordain and what has worked for me, your diet is highly suspect as far as acne and in my opinion health as well. I know you think this is totally healthy and two years ago I would have as well. I ate very similarly. The fact is this diet has ramifications on blood sugar and insulin which is not only a key factor in acne but in many chronic diseases, cancer, heart disease etc. I would suggest reading up on the benefits of low carbing (not the atkins way, the slow carb/low carb way. Low sugar fruits and veggies primarily) Even though Cordain is firm believer in meats and seafood as to how we were designed to eat (Paleolithic Man), he is more concerned with controlling blood sugar. I think your diet is suspect in that respect. Totally understand not wanting to add back meat ( my best friend is vegan and can't even smell it being cooked anymore) I just don't have a good substitute for something more substantial than fruits and veggies. The grains are not only inferior nutritionally, they create problems with insulin and as a result other hormones. This is not only about acne for me either, I believe eating a low gi diet that controls blood sugar is imperative for long term health and well being and the prevention of chronic disease. The best advice I can give you is to look at the many books out today on this particular subject matter and how to work it around a vegetarian diet. I love to go to the bookstore and camp out in the aisle with all relevant titles and just research the subject.

Cordain doesn't love soy in the diet, but he says some people can add it back in without problems for the skin. Mercola feels it's extremely dangerous for health. It's a toughie overall. I dropped it and use almond milk now. I know I rambled, but it's late here and I'm tired. I hope I could give you some info. that's helpful for your health overall.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:48 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

wholegrain HB User

I appreciate the info and I'll look into your concerns.

As far as acne goes, my diet might not *help* it, but it certainly doesn't make any sense that it directly causes it. I've only been a vegetarian for 3 years but I've had severe acne for 10 years. What could have been causing it when I was eating a high protein, low carb diet the other 7 years?

I do regulate soy in my diet, because I don't feel it is good to get too much of any one food, and if you get too wrapped up in "substitute" foods you can find that your soy level is through the roof. I use rice milk on days where I'm going to be having any soy products. Never used almond milk, I'll have to give it a try.

So, out of curiosity, what does a typical meal or snack for you look like?

Thanks again for the information. It's nice to have someone to talk to about nutrition who actually reads books and isn't just regurgitating the latest trend.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:35 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

wholegrain HB User

Okay thanks, I'll check out the other posts.

Oh I wasn't low carbing on purpose. I was just referring to the standard diet I grew up with, what I was doing before I started this years back. It wasn't an "official" low carb diet, just much lower in complex carbs compared to how I eat now.

I do not and have never been able to consume caffeine. You don't have to explain fight-or-flight to me; I have severe panic disorder. Just a cup of green tea is enough to set me off. Don't touch caffeine with a ten foot pole.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:03 PM   #9
(male)

soupyhead HB User

its strange because for me diet and acne WAS connected, carbs would make me break out like crazy.. but while taking certain things it would eliminate this carb threat.. activated charcoal and psyllium husk pills did this for me. i could eat whatever i wanted.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:17 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

stojack HB User

Wholegrain,
I'm a little confused. You said you were low carbing in one of your posts and now your saying it was just how you ate before you ate all of the complex carbs. Does that mean you were eating more refined carbs like the typical western diet?? White bread, cereal, pancakes, pasta?? As far as I can tell from your posts you have never truly eliminated many of the known exacerbaters of this disease. I truly hope you give yourself a chance to research some of this information and try to apply the principles. I get the sense that your doubting that it can work (which I totally understand, I did too and hung onto every conventional remedy I could, but the last one made my hair fall out - Yasmin birt h control, worked like a dream but hormones are very tricky). My concern is that your post implies that you tried diet and it didn't work, and I hate for you to discourage others from trying this approach. Put it this way, after about 24 years I've finally found the connections to this brutal disease and I don't need to stay on this board anymore, I just want to help people. If I had this information in my teens and twenties, my life could have literally taken a different course. I'm ok with things the way they are, but I lost out on so many opportunities because of my embarrassment over my face. It compromised so many areas for me, it makes me sick to think about it. You just have to feel fortunate to have found the answers and move on. Now I just want to get to as many people as I can, cause I know how much it SUCKS!! Anyway, I'm not trying to be harsh or mean, just asking that you are careful about how things can be perceived. I was thrown off course many a time over the years I've been researching this by posts that dissed this as a remedy, when they may not have doing the right things. Keep in touch, I would love to know if you find answers for yourself.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:50 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

wholegrain HB User

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding! I'm not the best communicator sometimes. I think we're on two totally different pages right now. Okay, so let's get some clarity here. Firstly, I think you're referring to this quote from one of my past posts in this thread:

"What could have been causing it when I was eating a high protein, low carb diet the other 7 years?"

I wasn't eating a low carb diet on purpose. Looking back on my words, it does seem like that's what I was trying to say...I apologize for that. I wasn't dieting or anything at all, just eating how I grew up and what I liked. I didn't eat a whole lot of carbohydrates then simply because they weren't my favorite. I preferred to just eat the meat and cheese of a sandwich without anything else, for example. When I did eat carbs, yes they were usually refined.

However, I've read more of your posts now and I've learned that I was eating a lot of other things during that time period that could have been causing acne.

You said, "As far as I can tell from your posts you have never truly eliminated many of the known exacerbaters of this disease." You are correct. I have never heard of Loren Cordain or the Paleo diet until you exposed me to them here.

You also said, "My concern is that your post implies that you tried diet and it didn't work". That's not entirely true. I did say something like, "I have had absolutely no luck combatting acne with diet". I shouldn't have said that, because it inaccurately conveys what I mean. I *DID* revert to a much healthier lifestyle a few years ago, but I didn't do it because of acne. I did it for a lot of other, more important reasons. The abolishment of acne was just a side effect I'd heard about a healthy diet having. But then when I began a healthy diet for my reasons, my skin didn't change and I thought, "Oh well that isn't true...oh well.".

But like I said, I had never heard of the Paleo diet before and I'd also never heard of low carb diets being good for acne. I always thought that the typical dietary acne restrictions were junk food and grease and smoking.

Please don't think I'm opposing you. I actually am playing a show at a huge bookstore tomorrow and I was going to look for Cordain's books while I was there. I am interested in what you have to say. I'm definitely not the type of person who is afraid of learning. For the most part, I try to retain ideas, not beliefs.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:12 PM   #12
(male)

gipper62 HB User

Stojack--I follow the Cordain dietary principles, but my skin is still oily---which seems to be the biggest contributor to acne----or why would accutane work. Since you seem to thoroughly understand the Cordain method---what are your thoughts on the oiliness?

Old 01-03-2007, 06:17 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

stojack HB User

Wholegrain,
I'm glad we're on the same page. I truly hope you can find some relief by making some modifications to your diet. It seems like you have a very healthy attitude about acne now, not nearly as obsessive as I could be, but I know if you're here it bothers you enough to want to get rid of it. Cordain's book may not be carried in stores yet. I found it on the internet. If I post the site the moderator will remove it so just do a google on the title as I indicated in the thread and you should have no problem finding it. I think you'll really enjoy the way he lays out the cause and effect. He shows the biological reasons that people like us are effected by food. It was so refreshing to get some answers. I differ with he title a little because I know and you know that if you have acne there is no cure. There are various ways to control the disorder but the only cure is your body eventually regulates itself. He explains alot about how during puberty our bodies are naturally insulin resistant, which is why so many teenagers experience acne (this is actually a well known medical fact, no one disputes this) but why do some of us not outgrow it after puberty. My guess is we remain somewhat insulin resistant and our bodies can't handle extreme swings in blood sugar without wreaking hormonal upheaval just like some peoples bodies are prone to high cholesteral. Regardless, I hope you find it as interesting as I do.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:54 AM   #14
(male)

gipper62 HB User

Stojack--I am probably a lot older than you and have been battling this all my life. I don't have severe breakouts any more, but I just don't like feeling like a greaseball whose skin is constantly on alert for a breakout. My diet consists of oatmeal for breakfast, protein(fish, turkey, etc.,) for lunch with Ezekiel low glycemic bread, and salad bar for dinner. I take the standard supplements with fish and borage oil and rice protein.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-04-2007 at 07:09 AM.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:30 AM   #15
Inactive

lindamh HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipper62
Stojack--I am probably a lot older than you and have been battling this all my life. I don't have severe breakouts any more, but I just don't like feeling like a greaseball whose skin is constantly on alert for a breakout. My diet consists of oatmeal for breakfast, protein(fish, turkey, etc.,) for lunch with Ezekiel low glycemic bread, and salad bar for dinner. I take the standard supplements with fish and borage oil and rice protein.
You can try adding supplements that block DHTs that stimulate oil. I took Zinc and Saw Palmetto and my skin got to where it wasn't very oily anymore. Then I changed my diet. I'm 41, BTW, and all this just happened for me last year.

Zinc, Saw Palmetto, Nettle Leaf, green tea, beta-sitosterol are some examples of things you can take that don't involve massive numbers of pills.

Closed Thread