It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2006, 03:08 PM   #1
(female)

Jess087 HB User
Question Tea Tree Oil for acne?

I was just wondering if anybody on here ever tried it. I've heard it helps very well but it's really expensive. I want to know if it actually WORKS before spending $10+ on a little bottle of the stuff.

Old 12-30-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
(female)

Bigbone HB User
Re: Tea Tree Oil for acne?

Hey, I use the body shop's tea tree oil cleanser and I've had very good results. I used to break out constantly, but after using the cleanser I've found that they healed faster and I'm starting to get less breakouts. Its not that expensive actually, the body shop carries them pretty cheap.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2006, 07:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

Nah, it won't do much for you. Don't use full strength on face either, will irritate and probably make the acne worse.

My experience, it didn't help at all.

Maybe psychologically for a little while. :P

Old 12-30-2006, 09:28 PM   #4
(female)

GirlWithInfo HB User

I used some tea tree oil lotion stuff before and it was a waste of money. Here is the secret to clear skin (it takes dedication and time but well worth the hard work). First wash your face with a deep cleansing face wash. Next use a toner to minize those pores and clean em out. Finally finish will a replaring lotion (that fits your skin type...like oily or dry). Try using if able..."Proactive". It really works but you got to be faithful to it. Put it next to your bible...use it daily sometimes twice!

Old 12-31-2006, 08:46 AM   #5
(female)

Jess087 HB User

Thanks for the input guys.. I've tried everything I could get my hands on and nothing seems to keep me clear for more than a week or even worse just makes me break out even more. As for proactiv, it doesn't work for me. So I'm gonna see about looking into the tea tree oil cleanser. Thanks again guys.

Old 12-31-2006, 02:22 PM   #6
(female)

112205 HB User

proactive works well. another thing you might want to try is something called AcneFree....i got mine at Wal-Mart. that works like proactive and its cheaper. also use lotion that doesnt clog your pores. if not your skin could get overdry and make your acne a lot worse. hope this was helpful!

Old 01-03-2007, 01:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

waterlily HB User

It shrinks zits but won't keep acne away. But I agree a tea tree oil cleanser helps keep the skin clear.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:53 AM   #8
(female)

acnelover HB User

Be careful guys...Tea Tree Oil is great but has shown to stimulate breast tissue in mice in the labratory!

Old 01-09-2007, 11:04 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

davelacb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by acnelover
Be careful guys...Tea Tree Oil is great but has shown to stimulate breast tissue in mice in the labratory!
So, you're saying i'm going to grow breasts on my face?!?
J/K LOL

I've tried Tea Tree Oil and it did nothing for me, then again I didnt use it for too long. Proactive is something, meaning that their advertising is good. I've been a member here for quite some time and tried Proactive when it first came out years back, it didnt work. I started seeing more commercials and I tried it again, didnt work. Started seeing all the celebs on advertising it so I tried it again, didnt work. Its now about a year or so since the last time I tried it and now they got even more celebs, Jessica Simpson, Puffy and Lindsey Lohan (if she counts lol) and I almost wanna try it again. Now thats some powerful advertising.

Old 01-10-2007, 04:30 PM   #10
(male)

Whisker HB User

Tea Tree Oil is effective at treating acne, but it won't cure it. It contains antimicrobial and antifungal components as well as substances that boost the skin's ability to heal, so it can kill bacterial acne infections while helping the skin heal from previous infections. However, tea trea oil is powerful and can be caustic if used too much in one day. Tea tree oil works will with other essential oils, such as essential oil of lavender.

Tea tree oil can be purchased for less than $6 at target, making it cheaper than some benzoyl peroxide lotions. It is often compared to benzoyl peroxide, except that it takes longer to work.

Tea tree oil increases the circulation under the skin it's applied on, so it increases cellular turnover and has been reported to speed up healing of red marks. However, I have not had success using tea tree oil to clear red marks.

Tea tree oil is better suited to mild cases of acne, and is better suited to control clusters of tiny pimples than true acne.

True acne can only be cured internally, and the safest way to do so is with a diet based approach.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:28 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

cuddledumplin HB User

Tea tree oil works well for me as a spot treatment. I use an oil free moisturizer before I apply it though because it can chap your skin when applied full strength. (Benzoyl peroxide does the same thing to me though). I think the last bottle I bought was $4.76 or so at WalMart, but it lasts forever.

Concerning red marks, I do find that if I use tea tree oil that pimples that would likely cause red marks don't.

Closed Thread