It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

stojack HB User
Oranges and cystic acne??

Has anyone experienced an outbreak from oranges? I've controlled my mainly cystic acne with diet for around six months now and recently experienced cysts on my chin/jawline. I ate about 3 oranges over the weekend, and thought I recalled hearing they can cause problems. Any thoughts??

Old 01-13-2007, 03:23 PM   #2
Inactive

lindamh HB User
Re: Oranges and cystic acne??

Quote:
Originally Posted by stojack View Post
Has anyone experienced an outbreak from oranges? I've controlled my mainly cystic acne with diet for around six months now and recently experienced cysts on my chin/jawline. I ate about 3 oranges over the weekend, and thought I recalled hearing they can cause problems. Any thoughts??
Yes. I used to have horrible cysts all along jawline, hairline, neck, etc from eating oranges. I quit eating oranges 15 years ago, but recently had my allergies checked and I am mildly allergic to them, so that might be why.

Other fruit/juices have a lesser effect so it's hard to figure. And have since discovered that drinking water with lemon or lime all day long causes a few cysts while having lemon in my ice tea at lunch every day or so seems ok.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

stojack HB User

Hey lindham,
it seems you and i are very similar. both long time sufferers, finally controlling with diet and having a reaction to oranges. i'm afraid to test the orange thing again, it's the only thing i can think of that was out of the ordinary. i read in a few articles on the web that many people have a reaction to oranges. do you know why beyond allergy they seem to be problematic??

Old 01-16-2007, 05:56 AM   #4
(female)

princessloki HB User

WOW i never thought about this before but it makes sense. I'm not a big orange person (ummm, that is i don't eat oranges that often) but the more I think about it during times that I increased my consumption (2 or more a day - sometimes you get cravings lol) I would get cystic acne as well, mostly on my forehead. I'm also mildly allergic to them; however, i'm mildly allergic to alot of foods and the most I thought I experienced in ways of side-effects was an upset stomach. Thanks for bringing this up - i know what to avoid now!

Old 01-16-2007, 10:02 AM   #5
Inactive

lindamh HB User

Quote:
Hey lindham,
it seems you and i are very similar. both long time sufferers, finally controlling with diet and having a reaction to oranges. i'm afraid to test the orange thing again, it's the only thing i can think of that was out of the ordinary. i read in a few articles on the web that many people have a reaction to oranges. do you know why beyond allergy they seem to be problematic??
No, but it's apparently a common allergen as that is what I was tested for. And I don't know if the cysts are because of the allergy, or if the allergy is just a coincidence as according to the tests, I'm just as allergic to many things: my cats, cow dairy, egg whites, etc, that don't cause me any apparent problems.

Also, since clearing my skin with diet, I was able to notice that other fruit juices also cause problems to my otherwise clear skin if I have too much of them. Like lemon or lime with water or tea. Apparently having some with a drink while dining out is no problem. But I discovered that I can't drink it all day long. I used to cut up a lime and use it all in a day or so and that caused me to have a few cysts. I also got a few cysts after having 2 glasses of guanaba juice on a trip and half a carton of large passion fruit juice over a weekend gave me one cyst. But I've had the rest of the carton since without another breakout.

I think juices seem to be more of a problem than the fruit, but I was eating small whole oranges as an afternoon snack when I realized they were causing my cysts. And I think I had a reaction after just eating a couple of wedges served after dinner at a vietnamese restaurant. But that was 15 years ago. I don't remember. I've been afraid to have tangerines all this time too.

Last edited by lindamh; 01-16-2007 at 04:59 PM.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:18 AM   #6
(female)

caymanbabes HB User

Thanks for posting this - oranges also make me break out. I also seem to have the same reaction to baby carrots, but when I looked it up on the internet everything I found said that carrots and oranges were good for your skin and helped clear up acne?? So I thought I was imagining this. Is it the orange colour - the beta carotin or something?! If anything can shed any light on why I'd be really grateful!

I'm not allergic to anything, no one in my family is, I've suffered from adult acne since I turned 30 for no obvious reason. I started taking the Yasmin BCP two months ago but it hasn't made any difference at all, disappointingly.

Please, can anyone shed any light on why oranges and carrots might make people break out, and what other foods could have the same effect? I'd never thought about fruit juices having the same effect - silly I know - but I just thought they were good for me!

Also, I take GNC women's ultra mega vitamins, and notice that they have an "antioxidant fruit and veg blend" which includes all sorts of things as well as orange and carrot powders. Should I switch vitamins? I thought these vitamins were really good for you (they sure cost enough)?? Any suggestions? Do any of those vitamins that say they are good for your skin actually work??

Thanks for any tips!

Old 01-17-2007, 06:59 AM   #7
Inactive

lindamh HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caymanbabes View Post
Thanks for posting this - oranges also make me break out. I also seem to have the same reaction to baby carrots, but when I looked it up on the internet everything I found said that carrots and oranges were good for your skin and helped clear up acne?? So I thought I was imagining this. Is it the orange colour - the beta carotin or something?! If anything can shed any light on why I'd be really grateful!

I'm not allergic to anything, no one in my family is, I've suffered from adult acne since I turned 30 for no obvious reason.
Well, I wasn't aware I was allergic to anything either. I just thought maybe there was an allergy causing my sinus problems so I was tested for common allergies. And it turns out, I'm mildly allergic to many things, including the pets I've always had, none of which have any noticable affect on me.

Also, oranges are a high glycemic fruit, and most juices are high glycemic as are carots, too, so it could be the sugar, too. Or something else. And my allergy could be a coincidence.

Last edited by lindamh; 01-17-2007 at 07:00 AM.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:18 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

stojack HB User

Hi caymanbabe,
You're stuck right there with us in the labyrinth that is the diet and acne connection. Unfortunately, there are some things that are conflicting, some people can eat one thing and another person can't. So with that said, my best advice to you is to start by eliminating the known offenders and going from there. That's what I did and gradually add certain things back in moderation. I would eliminate first and foremast all simple sugars ( I use stevia as a sugar substitute), you have to be really careful here cause sugar hides in many things, high fructose corn syrup, honey, etc. I rarely eat packaged foods, sounds hard I know, but once you learn how to manage it's ok. I would also eliminate as many grains as possible, many gurus, Cordain, Perricone, Dr. Mercola, all believe grains wreak havoc on acne. Not just from a blood sugar perspective, but gluten is also a know sensitivity for acne patients. Some people can tolerate grains in moderation, high fiber/lowglycemic types. I suggest adding them back in if you get clear and want to see how you do with them. As for supplements, I take the same muti as you with no problem, not sure about the other one your taking. I also take an EFA mix, cause' I believe aside from just acne omega's are crucial to good overall health, I just added in a zinc supplement and saw palmetto cause I still get oilier than i would like and they're supposed to be natural DHT inhibitors, i just started these, so can't attest to effectiveness but lindam has had success. Here's my take on supplements, I was taking every supplement known to man for acne and they weren't working. Then I adjusted my diet and cut out all the extraneous supplements and focus on the ones i just mentioned. My feeling is that all the supplements in the world won't give most people clear skin. I say most cause some people may have a simple deficiency and find a fix. But there's so much science now that points to insulin resistance/blood sugar management for people like us and that's what works for me. One last thing on supplements, just to make it even more confusing, my friend told me she was taking the same gnc multi as us and it made her break out, she had acne in her teens and twenties, but cleared for the most part in her thirties, but this apparantly gave her problems.

Here's what I eat just to cut to the chase,

-All meats and seafood, try to focus on the lean varieties
-All veggies except potatoes. I keep coleslaw around that I make with some flax oil and smart balance omego mayo, tons of salad, roasted/steamed veggies,etc
-All fruits, except bananas, mangos, oranges (cause we both may be reacting here) and any other high glycemic fruit. Oddly I can eat my weight in watermelon which has a high glycemic number but a rather low glycemic load because of it's high water content.
-Pumpkin seeds, I get them roasted or roast them myself with a little coconut oil and salt
-Coconut flour, oil and flakes (unsweetened) find recipes on web, can be used for low carb treats. A company called Tropical Traditions has some good products, but if you do a search you can find others as well, that's just where I get mine right now, seems to be most cost effective. At the very least do a google on the "health benefits of coconut oil". I got this tip out of a book for acne cures by Leo Kiesen, he's a former sufferer who went to great lengths to cure his acne. His book has alot of cleanse information and stuff on supplements. I stole some tricks from him, but ultimately his protocol was too hard for me to follow regularly.
-85% cocoa chocolate bars. Lindt makes ones that I can have, very low sugar.
-I drink tons of decaf teas and water, no juice, soda, coffee, nothing w/ caffeine or sugar.
- I seem to be ok with some nuts, but I think it's important to keep them in moderation, I've heard from many acne sufferers that nuts are a problem for them.

This is a start, let me know what ya think

Old 01-17-2007, 08:41 AM   #9
Inactive

lindamh HB User

I just found this post about oranges by Anibanani

'something to do with them being estrogenic I 'm not sure specifically all I know is if I eat them I breakout same goes with potatoes, although I've eaten soup with carrots in it and I didn't breakout so I guess small quanity shouldn't hurt. You can look up the details or just ask sweetjade she knows her stuff. fruits & vegetables that are acidic are upsetting to the kidneys which are major organs in detoxifying the body, for example tomatoes, limes, lemons and oranges, now I know from what I said before I'm contradicting myself but moderation is key and finding out what your body doesn't accept is a huge factor too. I personally steer clear from oranges and tomatoes, but I do drink lemon water and eat carrots in soups. So you just gotta figure out what works for you.'

In this old thread:
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=266932&page=5[/url]

I also saw something by sweetjade1 about how much worse fructose can be than other forms of sugar. But I can't find it now.

This is important to figure out, because if I had tried the diet thing without having already discovered my problem with oranges, I would have still had severe cystic acne and would have believed that diet didn't work.

Last edited by lindamh; 01-17-2007 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Clarity

Old 01-17-2007, 09:52 AM   #10
Inactive

lindamh HB User

Found another interesting thing:

From SweetJade1 about how long it takes for a pimple to form:

Allergies: minutes - 24 hours

Intolerance: 24 hours - 2 weeks

Sensitivity: may respond as quickly as an allergy or not

Insulin-Acne connection or Glucose Intolerant form of Insulin Resistance: 2 -3 days or 5 - 7 days (depending on the type of carbohydrate or added sugar)

In this thread about diet/Acne connection:
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=254590&page=12[/url]

I recall that I had a cyst the next day after eating an orange, so that would imply that it is an allergy or food intolerance. It was a couple of days for the fruit juices.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:03 PM   #11
Inactive

lindamh HB User

Quote:
I just added in a zinc supplement and saw palmetto cause I still get oilier than i would like and they're supposed to be natural DHT inhibitors, i just started these, so can't attest to effectiveness but lindam has had success.
It just occured to me that I should mention I also started taking 2,000 mg of vitamin C at some point while taking zinc and Saw Palmetto. And vitamin C
has a histamine blocking effect which would help with inflammation/redness. I have rosacea and am sure it has helped with this.

It wouldn't have anything to do with my skin getting less oily though. That's the Saw Palmetto and Zinc. Nettle Leaf, something called Pygeum, Pumpkin seeds and Green Tea also have DHT inhibitors or receptor blockers. A woman (NettleWorks) posted a while back that Nettle Leaf supplements cured her teen son.

Closed Thread