It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2003, 06:19 PM   #1

guychan HB User
Post PLease read no acne in a while, But can Differin cause more damage then good?

Well first off,im back on the board and happy to be. For some reason it wouldnt let me post for like the past 2 months, but today it finally worked.

Most know if not, ill sumarize. I have oily t zone skin and I had pimples mostly on my cheeks. Now not tons of pimples, but the ones i got where big and hard more like cysts, or pimples that just reoccuring in the same spot and then going away and then coming back.

I tried all the basic stuff, and got proactiv it worked then stopped. I went to the derm and she prescribed Differin. I started it and broke out worse. Now it has been like over a month and i havent had like any real breakouts. Maybe a pimples or 2 hear, but nothing like i was getting, this stuff is working great.

My concern is the long tern effect. how long do i have to use it, and is it going to jsut hurt my skin more. It says only use it at night ,which i was doing but i was still breaking out. SO i use it morning and night, but very litle in morning and like i said for over a month now no breakouts. Am i harming my skin by using it 2 times a day? my skin seems to be fine and all, I just dont know what else i can do cause this is the only stuff that worked. I think it makes my skin feel a little tight, but it doesnt flake, should i still moisturize?

Old 07-06-2003, 07:07 PM   #2
Veteran

linnybee428 HB User
Keep with the routine you are doing, as long as it is working for you and you are not noticing any irritation, you should be fine in the long run. Just be careful in the sun and be gentle with your skin. If you are not bothered by the tightness, you might not want to moisturize because you run the risk of breaking out on a new product. But you could always try something light (sorry I don't know much about good moisturizers). I am on tazorac and use it more than the derm prescribed, but I told her and she said my skin is looking good and I can continue doing my routine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2003, 07:35 PM   #3

JayTee HB User
yeah i would like to know more about differin too. it worked on my cysts but i dont get them anymore instead i got like 100 clogged pores, i guess theyre white heads. i wanna know if differin works on them. differin is really expensive so i havent tried them on whiteheads yet.

btw, is tazorac a similar product?

Old 07-06-2003, 07:50 PM   #4
Veteran

linnybee428 HB User
I believe they are both topical retinoids.

Old 07-07-2003, 04:40 AM   #5

guychan HB User
yeah it seems that differin is working on all my acne troubles. Everyday i wake in the up and look in the mirror and im not breaking out. BUt now i have to start eating healthy cause i toook advantage and finally realized that food is no link at all. I eat whatever and still dont break out really.

Old 07-15-2003, 07:08 PM   #6

keysh HB User
My understanding is that Taz is stronger than Diff. My son was on Differin for 10 months. It stopped working. I was never very impressed with it. It didn't seem to help with blackheads either. He started Taz almost 5 weeks ago. He uses .1% twice a day, minocycline, & cleocin on pustules. The initial breakout with Taz was much worse than any acne he had ever experienced. I was told that it purges your skin & everything has to come out before it can clear up.

Closed Thread