It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
(male)

tata77 HB User
Apple Fasts: Great Results for Face, but what about body?

Hi everyone. I havn't really posted here in awhile. I've been on a stable run for quite some time now (meaning my face has been a lot better). But I do enjoy reading these threads from time to time; they've given me so much insight on the background of acne.

So for the past month and a half, I've been following a diet slightly different than my normal lean meats, vegeys, fruits, water and occasional slips. On top of this strict diet, I've been having biweekly apple fasts that last for 2 days. This apple fast consists strictly of apples, lemoned water, and green tea. I also take fiber supplements to help with bowel movements. The reason I decided to incorporate this was b/c I noticed something interesting...

Whenever I decided to go on a colon cleanse, it would always initiate with an apple fast. And I discovered a very strong correlation btwn going on an apple fast, and my skin beginning to clear up. However, after the colon cleanse, when I began to eat normal foods again, I realized that I went back to my normal breakouts. So I realized that my temporary clearing up had some kind of relationship with letting my digestive system take a break. For this reason, I planned to have bi-weekly apple fasts along with my strict diet. And to my joy, my face began clearing up to points further than what I normally expected. Even more amazing was that I experimented my theory on my brother, who has a more severe case than me, and incredibly even he began to undergo rapid healing. This was great and I was happy; but I have constantly pondered the question of whether my body was reacting to it negatively.

As we all know, fasts in general are extremely difficult, and are highly energy-draining, especially for a college student. So far, I've managed to suck it up, but what I want to know is if these fasts are hurting my body in anyway. Obviously my body would like some glucose and energy, but aside from the normal hunger, is there any severe precautions I should watch out for? I obviously return to my normal eating habits after the fast, and regain all of my energy, but is there something I should know about fasts before I continue with my regime? This topic is open for all discussion, but it would be awesome if someone who really knew about this subject could answer my question directly. I am also open to questions and suggestions. Thank you for reading this forum and good luck with everyone in their battle against acne.

PS: DIET = CURE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
Inactive

lindamh HB User
Re: Apple Fasts: Great Results for Face, but what about body?

Well you obviously wouldn't be getting all the nutrients you need on the days you fast.

What does your strict diet entail?

Old 01-24-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
(male)

tata77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindam View Post
Well you obviously wouldn't be getting all the nutrients you need on the days you fast.

What does your strict diet entail?

Hi lindam, when I'm not on the fast.....

Breakfast: Lots of fruits, consisting of apples, oranges, grapefruit, and pears (these are the only fruits available in my collge dorm. I drink my green tea and get my cup of water with squeezed lemon. Sometimes I'll eat my eggs and oatmeal in the morning if I have time.

Lunch: Large salad with all the vegeys you can think of (free salad bar), using only romaine lettuce and baby spinach. I make sure to use only the vegeys that have been freshly cut and not from a can. For dressing, I simply squeeze in a few lemons. It ain't too bad but it does get boring. I drink my lemoned water and get my fruits for dessert.

Dinner: Another salad, but with lean grilled chicken throw in. Sometimes I eat fish for dinner. I eat hard-boiled eggs sometimes and again get my lemoned water.

This is the typical day for me. Occasionally I go out with friends and eat whatever is on the menu, but I usually order salad with meat.

On my fast:
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner: Apples, Lemoned water, green tea, fiber supplements (basically stuff for a mini colon cleanse)

Hope this helps.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
Inactive

lindamh HB User

Well, I have an allergy/intolerance to things you are eating a lot of that cause me horrible cysts. Perhaps you should look into that.

I can't eat oranges at all and a recent test revealed a mild allergy. But I also can't have too much lemon or lime and some other fruits. Like I know I can have lemon in my tea or water at lunch once a day, but I can't have it several times a day or I will get some cysts on my neck and back. I also had a breakout after having a couple glasses of guanaba juice plus fruit for breakfast for several days in a row. Same thing happened with Passion fruit juice I bought for a treat over the holidays. The breakout from these is no where near as severe as when I ate oranges, but they are only breakouts I've had since I figured out the lemon/lime thing last summer.

They didn't test for allergies to other citrus, and don't think the tests revealed any other fruit allergies, so I just have to use caution. But they supposedly tested for common allergens, which means many people must be allergic to oranges.

But that looks like a pretty good diet without any simple carbs and plenty of fiber. If diet is to help you anymore, I think you'd have to look into other things that cause acne for some people like grains and legumes. That info is in the Cordain book according to discussions here. Those things aren't a problem for me so I don't know much about that.

But I don't think you should have to fast so often. Unless there is something more serious going on with your liver or digestive system. I hope not.

Closed Thread