It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2003, 10:00 AM   #1
(female)

too old for this HB User
Post increased oil on differin?

Hi, differin users. I've read on this board that differin can dry out the skin, but has anyone ever had an increase in oiliness? I've been using it for a week and a half and my face seems much oilier than usual. I wake up oilier, and I have to blot more throughout the day.

Is this just until my face gets used to it, or will it keep happening as long I as use the differin? Any feedback is appreciated.

So far I haven't had the initial breakout -- keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by too old for this (edited 06-30-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2003, 09:03 PM   #2
(female)

el_9_el HB User
hey,
are you using the gel or the cream? Because i've used both and found that the gel dried me out but the cream didn't....so perhaps, if you're using the cream, you could give the gel a shot?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2003, 09:16 AM   #3
(female)

too old for this HB User
Hey el, I'm using the cream, which is what the derm prescribed. I guess I can ask to switch at some point, if I'm unhappy with the cream.

I'm wondering if the increased oil is just because of the hot weather, or a combination of heat and the differin. It's not intolerable, though. I'll stick it out for a while with the cream and see what happens.

Old 07-01-2003, 01:13 PM   #4

mariee HB User
i'm on the cream, and i definately notice my nose is shiny all the time now and it didn't used to be. doesn't bother me enough to stop using it, though.

Old 07-01-2003, 11:11 PM   #5

Bugsy HB User
Red face

Hey all, I've been using the Differin gel for almost a month now. I have noticed an increased oily feeling on my face. My pores seem smaller though. I still break out, but I dont get those hugh cysts anymore and my zits don't get infected like before.

Old 07-03-2003, 08:56 PM   #6
Veteran

EMMANUEL HB User
I hated differin. I felt it made my skin so much worse.

That was just my experience though--maybe you'll have better luck.

Peace

~*Emma*~

Old 07-04-2003, 08:11 AM   #7
(female)

Catherine21 HB User
My skin seemed oilier on Differin, too. I used it for a year, and it seemed to help, but to me oiliness is as bad as acne.

Old 07-16-2003, 07:15 AM   #8

pearpen27 HB User
I hated Diffrin too. Seems to me it didn't work and in fact made acne worse. And I am not refering to an intial breakout period. Acne I had never went away and skin looked very red and flakey, especially around my ears and neck. YUCK!!! Did not want people looking to closely at my face. Differin seemed to not only NOT clear my skin but also to cause whiteheads which I have never had before using the product. After I stopped using it whiteheads have gone away.

Old 07-16-2003, 11:44 AM   #9
(female)

too old for this HB User
Hi everyone, thanks for all your responses. I've been on the differin for 4 weeks now. Verdict: cautiously optimistic.

The oiliness is still there. My face gets red, especially after showering or physical exertion, but I don't really mind since I'm really pale and can use the color! LOL. It kind of looks like I've been out in the sun.

The differin has eliminated those tiny, skin-colored bumps I had on my forehead. I've been getting some small whiteheads here or there on my chin and cheeks, but I always had those, and the differin seems to kill them quickly. I got one nodule on my cheek, but I'm rather surprised at how quickly it's going down. (The little b*st*rd just refuses to come to a head; I've been striving to keep a HANDS OFF policy.)

As for the bacne, wow, differin is really helping! Again, some small whiteheads, but they go away fast. A few bigger ones but the differin is, I think, preventing them from becoming huge, purple mosters. The clusters of old red marks are fading. Overall the skin there looks smoother and clearer. If the clearing continues I hope to have something approaching normal skin on my back in another month or so. <fingers crossed>

Old 07-16-2003, 12:03 PM   #10

JayTee HB User
Hi guys!
Does anybody know if using benzoyl or salicylic acid once or twice a week ok while on differin?

Closed Thread