It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
(female)

barb3246 HB User
Question Question for Spiro Users

I have been taking spironolactone for about 2 months now, 50 mg twice a day. My last 2 periods came a few days sooner that I was expecting, but that was no bid deal. Today I started bleeding again, and I just finished my period a little over a week ago. Is this normal? Has anyone else had problems with their cycle after taking spiro? Do things go back to normal eventually, or will this be how it is for now on?

Old 01-29-2007, 03:43 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

tiggerbuddy HB User
Re: Question for Spiro Users

breakthrough bleeding and fluctuations in your menstrual cycle are a common side effect of Spiro. Many docs who prescribe Spiro also recommend a woman be on birth control pills to help regulate things. I've been taking 200mg of Spiro (and birth control pills) and my cycle has been completely the same as it was before I started spiro. I'm not really sure if things will normalize after awhile. My guess would be yes since it works on blood levels of hormone and after a few months things might have settled down. If you're concerned, I'd talk to your doc or the pharmacist. good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2007, 05:20 PM   #3
(female)

LisaMarie982001 HB User

yea, don't worry. I was the same way but now everything is back to normal, just give it time.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:04 PM   #4
(female)

lil0obebe HB User

what dosage are you currently taking? And are you currently clear? I'm on 100mg 4 month going on to 5 now and this month I've noticed a drastic decrease in OIL.. before my hair would be a grease ball half way through the day and now it's just dry and managable.. amazing!!! My skin isn't dry by any means but it's not a grease ball and it's just like a dewy kiss glow. For the past 3 months I've had periods twice in a month and I'm hoping it'd get sorted out by itself too! It's soo frustrating... more periods or clearer skin???? lol

Old 01-29-2007, 07:05 PM   #5
(female)

hopetobeclear HB User

couple messages:

Hi peachy,
How's everything going with the spiro?

And, Lil0obebe,
How is it going for you? How are your results with your acne at month 4/5?

I'm just started month 3 at 200 mgs/day....still hoping for clear skin....

Oh, and, I spotted a little bit last month, but I am on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen so it has been keeping me pretty normal.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:09 PM   #6
(female)

lil0obebe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie982001 View Post
yea, don't worry. I was the same way but now everything is back to normal, just give it time.
oops.. the dosage question was for u.. what dosage are you currently on and are u clear?

Old 01-29-2007, 11:11 PM   #7
(female)

lil0obebe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopetobeclear View Post
couple messages:

Hi peachy,

And, Lil0obebe,
How is it going for you? How are your results with your acne at month 4/5?

I'm just started month 3 at 200 mgs/day....still hoping for clear skin....

Oh, and, I spotted a little bit last month, but I am on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen so it has been keeping me pretty normal.
Still kinda breaking out but my skin isn't oily anymore and I'm happpy!!!! Hair is great all day too.. no oil!!!!!

Old 01-30-2007, 02:20 AM   #8
(female)

LisaMarie982001 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil0obebe View Post
oops.. the dosage question was for u.. what dosage are you currently on and are u clear?

For the first 5 months I was on 100mgs, acouple days before my 5th month I called the derm and asked if I could add 50mgs per day. After a couple of days of being on 150mgs I could see that I wasn't getting new break outs. On feb 16th it will be 7 months for me. I am completely acne free (knock on wood) right now and even on the period time I was clear. I couldn't believe it!! Being clear frees soo new to me right now. I am just left with scars.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:28 AM   #9
(female)

lil0obebe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie982001 View Post
For the first 5 months I was on 100mgs, acouple days before my 5th month I called the derm and asked if I could add 50mgs per day. After a couple of days of being on 150mgs I could see that I wasn't getting new break outs. On feb 16th it will be 7 months for me. I am completely acne free (knock on wood) right now and even on the period time I was clear. I couldn't believe it!! Being clear frees soo new to me right now. I am just left with scars.
Oh nice! Maybe I should up my dose. Are you taking birth control too???? I'm not because I don't do well with them that's y my periods are all out of wack. Did yours sort itself out???

Old 01-30-2007, 10:21 AM   #10
Inactive

lindamh HB User

I don't know. I think spiro works by blocking the reception of DHT in the follicles. It doesn't lower hormone levels. If that's the case, then I think if it's going to work for you, it will work right away.

I know I can change the oilyness of my hair on any given day by increasing and decreasing the dosage.

Changing your diet can lower hormone levels as glucose or insulin stimulate the production of testosterone. And Birth control helps by balancing excess testosterone.

There can be two things going on here. High levels of testosterone and high sensitivity in the receptors. So you don't necessarily have to currently have high testosterone levels. I don't. Apparently I'm just extremely sensitive to any amount of testosterone. Which is why Spiro has an immediate effect on me.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:12 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopetobeclear View Post
Hi peachy,
Things are going allright-- for those of you who don't know...I started taking 25 mg a day on Nov. 21, and gradually worked up to 200mg a day on Dec. 12. My side effects have mostly gone away. Before, I would feel really jittery and lethargic, but now I'm fine. I have been drinking A TON of water, and making sure I eat a lot throughout the day. Unfortunately, my skin is very very dry, even when I glob on moisturizer. I tried using Aveeno's daily scrub for awhile to try and get rid of the flakiness, but that made things worse, so I stopped. I decided about a week ago to stop taking Minocycline (which I had been taking for years). I'm hoping Spiro alone will do the trick, although all the times in the past that I tried to discontinue Minocycline ended in me breaking out and then starting to take it again- hopefully this time will be different (*knock on wood*)! As far as my acne goes, I've had a few zits here and there, but nothing huge. Pretty much about the same level of acne that I had before taking Spiro. I'm also taking Spiro for mild hirsutism, and that seems about the same so far as well.

Last edited by tiggerbuddy; 01-30-2007 at 11:12 AM.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:02 AM   #12
(female)

LisaMarie982001 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil0obebe View Post
Oh nice! Maybe I should up my dose. Are you taking birth control too???? I'm not because I don't do well with them that's y my periods are all out of wack. Did yours sort itself out???
Yea, I'm on OTC birth control pills.
Everything has sort it self out now, they are fine.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:33 AM   #13
(female)

kesae HB User

Has anyone checked their blood pressure to see if it has changed?

Closed Thread