It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
(female)

sydtrick HB User
Question Finacea question.....New Here !

I have been using Finacea/twice daily and Doxycycline/twice daily for about 2 weeks now (I also am using purpose soap and purpose moisturizer on the recommendation of my dermatologist). It seemed like for the 1st few days or so everything was going fine.....about a week into it, I notice that my face seemed to be getting worse than better. Does Finacea tend to do this where it will get worse before better and how long before I can expect to see major improvements on my face? Also, after I put the finacea on, my face feels itchy..is this normal as well?

Thanks for your help !

Old 02-01-2007, 10:29 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Barry876 HB User
Re: Finacea question.....New Here !

2 questions for you.
What percentage doxycycline are you taking?
Doxycycline did wonders for me.
It cleared me of my acne.
I took 1 capsule per day, which was 100 MG.
Is your Doxy 50 MG or 100 MG per capsule?

On Finacea, thats a medication used to treat rosacea.
Do you have Rosacea?
Its said to helps to reduce the number of inflamed skin lesions.
The side effects when you first take it are, Burning, stinging, tingling or itching skin may occur during the first few weeks.
It subside as your body adjusts to this medication.
This medication may infrequently cause abnormal changes in skin color (hypopigmentation).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2007, 05:08 AM   #3
(female)

sydtrick HB User

Doxycycline 100 mg / twice daily
Finacea 15% / twice daily

I don't have rosacea, rather adult acne that the derm said the finacea would take care of along with reduce the red marks as well.

Last edited by sydtrick; 02-02-2007 at 10:08 AM.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
(female)

Sue21 HB User

Doxycycline works well for many people. If, after a couple months, you're not getting the results you want with it, ask you derm about 100mg of minocycline twice a day. Minocycline works great for many who had limited success with doxycycline first (including myself).

I used to use Finacea gel for acne. It is for rosacea, but it will fade the red "stains" left behind by old pimples. It will not clear up your acne in the same way that traditional acne meds do. However, it will have a drying-effect on your skin which may help decrease new breakouts. Azalex is another perscription name used for the same reasons. It's the same active ingredient (a plant extract), but Azelex is 20% and Finacea is 15%. Also, Azelex is a cream and Finacea is a gel, so Finacea is more drying. I have used both to decrease red marks and make my face drier.

Ask about using benzoyl peroxide, or a vitamin A topical gel (like Tazorac or Retin-A). Since you have adult acne, these may be too drying for you, but you may be able to use them in moderation (e.g. lowest dose, only every other night, etc)

Best of luck!

Old 02-02-2007, 03:13 PM   #5
(female)

sydtrick HB User

thank you for the info.....question for you, can you give me more info you mentioned above about Finacea "will not clear up your acne in the same way that traditional acne meds do" ?

also, how long was it before you started to notice the red marks fading and/or general improvement in your skin?

Thanks

Old 02-02-2007, 04:02 PM   #6
(female)

Sue21 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydtrick View Post
thank you for the info.....question for you, can you give me more info you mentioned above about Finacea "will not clear up your acne in the same way that traditional acne meds do" ?

also, how long was it before you started to notice the red marks fading and/or general improvement in your skin?

Thanks
You're welcome. Let me explain what I meant when I said Finacea "will not clear up your acne in the same way that traditional acne meds do":

There's usually a two-step approach to preventing future breakouts. First, eliminate bacteria that clogs your pores and causes you to break out. I love benzoyl peroxide for this. Taking antibiotics orally (as you're doing with doxycycline and I've done minocycline) is also common and very effective. Or, you can use a topical antibiotic, like Benzaclin gel or Benzamycin. These are benzoyl peroxide and a topical antibiotic together--personally I hated them. It felt like putting Elmer's glue on my face. But some love them!

Next, a topical gel can be used that makes skin reknew faster and slough off dead skin cells faster. It's usually a Vitamin A derivative gel. If you're constantly refreshing that upper new layer of skin, it's harder for pores to become clogged. Differin, Retin-A, and Tazorac all do this.

Finacea will not kill bacteria or make your skin reknew faster. It will, however dry you out. For some with excessive oil, the extra sebum blocks your pores and then you break out. Eliminating some of that excess oil can be beneficial.

The key point here is to eliminate stuff (bacteria, oil, dead skin cells, dirt) from clogging your pores, resulting in a pimple.

One work of CAUTION though. I am 20 years old and have naturally very oily skin. You previously mentioned that you had adult acne. Adults do not produce as much oil as a teenager or very young adult like myself would. So the methods that I mentioned may be too drying for you.

Consider how oily you are, and how sensitive your skin is. Then discuss that with your derm to see what kinds of medication you can handle. Honestly, to me acne is acne, but I'm sure that derms see adult acne differently than a greasy-oily 20 year old like myself.

About the red marks---not to scare you, but only time will really fade them. I might have noticed that the Finacea helped a tiny bit with the fading of the red marks, but I'm really not sure. I continued using it for about a year just to control my excess oil.

For me, what made the red spots go away is simply time. And trust me, I know that's not what you want to hear. I know how it feels when your face is technically clear (no active pimples) but to everyone else it looks like you've got a major breakout because of all those "stains".

I'd say that for all red marks to be completely faded and look like they never existed---six to ten months.

I hope that made some sense to you!

Last edited by Sue21; 02-02-2007 at 04:05 PM.

Closed Thread