It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2003, 08:21 AM   #1
(female)

SouthernTemptress HB User
Post LISTERINE ON FACE!

I know listerine kills a lot of the germs and bacteria in your mouth, so why not try it on your face? I know there are diff types of bacteria but for the last couple of days I have been splashing my face with listerine to see if there will be any changes. We'll see.

Old 07-19-2003, 08:36 AM   #2

DameC HB User
i'm not sure what is in listerine but if there is alcohol i would not put thaton your face. dehydration=breakouts in oily acne prone skin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2003, 10:13 AM   #3
Inactive

plymouth HB User
Thumbs down

It's alcohol. That's why it kills germs.

My dental hygenist says not even to use it in your mouth.

She has seen a lot of gum problems from the alcohol
dehydrating the tissues.

------------------
~p

[This message has been edited by plymouth (edited 07-19-2003).]

Old 07-19-2003, 10:51 AM   #4

PuppyPuke HB User
The only reason your hygienist says that is so that your mouth doesnt stay in good shape so you keep on coming back to HER to get your gums cleaned etc. She's only thinkin of makin money off your arse! My mouth got in BETTER shape when I started using Listerine. No more bloody gums etc from bacteria.

Old 07-19-2003, 10:59 AM   #5

PuppyPuke HB User
Strange enough Southern, you actually got a smart idea cause I searched the web and there is LOTS of info on how listerine helps acne.

GOOD CALL!

Old 07-19-2003, 11:04 AM   #6
(female)

Cool DogPuke, yeah since you mentioned that I looked up some information and I found stories where it helped people. WOW. IM ONTO SOMETHING MAYBE! THANKS!!!!!

[This message has been edited by SouthernTemptress (edited 07-19-2003).]

Old 07-19-2003, 11:11 AM   #7
(female)

lets face it though. people are talking about dehydration on this board though, but what acne products do not actually dry out your skin anyways???? at least listerine actually kills the bacteria. and how i use the listerine, my face doesnt get dry at all. i use only a few splashes and then rinse off and i see a small improvement from just doing that the past couple days once a day. so maybe i might try dabbing an actual pimple and leaving it on and see what happens.

[This message has been edited by SouthernTemptress (edited 07-19-2003).]

Old 07-19-2003, 03:52 PM   #8

DameC HB User
using it for spot treating may not be that bad of an idea, but on your whole face does not sound good to me. it may make things seem better at first but let me explain it this way. in order to have have any of the breakouts you have now, you must have somewhat oily skin. oil is not a bad thing as long as it is free flowing. if you dehydrate the epidermis, oil will most certainly not flow freely and instead will become clogged. that may take form as closed comedones(little flesh colored bumps), open comedones (blackheads) papules (inflamed lesions without pus) and papules (inflamed lesions with pus). now, if you dehydrate your face, whatever is currently there will dry up, but you are going to get into a viscious cycle. i recommend you spot treat whatever you have now with something containing tea tree oil or even BP (i prefer tt) and try to keep your skin hydrated(drink water!!!!) also, Aubrey Organics makes a good nighttime hydrator for oily and sensitive skin called VEGECELL.

Old 07-19-2003, 07:32 PM   #9
(female)

Like I said before, it's not like I am soaking my skin in listerine and keeping it on my face. A couple splashes enough to kill a little bacteria and then I rinse with water. My face is nowhere near "dehydrated" with my method. BP that you suggest is NOT good. It caused my skin to get red and actually burned some of my skin off one time. I would NEVER suggest using that stuff. All it ever did was make my face red and DRIED out my skin. By the way, using listerine was never about trying to dry up my face to get rid of the acne, it's about killing the bacteria and I think this might do the trick. Funny how people talk about "dehydration" yet many people on this board have been on accutane or worse etc which totally DRIES out your skin and your whole body for god's sake yet you're not preachin to them about it.. I'm nowhere near dehydrated but thanks for the 2cents anyways.

Old 07-20-2003, 06:43 AM   #10
(female)

lara899 HB User
I used to use this thing called Isocol (it's rubbing alcohol- whatever that means) to try & blast the occasional zit. It used to sting like hell though and was very drying!

Old 07-21-2003, 04:55 AM   #11

DameC HB User
Soutrhern Temptress,

I hardly would consider my advice preaching! I was under the impression that because you posted something here you wanted feedback or advice. you seem to be rather defensive! And as far as BP goes, i believe I mentioned that Tea Tree is a better choice but if you want to spot treat, BP should not cause much of a problem if used correctly. Some people may be more sensitive to BP and for those people I would definately rcommend Tea Tree or even Lavender Oil. If you like listerine so much, by all means keep using it and keep us posted. However, as a medical esthetician with over 1200 hours of training, I would not use it.just my opinion. Further more, I certainly do not promote the use of accutane for most people, but I do believe there is a time and a place for it. And accutane is more "drying" than dehydrating - there is a difference.

Old 07-21-2003, 08:06 PM   #12

candyzim HB User
The alcohol in it will only make your skin worse over time.

Old 07-21-2003, 08:25 PM   #13
(female)

I'm not splashing my face anymore with Listerine though because I rather but natural things on my skin than risk my face getting screwed up in the long run from the alcohol. I might try it on a couple spots though to see the reaction. Didn't mean to be rude, I was just hyped up about it and then you all came in and BLAH.
So I guess I should just pass the idea of finding my miracle in the next bottle of mouthwash.

[This message has been edited by SouthernTemptress (edited 07-22-2003).]

Old 07-21-2003, 09:54 PM   #14

50000TearsIveCried HB User
I agree, spot treatments are ok, but your entire face is just a bad idea. I for one have actually spot treated previous pimples with nail polish remover and it worked great, but I'd never dream of putting that all over my skin. As for the accutane comment, yes it does dry out your skin, but not in an irritating way such as using alcohol. It dries it out from the inside by cutting off the oil supply, in my opinion accutane is the best acne treatment ever, I enjoyed having no oil lol;-) But I'm getting off topic. Listerine all over face=bad, listerine spot treatments=ok

Old 07-22-2003, 07:53 AM   #15
(female)

tiramasu HB User
alcohol doesn't dehydrate your face at all, it IRRITATES it, making it redder. Your skin in turn produces more sebum to counter-act the irritation resulting in.....duh guess what? BREAK OUTS!! Bad idea guys. If i ever use an alcohol product on my face by accident i always know about it.

Also I'm a dental student myself, i don't believe ANY dental professional out there would tell you not to use an oral hygiene product just to keep your mouth bad for more custom, thats RUBBISH. the reason we don't recommend alcohol-based mouthwashes is for 2 reasons:
1)it reduces saliva flow resulting in reduced tooth protection and of course your gums do get drier cos of the lack of saliva
2)it's been linked with oral cancer

Closed Thread