It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2007, 10:00 AM   #1
(female)

Bride-to-Be HB User
Future Brides: read before accutane

I know already i am going to get a lot of hype for writing this, but let me state first that this is my story on Accutane, not everybodys.

I went to a derm in Oct. because i have a few blackheads and i wanted to make sure i was totally clear for my Jan. wedding. She immediately suggested Accutane. Keep in mind i have never struggled with acne. After doing some research i told her i decided not to go on accutane b/c i read it was a last resort choice. She proceeded to promise me my face would by 100% clear and i would never have a pimple for the rest of my life. She literally in a joking manner gave me her word i wouldn't have a blemish on my face for my wedding. So i waited my 30 days and in Nov i started it.

Immediately it was horrible. My wedding was 2 1/2 months away. She started me on prednisone and also an antibiotic. Well, needless to say it never got better. My face went from almost perfect, to 75% covered inflamed cystic acne. I waited and waited, but still nothing. I was promised the initial breakout would be no longer than 30 days. After switching doctors in December they demanded i get off the medicine and take more steroids and bactrim. By the time my wedding came a long i was 20lbs. heavier b/c of the steroids and my face was still painful to even touch.

I am not saying that Accutane is a horrible drug. I think that in each case it is different. But for all of you brides out there consider me before starting accutane. It literally ruined what was supposed to be the best day of my life. Don't just go to any derm. Just b/c they are a doctor doesn't mean they are good at what they do. I knew that accutane wasn't for every one, but i didn't think i would be that small percentage that hated it. But it was too late by the time i found that out.

I truly believe that accutane should be last resort only. In some cases it is the miracle drug people claim it to be. But if you have something as important as your wedding, or even prom coming up, don't risk it, and don't let anyone, even your doctor talk you out of what your gut feeling is telling you. I am now 75% scarred on my face from this and will have to live with the horrible memories of my wedding for the rest of my life. People will promise you the world, and when it comes to our looks, it is easy to believe them. Who knows what my face would look like today if i finished the course of Accutane.It could of been clear by now. But keep in mind, i was in a time crunch b/c of my wedding, and the derm knew that. All i know is I will never be the same person i was before this whole saga began. Accutane left me not only physically scarred, but mentally scarred as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2007, 12:23 AM   #2
(male)

roxcyn HB User
Re: Future Brides: read before accutane

I thought this drug was a "last resort" and to be only used by people that get big cyst type acne? At least that was what I read in the little phamplet. You are right! Your dermotologist was terrible and if you didn't have bad acne why the hell recommend a product for people who have REALLY bad acne? .

Old 04-23-2007, 08:37 AM   #3
(female)

lexiewoo HB User

your DR should have never given it to you, it is for people with acne who have tried many other things and nothing worked.... ive waited years and years before even thinking about going on it.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
(female)

Bride-to-Be HB User

My doctor sucked so badly!!! Seriously, i try really hard not to hate her. the worst part is i did my homework. I did the research and told her i did not want to go on accutane. But like i said in my long *** message, she told me that i was making a bad decision and that she guaranteed me my face would be 100% clear and i would never have another zit again for the rest of my life! I not being a professional thought i had discovered a miracle and went for it. Stupid on my part. lesson learned---trust your gut instinct.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
(female)

Sweet_Sacrifice HB User

I'm sorry it turned out like that for you I know Accutane is very strong and it really should only be perscribed to people who have been suffering severe acne for years. What your derm should have done was give you something specifically for blackheads or at least have the deceny to remove them if there weren't may; I had two on my chin that my doctor was able to remove, leaving only hardly noticable red dots that went away in about three days. I know there's nothing you can do about your wedding day, but I hope your skin clears up soon and that people were warned from reading about your experience.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-09-2007 at 03:03 PM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 05-09-2007, 02:59 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

BluEyez1031 HB User

Although I didn't try Accutane until after years of frustration with other methods, it still didn't work for me. In fact, it really destroyed my face more than anything. I had a miserable senior year of high school due to the fact that it made my skin the worst it has ever been the entire time I was on it. I can still remember a girl on the bus saying in front of everyone that I should go to a dermatologist, and that I was so pretty except for my skin. She was shocked when I told her I WAS seeing a derm.
After I stopped it, my skin didn't break out that much for about 3 months, tops. That was it. I really regret going on Accutane and I'd never recommend it to anyone!

Closed Thread