It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2003, 08:17 AM   #1
Veteran

laur HB User
Post Does something acidic like orange juice break you out??

Just curious. It may just be my body and my skin was a little dry, but the only thing I have changed is to drink one 8 oz cup of O.J. per day and take one baby aspirin per day. I am probably grasping but just though I would ask if anyone else noticed. I can't eat bananas because they break me out the next day. So I went for the OJ for potassium and some additional calcium.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
L

Old 03-05-2003, 10:22 AM   #2

dimples26 HB User
Actually I do recall my sister telling me once that orange juice will make you break out (she's a dermatologist). Orange juice for some reason gives me cold sores as well it slightly makes me break out. But you can't avoid eating and drinking certain nutrional foods just because they make you break out. Your body needs these vitamins. I still drink orange juice, just in moderations now (2-3 glasses per week) as opposed to a 4-5glasses per day like i used to.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2003, 10:25 AM   #3

ZC HB User
Eat Kiwis instead, they have more Vit C in them than oranges do.

Old 03-05-2003, 10:33 AM   #4
Veteran

TiredOfThisAll HB User
if you really want vitamin c.. eat a green pepper

Old 03-05-2003, 11:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

daylight568 HB User
100% Cranberry juice is the way to go !

Old 03-05-2003, 11:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

scouselad1974 HB User
hi early in january i decided to have a go at eating alot healthier with the new year and all that just upon us,so i bought a load of mineral water and lots of pure orange juice,i drank at least a litre of mineral water a day and 2 glasses of orange juice along with fresh fruit and as much veg as i could eat,my skin improved alot and now that i have stopped its broken out again its hard to tell if its what we eat or drink or is it a case of we would of broken out anyway its a hard one alrite

Old 07-24-2003, 08:31 PM   #7
Inactive

lindanm HB User
Oranges and orange juice give me cystic acne. I used to have it all over my jawline, neck, hairline, temples and of course chest and back. Since I stopped eating oranges, I only get them on my back with a very rare one on my jawline or back of neck. And I wonder if those are caused by the lemon in my iced tea.

Old 07-24-2003, 09:08 PM   #8

wantsittoend HB User
in my opinion, if you think oranges make you break out, it's in your head or it was a coincidence. vitamin c is supposed to be very good for your skin, and a lot of people have gone on juice diets for the purpose of clearing their skin. i drink orange juice and grapefruit juice all the time. obviously this is just my opinion, im not saying its concrete, etc, so we don't need to go there.

Old 07-25-2003, 02:54 AM   #9
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Lightbulb

I remember reading about a female celebrity (can't remember which one) also saying that whenever she drank OJ she would break out, because of the acid. Sounds like it could be a trigger for some people!

Old 07-25-2003, 06:02 AM   #10

pearpen27 HB User
I know this is a faux pas but I really believe certain foods do break me out.

Oranges are one of those foods b/c of (exactly what was said in the post before this one) the acid. Other foodsthat break me out--- too much dairy (I've switched to soy), tomatos (especially V8) and too mmany apples in one week.

Yesterday I was reading an article about skin in a very reliable magazine and the derm (who is very well respected) states "You probalby know its a myth that eating pizza or chocolate is bad for your skin. But certain foods and beverages may actually help boost your complextion."

I find a lot of inconsistency in this--- if certain foods can be good for your skin then certainly other foods may not be so good for it. Even if they are healthy foods.

Every body is different though. I found the fact that banannas caused a break out for the original poster very interesting. As far as I know I have never experienced this before but hey, some people can drink V8 24/7 and never have a blemish--- but not me...

Old 07-25-2003, 12:38 PM   #11
Inactive

lindanm HB User
The cysts appear the next day after having orange juice or oranges. And I got this from a coworker who had good skin but got occasional cysts on her chin. She came in one Monday morning with several cysts and said she had 2 glasses of orange juice over the weekend. She apparantly had this theory for some time without mentioning it which annoyed me because she watched me eat an orange as an afternoon snack each day as they were on sale that time of year. My skin was horrible at the time, and it had been better before I started snacking on the oranges daily.

Oranges do cause cystic acne. What in them causes it, I don't know. I know that once I bought a gallon jug of apple juice and by the time I finished it, I got several cysts. But with OJ, it doesn't take much at all and the reaction is nearly immediate.

If you have cystic acne, just try avoiding oranges for a while. It won't hurt you.

Closed Thread