It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
(female)

denisem76 HB User
Exclamation Best Remedy for Oily Skin? Help!

Just wondering if anyone has any effective ways for treating super oily skin. I'm curious to know, as I fight oily skin on a daily basis and find that nothing really works after an hour or two after applying. Currently use a soap for oily skin, witch hazel, benzoyl peroxide before make-up, oil-free make-up, and oil absorbing sheets a few times a day. Also, I use a mask 2x/week for oily skin. Even with all of this, I am still oily an hour after I apply my makeup. Help!

Old 04-25-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

saphire82 HB User
Re: Best Remedy for Oily Skin? Help!

Sounds like a lot of people have had success with Omega-3 fish oil supplements. You should check out the huge thread talking about it, a lot of people mention that their skin is not so oily....Ive also head a log of good things about it just for overall acne even on another acne website board. Take care!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2007, 07:52 AM   #3
(female)

denisem76 HB User

I would like to hear more testimonies about using omega-3s (fish oil or flax seed oil) to help specifically combat oily skin, not just acne, as most of the omega-3 thread seems refer to. I don't really have acne...just super oily skin. Did anyone have luck with omega-3s for treating oily skin or other supplements for oily skin? What did it do for your skin? Any side-effects? I have heard something about acidophilus capsules for oily skin... Any testimonies regarding these supplements would be appreciated.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:04 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

saphire82 HB User

Just out of curiousity you said you were using a soap for oily skin, what kind are you using? And are you using witch hazel that has alcohol in it? And...are you using a moisturizer and what kind?

Old 05-07-2007, 10:31 PM   #5
(female)

kesae HB User

There isn't anything that really works for oily skin except seeing a dermatologist. This is because oily skin happens from a horomonal imbalance. I've tried flaxseed and omega 3 and frankly nothing worked. I can wash my face and in less than an hour I will get oily skin that covers my whole face. The only thing thats seems to be working right now is prescription medications like spironolactone.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:15 AM   #6
(female)

jujubeez725 HB User
Wink Re: Best Remedy for Oily Skin? Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesae View Post
There isn't anything that really works for oily skin except seeing a dermatologist. This is because oily skin happens from a horomonal imbalance. I've tried flaxseed and omega 3 and frankly nothing worked. I can wash my face and in less than an hour I will get oily skin that covers my whole face. The only thing thats seems to be working right now is prescription medications like spironolactone.
I have super-oily skin, too!

Kesae, I agree... give me an hour after washing my face and it's shining again
I haven't tried the Omega 3 supplements, but I think I'll look into that.

One elderly lady told me a long time ago to appreciate my oily skin b/c when you get older, you'll wish your skin had some kind of "oil" to it; it tends to become "dry", from what she said.

@@Sap,
You like that Omega 3? It really works? I hope it does... I'm willing to try it.

@@Denise,
I don't know if this is still on the market, but my sister used to use a product called "Cornsilk". She said it was a foundation that was pretty good at keeping oily skin under control--if you use make-up.

For face wash, I use Neutrogena Oil-Free Fash wash. If you're already using a product with benzoyl peroxide, don't use it. It may irritate your skin.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:40 PM   #7
(male)

mikey123 HB User

hi, im just new to this website... the reason ive joined is im very very troubled at the minute, its starting to make me feel really down. The problem is i have acne but also my facial skin is very very thick and it looks very unattractive! Im 18 year old male, and when i was around 16 i used a cream for my acne called benzoyl peroxide. It worked fairly well so i applied it all over my face in thick layers for around a year until i realised how stupid i was. This made my skin red and completely dried my skin up, i didnt have a clue what i was doing all i wanted was to clear acne and i thought this would work.

Now im 18 and my acne is still here, but now i have extra thick facial skin, i feel like crying most times because i just dont no whats causing it. At first i thought its what im eating and diet but im a normal build for my age, i never put weight on so i cancelled that out. I go to the gym often and that didnt thin my facial skin out. Is it because i have oily skin? im just so stuck, i want smooth skin do any of you know whats causing my skin to be so thick, i can literally pull it out about 3cm maybe more. i just want thin smooth skin and then il sort my acne out... please can someone help thank you

Old 05-08-2007, 08:04 PM   #8
(female)

MyAlterEgo HB User

I have very oily skin, even post tane! The only thing that has helped, but not cured my oily skin is Diane 35 along with 100mgs/day of spironolactone.

Washing your face to much will not get rid of oil, it will cause your skin to produce more oil to counteract the dryness you cause from overwashing.

Moisturzing daily with an oil-free, non comedogenic (sp?) moisturizer may help also.

Good Luck!

Old 05-09-2007, 01:07 PM   #9
(male)

mikey123 HB User

thanks for the tip, is there anyway i can thin my skin out though? as i said its very thick and its sometimes hard to see the outline and definition of my face, the thing thats worst is that my cheekbones dont show through and its not nice, can i do anything to thin my skin?

Old 05-09-2007, 01:36 PM   #10
(male)

ste_manc_nw_uk HB User

Hi,

I am based in manchester UK, and have suffered very oily skin for years and years. Believe me I have tried almost everything available over the counter,and nothing seems to work. The only relief (but no cure) I find is Aloe Vera gel. Available from Holland and Barratt health shops, it kind of dries the skin a good few hours.

Its a way of life for me - having to blotch my face every 30 mins with a paper towel to get rid of the excess oil.

Sometimes i get really depressed about it - so good to know there are people in similar situations.

Cheers
Ste

Old 05-09-2007, 03:29 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

BluEyez1031 HB User

I really love Burt's Bees Garden Tomato soap and toner....really great for oily skin!

Old 05-10-2007, 02:30 AM   #12
(male)

mikey123 HB User

do you lot have very thick skin aswel though? or can you see your chekbones... i wouldnt mind having oily skin if it wasnt so thick. All i want is to have a face shape rather than just a big lump of skin on my face. is the because i have oily skin or is it for another reason that im not aware of?

Old 05-10-2007, 08:59 AM   #13
(female)

MyAlterEgo HB User

On a happier note, oily skin may help prevent your face from wrinkles as you grow older.

Best of luck everyone, hopefully one day we will wake up to find we've grown out of this stubborn acne. *sigh*

Old 05-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

BluEyez1031 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey123 View Post
do you lot have very thick skin aswel though? or can you see your chekbones... i wouldnt mind having oily skin if it wasnt so thick. All i want is to have a face shape rather than just a big lump of skin on my face. is the because i have oily skin or is it for another reason that im not aware of?

That's not thick skin, that's fat.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:27 AM   #15
(male)

mikey123 HB User

its not fat, thats what i first thought but i never put weight on? to be honest and im not being big headed or anything but my body is muscle cause i go to the gym regulary so my face would be toned like the rest. It must be because i have oily skin, i cant think of anything else. I eat healthily, drink plenty of water and exercise. Oily skin is thick isnt it? People with dry skin normally have nice toned clear skin, ive the opposite. What can i do?

Closed Thread