It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2003, 11:27 AM   #1

Flora_Mac HB User
Talking Tried nearly everything- now CLEAR after 1 month of Zinc

Hey people Im posting to say Im 99% clear after 4 weeks on Zinc Gluconate 75mg (Holland and Barret brand for anyone in the UK)- my oil is going down too. When I first started to get a few zits around age of 14 I read in a health food book at home that Zinc was good for acne, but never bothered to follow it up.

Funnily enough Ive tried a zillion things since then except Zinc! Im now 20 and although my acne was not as bad as it has been, following a boring diet is no fun, and controlling my acne til it is mild has constrained my life in many ways.

Im on 75mg a day which Ive heard is about right for the first 12 weeks and have been eating the sort of things that would have given me breakouts before (icecream, potato chips/crisps).

To start with Zinc seemed to just help inflammation- now it is helping my whole skin. Ive heard it plays a great role in normal functioning of oil glands and blocks DHT (nasty testosterone form). Since mild/moderate acne in myself and my sister appears to come from my father, whose family also has history of premature malepattern baldness (how unlucky can you get??), I always felt DHT was the culprit.

I hope this lasts. I am so happy- I can go swimming now and feel confident talking to guys i like Im still avoiding too much sugar though. Its like a dream come true!

PS. I dont work for a Zinc corporation, honest.

Old 07-06-2003, 12:20 PM   #2
(male)

acneman HB User
WOW!!! I'm so happy to hear that Zinc worked for you.

I've tried everything to rid myself of this stupid acne. Even 3 treatments of Accutane, but my acne came back after treatment (by the way Accutane has been proven to reduce the activity of DHT).

My dad's family also has a history of premature male pattern baldness. So DHT could be a major factor in my acne. Zinc has been proven to be a 5 alpha reductase inhibitor (enzyme that converts testosterone to DHT). Saw Palmetto is another inhibitor as well.

I had already set myself up to start Zinc supplementation tomorrow (60 mg of Zinc Gluconate per day) before I read your message. So this comes to me as a SIGN that this might be it!!!

I recommend that you take a Copper supplement as well (4 mg per day) because Zinc supplementation creats Copper deficiency.

If you follow a diet high protein/low fat/low carb you can significatenly decrease the activity of 5 alpha reductase. I did this and it works, but only got me about 70% clear. But I want to be able to eat my carbs and fats. So I said Zinc is the way to go. Wish me luck .

[This message has been edited by acneman (edited 07-06-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2003, 12:24 PM   #3
Veteran

linnybee428 HB User
Hm I take zinc and it doesn't work. Maybe I need to up my dosage. What is the dif between zinc and zinc gluconate?

Old 07-06-2003, 12:25 PM   #4
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Lightbulb

Good for you!

I also tried zinc years ago, and unfortunately it didn't do a thing for my acne.

For anyone else thinking of trying it, remember that anything more than 60-75 mg per day can be toxic to your system!

Old 07-06-2003, 12:29 PM   #5
(male)

acneman HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by linnybee428:
Hm I take zinc and it doesn't work. Maybe I need to up my dosage. What is the dif between zinc and zinc gluconate?
Zinc Gluconate is just the form the Zinc comes in. There's also Zinc Oxide or Zinc Picolinate. Some forms may be more efficient than others.

Old 07-06-2003, 10:27 PM   #6

Oinkie HB User
Wow! That's awesome your acne is cleared. What was your acne state before? Do you take any other vitamins?
I have heard that you should also take copper with high levels of zinc because elevated zinc levels can interfere with copper absorption. I have some zinc picolinate here at home, maybe I'll start taking it!

Old 07-07-2003, 08:50 AM   #7
Veteran

linnybee428 HB User
I just checked and my zinc only has 15 mg in it. Should I take 5 or so of them a day?

Old 07-07-2003, 09:25 AM   #8

buddyguy HB User
I thought anything over 30 mg a day was bad.

Old 07-07-2003, 10:14 PM   #9

kweli HB User
maybe you just grew out of it?

Old 07-08-2003, 09:38 AM   #10

wantsittoend HB User
after reading your post i think i'll try zinc. i've been on benzaclin, minocycline, tazorac, and proactiv. I haven't tried this route yet. What do you think about taking zinc and b5 at the same time? Good or bad or would it make any difference at all?

Old 07-09-2003, 10:37 AM   #11

wantsittoend HB User
just bought Twinlab Zinc Caps (natural-Chelated) and vitamin shoppe brand copper. the zinc is 30 mg and the copper is 2 mg.

Old 07-25-2003, 07:42 PM   #12
(male)

acneman HB User
Hey Flora_mac could you please tell us of your current status? Are you still clear? How clear? 100%? Do you eat anything you want without breaking out? Thanks and congratulations.

Old 07-26-2003, 11:32 AM   #13
(male)

acneman HB User
*bump*

Closed Thread