It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #1
(female)

abadee8 HB User
Question Proactive ?? longterm effects?

Hi, I recently got an advert for proactive saying i would only pay $6 for a month. I figured what the heck, and I am thinking that I should try it, but I have heard some bad things about it. I have heard that first of all, it has very harsh chemicals in it that may have a bad long term effect on your skin. I have also heard that once you stop using proactive, your acne gets very severe before it goes back to normal. these "rumors" are scaring me and I am wondering if anyone has any personal experience with proactive. I have only moderate acne, anyway, so I really don't NEED it, it just might help. Thanks.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

BluEyez1031 HB User
Re: Proactive ?? longterm effects?

My sister used to use it. It made her skin look great, but when she stopped using it, yes, her skin got MUCH worse than before she used it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2007, 11:03 AM   #3
(female)

kumpulsivepicka HB User

I used proactive and it worked wonders on my skin. I was actually clear for the first time! BUT then I stopped using it and I broke out again ugh. When I tried to use it again it had NO effect on me whatsoever. It's one of those products where you HAVE to be consistent and use it every day... sucks.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:51 AM   #4
(female)

fyreproof HB User

I couldn't tell you, I had an allergic reaction to it. Haha. I wouldn't use it if you have skin that's sensitive, it can be really harsh.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:32 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

saphire82 HB User

The only active ingredient in the cleanser and repairing lotion is benzoyl peroxide so whatever effects of that would be the same. All the other ingredients in it are same as any cleanser or moisturizer. I guess dryness could be a factor, and however else bp effects your skin.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:53 PM   #6
(female)

SatinNight HB User

I started using proactive in the 8th grade, and it worked amazingly for about two years. My acne was quite moderate as well. I have quite sensitive skin, but never had any problems with it. Itís true that you do have to follow the routine strictly, but I never thought it was a hard routine to follow in the first place. After the first two years using proactive however, it stopped working for me, and I had to visit a dermatologist and discontinue using proactive. It got really bad after I stopped using it though. I took a 5-month break from proactive, and have started using it again. After about 2 weeks, my skin had gotten much better, though it hasn't had the same results as when I first used it.

Iíve heard rumors that your skin can build up a resistance to proactive, but I canít say for sure if thatís true or not. Basically, it works differently for everyone, so it could be worth a shot trying.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:47 PM   #7
(female)

ozzgal HB User
Thumbs up Re: Proactive ?? longterm effects?

I tried proactiv last year sometime for about 6 weeks and like you I only got the occasional pimple during hormonal times. my skin has never been the same since I used it, I broke out in a itchy red rash allover my face, and it actually burned it, It was quiet embarrasing as I work in the public eye. My advice to you is not to use proactive if you only get a couple of pimples a month, dont make the same mistake I did, and honestly I never ever had any pimples as a teenager, i am 32 now and the last year has been a nightmare for me, I obviously have sensitve skin and I didnt even know, only realised after using proactiv. But everyones skin is different....GOOD LUCK

Closed Thread