It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2003, 09:01 AM   #1

RealWorlder HB User
Post Red rash and bumps on chest after shaving

Sup y'all, im preparing to go on vacation soon and Im gonna be on the beach 24/7 for 2 weeks...So i have now shaved my chest for 5 months partly because last time i did it i began getting acne on my chest and a red rash. Im afraid this will happen again with shaving. So for any men how shave their chest please let me know what it is that u guys do and let me know of any decent creams or whatever in order to avoid all those red bumps on the chest. I have also heard that waxin is better because it will not grow for another 4 weeks, the only problem is that I refuse going to going to an aesthetician, one because its embarrassing and two because its costly, so i was thinking of buying that do it ur self stuff they sell in the supermarket....PLEASE answer and dont just read

Old 07-28-2003, 11:03 AM   #2
(male)

FargoUT HB User
I personally don't shave my chest, but I don't see how much different it would be from shaving anywhere else.

1) Take a quick, very warm shower (5 min.) - this should steam up the skin pretty well. When showering, use an exfoliating scrub, a washcloth works but some sort of cloth specifically made for exfoliating the skin is best.

2) Use a razor bump reducing shaving lotion. Aveeno makes a great one, and I've heard good things about Neutrogena's (which is designed specifically for men).

3) Use the Mach3 Turbo. No other razor works as well as the Mach3, and the Turbo is the better version of the two.

4) Generally try to shave in the direction of the hair follicle (shaving against the grain will cause the bumps, but shaving against the grain is also the only way to get a truly smooth shave).

5) Follow shaving with a moisturizer. If you want, Aveeno also makes a shave-reducing moisturizer that is very nice. It will retard hair growth (you have to use this every day to notice the slower hair growth--plus it makes shaving easier the next time). Also, using an AHA lotion helps prevent the bumps. Maybe at night apply an AHA lotion, and in the morning, use the Aveeno stuff.

6) Tend Skin makes a razor bump lotion that is supposedly a miracle worker. Expensive as hell, but everyone says it works. It's basically a BHA with antiseptic qualities.

Alternatively, using an electric shaver will eliminate 99% of all razor bumps, if you go that route. It doesn't provide as smooth a shave, but if you aren't worried about people feeling a stubbly chest, then it will prevent most of the problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread