It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2007, 02:06 AM   #1
(female)

LisaMarie982001 HB User
How long can you be on spiro?

My derm dr. is crazy and is thinking about taking me off of spiro in 4 months which i do not want to do!!!! He says he's scared be/c i'm taking 150mgs. I told him that people take 200mgs but he's crazy. I even got tested and all my levels are fine. I'm scared and hoping my dr. will give it to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2007, 08:18 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User
Re: How long can you be on spiro?

It depends on what you are taking Cipro for. People who have been exposed to Anthrax are required to take it for 60 days (8 Weeks). If you were exposed to the plaque then you are required to take it for 1 week.If somehow you have Tularemia, which is rabbit fever them you take Cipto for 3 weeks (21 days)

EDIT: The most amount of time I've been on Cipro is either 7 days or 14 days. Usually the majority of people take it that long. For the 7 days it was 250 milligrams 1 a day for a kidney infection

For the 14 days it was 500 milligrams 1 time a day for swollen lymph nodes in my throat and back

Last edited by FromSqueaky; 05-23-2007 at 08:30 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2007, 10:01 AM   #3
(female)

caymanbabes HB User

FromSqueaky - please note that the question was about SPIRO, a drug taken to improve acne, not cipro.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:14 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

Ahh my bad I just thought it was mispelled. I tried looking Spiro up but found nothing on it. Sorry.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
(female)

caymanbabes HB User

Np! Its full name is spironolactone (brand name Aldactone). Some Drs won't prescribe it for acne (mine wouldn't, so I'm hoping to find one that will).

Old 05-23-2007, 08:34 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

caliente HB User

i know that people taking spiro for heart defects and blood pressure have been able to take it safely for more than 30 years. the most i've heard of for acne is someone who took it for more than 10 years.

i have a prescription that goes until my 1 year mark. my doctor said that i can continue longer if my test results come back normal again, and if i feel the need to keep taking it.

The Following User Says Thank You to caliente For This Useful Post:
faithhopejoy63 (02-05-2012)
Old 05-24-2007, 04:38 PM   #7
(female)

caymanbabes HB User

caliente - which tests do you mean? I'm having trouble finding a Doctor here in Cayman to prescribe Spiro, and I'm wondering what the usual procedure is, which tests they do, etc. I just started Yasmin again (a few days ago) - is this going to mess up any test results? Should I come off it until after my derm appt (June 12th)?

Thanks.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:58 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

caliente HB User

blood pressure, to make sure its not too low. and a simple blood test to check potassium levels, since spiro is a potassium-sparing diuretic. quick and easy, nothing major.

i dont think you need to stop taking yasmin, it wont do anything to your test results.

and yasmin contains 25mg spiro!

Last edited by caliente; 05-24-2007 at 09:01 PM.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:49 AM   #9
(female)

caymanbabes HB User

Uh-oh, I have always had low bp, I guess that means I couldn't take spiro? I'm so disappointed! It's just always been low - I have to be careful not to get up too quickly from sitting for example - I've always been told it was healthy to have low bp, just a nuisance. The only time my bp's been normal was during pregnancy.

I know Yasmin has the spiro, I hear that its good to take both spiro & yasmin together (I was hoping for 50mg of spiro). The reason I'm trying to get spiro is that when I'm on Yasmin, my acne is gone (pretty much), but on the week that I'm off the Yasmin it comes back with avengence, my skin breaks out like mad, and my emotions are all over the place, so I thought if I was on spiro as well for the whole month, I wouldn't get that mad 'withdrawal' week where everything goes crazy!

Old 05-25-2007, 08:20 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

caliente HB User

i dont think your bp should be a problem. you really wont know until you take spiro and see how you react. 50 mg spiro is a fairly low dose.

if you find a doctor who will prescribe it, you can always start out slow with 25 mg, and increase the dosage as needed.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:44 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

mommaoftwinsplus1 HB Usermommaoftwinsplus1 HB User

you should try to find one that will. My derm. just issued me another year prescription for spiro...100mg a day! I asked him if this is safe to take for many, many years and he said "yes". This medication has saved my face. I wish you luck!

Momma of twins plus1

Old 09-18-2007, 05:58 PM   #12
(female)

hopetobeclear HB User

Hello all,
I haven't post here in a really long time because spiro has been working very good for me. I'm curious however if it ever stops working? I'm on 200 mgs and have been for almost 1 year (in November). I have two small pimples now, and I'm wondering if people that have used it for long periods of time have ever come accross a resistance to it???? Am I being totally nuerotic?

Last edited by hopetobeclear; 09-18-2007 at 06:52 PM.

Closed Thread