It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2003, 08:12 AM   #1
(male)

Indy007 HB User
Question Information on Aloe Vera, please

I'm interested in using aloe vera gel. Right now I'm using a BP wash then applying a cream containing glycolic acid. It's somewhat working (I don't break out often) but I find my skin gets really really oily and I've read here aloe vera gel will reduce the oilyness. Has anyone brokeout from using aloe vera gel? Also, is it okay to use it with other products?

Old 06-02-2003, 09:49 AM   #2

mudpixie HB User
Aloe vera gel says it moisturizes but if you do some research on the way it actually works you'll find out that its indirectly a drying agent. Which explains why it might help with oil.

I used it for a long time and I never actually broke out from it but DO NOT USE TOO MUCH. I put layers and layers on once to see if it would fade my scars faster but it dried my skin out and made it peel. When you first put it on it makes your face feel like you put cold Elmer's glue on it.

Just use only a little and it should be fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2003, 10:11 AM   #3

Hopetimistic HB User
Hi Mudpixie,

Thanks for the info'.

Is the peeling caused by aloe vera gel actually beneficial in that it may cause new skin cells to
replace scarred skin tissue?

Regards.

I am no expert on these matters. Please consult the (supposed) experts, and seek the advice of other people as well.

Old 06-02-2003, 10:13 AM   #4
(male)

FargoUT HB User
The previous poster is right. Although I use Aloe Vera on a weekly basis, I'm trying to increase the usage to daily--right before I go to bed to help the skin heal. I've never broken out as a result of Aloe Vera--as long as it is only Aloe Vera. I use 99.5% organic Aloe Vera Gel that I got from GNC. I keep it in the refrigerator to keep it cold. It's great for sunburns or minor skin irritations. The Aloe Vera does not cause break-outs itself. If you buy that stuff made for sunburns at the store, however, you probably will break out because of all the unnecessary ingredients included.

Aloe Vera works extremely well to moisturize skin, except that overuse can dry it out. I'd only advise once a day at most, and don't use too much. It also repairs skin damage (not significantly, but it's better than most anything out on the market).

Also, I bought an herbal remedy book, and it places Aloe Vera second in terms of acne--after Apple Cider Vinegar (the third spot went to honey). I'm actually going to stop using my BP wash and just switch to Apple Cider Vinegar, since it kills bacteria without the unnecessary drying and bleaching effects of BP. Cleanse with a non-irritating cleanser and then use a cotton ball to apply the Apple Cider Vinegar. It turns the skin very bright red, so don't do this if you plan on having people look at you. I do it before bed.

Old 06-02-2003, 01:58 PM   #5
(male)

Indy007 HB User
FargoUT, you mentioned apple cider vinegar and I'm kind of interested. I know honey is very good but will using vinegar cause a breakout? I'm just recovering from one and I'm afraid to try something new.

Old 06-03-2003, 03:55 PM   #6
(male)

Indy007 HB User
I went to Shoppers today I saw a whole bunch of Aloe Vera gels/mousturizers but none said whether they were 100% or close to it.

I then went to a health food store and found a 99.6% Aloe Vera gel. I asked the lady at the store if I could apply it on my face and she said she wouldn't recommend it as it will make my face red and peeling.

I don't know what to do? I have very oily skin. Should I just buy the 99.6% gel or buy one of those at Shoppers.

Old 06-03-2003, 07:48 PM   #7
(female)

Mandilyn HB User
Where do you find apple cider vinegar?? I couldnt find it.

Old 06-04-2003, 12:27 PM   #8
Veteran

stasia12 HB User
Cool

people-just go to the local nusery and buy an aloe vera plant! they only cost about three dollars for fairly large ones and are very easy to take care of. You just break off parts of the leaves when you need to and rub the gel inside where you want to-and you can even refrigerate the rest of the leaf for use for the next few days. That way you are assured of geting organic, FRESH aloe vera. and it will grow-but its easy to buy a new one if you use up fast and about as cheap as buying the gel in a bottle.

Old 06-04-2003, 12:41 PM   #9
(male)

FargoUT HB User
That lady must be on crack or something. Overuse of anything on your face will cause redness and peeling. Pure aloe vera gel is the best, and yes, it is best directly from the plant. I just like the bottled stuff because it's convenient and I don't have a green thumb (I'm pretty sure I could kill a cactus if left in my care). I've been using pure aloe vera gel for a while and I've never experienced peeling or redness.

As for apple cider vinegar, this can be found at your local grocery or health foods store. I don't really recommend the Heinz brand, since I've heard their brand isn't real apple cider vinegar, but wood-based vinegar (don't ask me why). It's usually around all the other vinegars. My local Smith's has a health foods section, and I can buy organic apple cider vinegar (made from actual apples--not wood). I'm sure Wild Oats would have it. It's a dark brownish-red color. A lot of people think it smells awful (I actually enjoy the smell). This book I have says apple cider vinegar is a fountain of youth--you can use it for numerous problems including hemorrhoids, skin care, hair care, immune deficiencies, minor burns, colds, flus, bronchitis, sore throats, etc.

Old 06-04-2003, 12:42 PM   #10
(male)

Indy007 HB User
Mandilyn, I found a small bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar in a grocery store. Go to your local grocery store and ask around. You should be able to find it because it's used in cooking.

Old 06-07-2003, 11:14 PM   #11

kran HB User
Wink

aloe barbadensis jel is what you want to use. its the purest form of aloe.

Old 07-24-2003, 03:28 PM   #12

PN HB User
Unhappy

Well I've always had a couple pimples here and there with the occasional joy of having clear skin for a couple days, I use OXY cream which has 5% benzol peroxide... My dad who has really bad guts started drinkin this aloe vera gel.... helped him a lot and the bottle said you could apply it topically.. so at first I put some on 3 little pimples that were forming, and in the morning, 2 were completely gone, while 1 remained... the next day at time, I put a fair amount all over my face.. as a preventative, and my face tightened up, got pretty red, and tingled... I'm only 14 so I dont know if this is good or not.. but in the morning, my skin, although healthier than I've seen for a long time, still had that one pimple on my cheek... and it was worse, it'd turned into a white head... I've tried toothpaste before which apparently gets rid of pimples in 2 days.. dint work... rubbing alcohol.... dint work at all...I'm convinced I have combination skin but I have no Idea how to get rid of pimples fast in a few days besides using the oxy which takes about a week... HELP!

Old 07-24-2003, 04:19 PM   #13

T-zone HB User
Hmm interesting, I have never heard of "Apple cider vinegar"

"Vinegar has a tonic action that promotes blood circulation in the small capillaries that irrigate the skin. It is also antiseptic, preventing the proliferation of bacteria, viruses, or yeast that trigger infection. It can dissolve excessive fatty deposits at the surface of the skin and reduce scaly or peeling conditions. Lastly, vinegar regulates the pH of the skin. Vinegar is most effective when used with lavender, rosemary, rose, or elder flower. It is essential to use top-quality white wine or cider vinegar. Dry any fresh plant material for two days before using."

Sounds good doesn't it?

"THE USES OF CIDER VINEGAR
EFFECTS OF CIDER VINEGAR ON THE BLOOD:

AILMENTS (A-K):
ARTHRITIS
ASTHMA
BLOOD LOSS
COLITIS
COUGHS
DIARRHEA
DIZZINESS
EAR DISCHARGE
ECZEMA
EYES (TIRED AND SORE)
FATIGUE
FOOD POISONING
HAIR LOSS
HAYFEVER
HEADACHES
HEARING
HEARTBURN
HEMORRHAGES
HICCOUGHS (HICCUPS)
HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE
INSOMNIA
KIDNEYS AND BLADDER"

So basically it cures everything. *cough*

Well I guess it can't do any harm

Old 07-24-2003, 08:40 PM   #14
Inactive

lindanm HB User
I have rosacea and aloe vera gel greatly reduces the redness with one application.

Also, A long time ago a read a beauty book that said to splash apple cider vinegar to restore ph balance after washing with soap because they said soap, though alkaline, was the best way to get your skin clean. It was called 'The natural way to super beauty' or something like that. I was just a used paperback I found. I think it was written in the 70s. The writer wanted you to put water in the sink and add the vinegar then spash your face with it. That would mean you'd need to keep your sink really clean.

Old 07-24-2003, 09:08 PM   #15
Inactive

lindanm HB User
I have rosacea and aloe vera gel greatly reduces the redness with one application.

Also, A long time ago a read a beauty book that said to splash apple cider vinegar to restore ph balance after washing with soap because they said soap, though alkaline, was the best way to get your skin clean. It was called 'The natural way to super beauty' or something like that. I was just a used paperback I found. I think it was written in the 70s. The writer wanted you to put water in the sink and add the vinegar then spash your face with it. That would mean you'd need to keep your sink really clean.

Back in the 70s or early 80s, PH balance was all the rage. Now you hardly hear it mentioned.

Closed Thread