It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2003, 11:13 PM   #1

Oinkie HB User
Lightbulb Switching from benzoyl to tea tree oil

Hello fellow acne sufferers! Well, I have been talking a bit on this board about "The acne cure" book by Dr. Dubrow, and I am going to change my plan today. I woke up today with VERY dry, flaky skin. I have been doing pretty well, the jojoba oil has been helping tremendously, but I think the benzoyl peroxide has outdone what jojoba can do. I was very sad to find myself so dry, which then meansI have to take a couple days off from the program, which in turn produces more acne again and is self-defeating. I have read a lot about the supposedly link between tea tree oil and acne, and I did a little bit of research today on the internet and found that in most sources, 5% TTO (tea tree oil) was found to be as effective as 5% BP (benzoyl peroxide) but with far fewer side effects like dryness, redness, etc. The one drawback is that TTO seems to have a longer onset, it takes longer to begin working. But heck, I am willing to try it if I can avoid this icky dryness.
I read that more than a 5% concentration, even up to 20% would be more beneficial for acne, and that a gel-based formation would be better than what tea tree oil is in pure form- an OIL. I used TTO years back and it seemed to work alright, but I wasn't actively watching it's progress. It does have a VERY strong smell, but that would also be great for clearing up sinuses if you have a cold- which is actually a recommended use, as well as for cuts, ringworm, dandruff, even warts (controversial).

Anyways, I am going try to find a TTO gel, but if not I know plenty of places that have it in it's normal oil form.

I am hoping this will work. I am going to put TTO in place of BP in my acnecure regimen. I will update my progress on here for anyone who is interested. Also, I have read more and more great research on glycolic acid and will definitely keep that in my program, along with the cold! One site even said that glycolic acid will eventually become a basic treatment for acne, recommended just like other classic remedies.

Has anyone else had great success with TTO?

good luck!

[This message has been edited by Oinkie (edited 07-07-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2003, 12:51 PM   #2

invinciblemoon HB User
tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic. it's famous for its healing and antibacterial properties, and yes, it works for acne. takes a little longer than benzoyl peroxide, minus the skin irritation. always choose those diluted to certain percentage, do not use 100% tea tree oil on ur spot because it can cause dryness and irritation worst than BP cream. i've experienced that. personally, i like the tea tree oil from body shop. for BP cream, i am using neutrogena on the spot acne treatment. it contains 2.5% BP, so it won't irritate ur skin so much, and it actually works better than those 5% or 10% BP cream.

Old 07-09-2003, 02:17 PM   #3

JimC981 HB User
hey guys ... I use a Benzoyl Peroxide Gel made by DDF (Doctors Dermatologic Formula) that contains both 5 % Benzoyl Peroxide and Tea Tree Oil in a water based gel formula ... you can actually smell the tea tree oil when you put it on ... very gentle, non irritating gel ... kinda expensive at $19.00 for a 2 oz. tube but it works well

Old 07-10-2003, 10:51 AM   #4

swissmiss HB User
"Thursday's Plantation" makes a 20% TTO acne gel...I purchased it online and have been using it to spot treat while on accutane.

Old 07-17-2003, 01:30 PM   #5

Oinkie HB User
Well, it's been about a week and I have regressed back into pre-cyst acne. Right when I went off of the Benzoyl Peroxide treatment and "rested" for a couple of days, I awoke to a nose that was disgustingyly rashy, bumpy, and there were at least 15 whiteheads just on my nose/cheek area! icky icky! I was sad, thinking that I was never going to find a remedy and have to go to the dermatologist which I DO NOT want to do.. well, I then started the tea tree oil treatment, I replaced it for benzoyl peroxide in "the acne cure" book treatment I have posted on here before about. Now I am starting to see slow healing like I did around this time during my last treatment, so I am excited! Hopefully it will work! I haven't been able to find any diluted TTO products at a 10-20%, so I just put a 2-3 drops of jojoba oil on my fingers, and then 2-3 drops of TTO, so it is approximatey a 50% concentration. I do notice a slight burning sensation when I apply the TTO/JO mixture, unlike when I would apply the Benzoyl Peroxide, but I notice incredible tinging during the ice treatment with the TTO/JO that I never felt to this degree with the BP! So I take that as a sign that it's working! I still am having whiteheads, but no red cysts! I will update again in a week if anyone cares to know how it's going- happy acne fighting to you all!

Old 07-17-2003, 01:50 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User
Hey Oinkie...
i'm doing ok. Fingers crossed, haven't had a cyst in a couple weeks (yes! yes! yes!)

And just recently i realized that if i could stop paying attention to a couple red, largish zits on my chin, i would realize that 1. a month ago, those would've been cysts no doubt, and of course they'd be much better if i wasn't PICKING at them all the time, and 2. the rest of my skin has a whole lot better, and 3, it's that time of the month anyway, so all things considered, i'm doing pretty well.

I think when i finish 6 weeks (and i'm sure i'm close; i need to look at my calendar), i'll add another few. For one, my acne is persistent, and i don't mind needing a few extra weeks when i've had zits since my teens (i'm 27), and b/c i've missed the cold treatment a buncha times (too tired, not at home, etc).

But i still have faith in it.

Sorry to hear BP isn't working out for you. Are you clearer than when you started i hope?

Old 07-18-2003, 09:27 PM   #7

Oinkie HB User
Great to hear of your success Sedulous, and thank you everyone for your comments/advice. Sedulous, that is wonderful you aren't having new cysts! That is the one noticeable difference I have noticed, I don't get those big sore lumps any more. My skin was actually on it's way to being more than 50% clear (yay) but when I switched programs it just completely freaked out. I am starting to notice more and more of the "under the skin" acne.. it's very strange, it is not rosacea, but little red acne, like little moles, just sitting even with my skin. I suppose that is better than bumpy acne... I am going to wait till the end of the month to give this tea tree oil routine my official "analysis".. I am braking out in whiteheads more than when on the BP segment, but I am suspecting too much jojoba oil may be to blame?
Anyways, I'm happy to hear your success! Good luck everyone!

Old 08-01-2003, 12:56 PM   #8

knut HB User
Oinkie, just wondering how you're doing with this routine, if you're still on it.

Sedulous, hope all is well with you also.

Closed Thread