It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 03:21 AM   #1
(female)

Awakening HB User
Talking Easy recipes for acne, share yours here!

I thought it would be cool to share recipes of our own to help eachother find appropriate things to eat. There's so much talk about diet lately and I for one know that it plays a very big part in most acne. I've found that wheat and dairy are two of the main acne aggrivating (or causing) ingredients besides sugar. These are my own recipes, I research daily for new ideas because having a plan to fight this thing is better than none at all. However I've only been doing this for a few days but I have been researching for many months. So to anyone who's interested or needs a little extra help feel welcome to try these. They are affordable and easy.

I have not yet found a good bread recipe yet but the best wheat/gluten free flours I've come up with are Buckwheat, Tapioca, Quinoa, Millet, Chick pea and Amaranth flours. If this post stays alive I'll add the recipe as soon as I figure it out.

Alternative to dairy ~ MY HOMEMADE ALMOND MILK:
You'll need:
1 handfull of raw plain almonds (soaked overnight)
4 cups of clean cold water
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract (in any grocery store)
1 date -pitted. (optional, for an awesome added flavor)
Strainer (those little hand held ones or basically any strainer you have.)
Blender (high performance prefered, but any blender will do but may take longer)

How to do it:
Empty the handfull of soaked almonds into the blender. Add the 4 cups of water. Add the vanilla & the date. Blend on low for 30 seconds and then on high for 30 seconds OR if you're using an old blender then double the time. When it's done grab a jug you want to keep the milk in. Place the jug in the sink and hold the strainer over it. Slowly pour the milk through the strainer into the jug. Throw out the pulp (or keep for recipes.) This milk can last about 2-3 days in the fridge..reblend it when you use it.

The result is a delicious, tasty pure white milk that's HEALTHY. Give it a try!
=========================

MY EASY, HEALTHY SALAD DRESSING:

You'll need: (Sample)
1 tablespoon of vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
pinch of sea salt and pepper
parsley -optional

How to make it:
Disolve the salt and vinegar, then add in the olive oil, pepper and parsley. Whisk or stir until completely mixed. You can double this recipe for larger salads.

Pour over chopped lettuce, diced tomatoes, bean sprouts, chopped carrots, diced cucumber and some cilantro (optional).

This is sooo good!
===========================

MY BREAKFAST SPINACH & EGG BAKE:

You'll need:
6 fresh large eggs (organic free-range)
Bunch of spinach (baby spinach works too)
Half of an onion diced
Half clove of garlic (finely ground or thinnly chopped) -optional
1/2 - 1 cup of almond milk (this time, make it without any dates for this batch)
Sea salt and pepper

How to make it:
Whisk the 6 eggs, almond milk, salt and pepper in a bowl/container. When fully whisked add the diced onion & ground garlic. Mix again. Grab a glass dish and oil it with olive oil, then layer the bottom with the spinach. Pour the egg mixture over top. Cover with foil and stick it in the oven at 350 for approximately 35-40 minutes, check on it. When plump and ready take it out and serve. Add more salt & pepper if you want or serve with a slice of tomatoe. I would say this serves about 3 people, just double the recipe for more.

MY ULTIMATE WHEAT-FREE OATMEAL BREAKFAST:
You'll need:
1 apple diced
1/2 cup soaked sunflower seeds
1/2 cup sprouted buckwheat groats (soaked overnight). You can buy this in any health food store. Make sure they are 100% buckwheat.
1/2 cup of organic raisins
2 handfuls of red grapes
Almond Milk

How to make it:
This makes two bowls. Split all ingredients evenly into two bowls. Add your almond milk over top. TIP: When you soak the buckwheat groats, the bitterness disappears. If you don't want to wait overnight, you can heat them on a pan for several minutes. They should taste nutty afterwords. You can also add other nuts and seeds to the mix for a more granola taste.

MY BANANA APPLE SHAKE:

You'll need:
2 whole ripe bananas broke in half
1 large apple, chopped
pinch of cinnamon (optional)
Almond milk

How to make it:
Put the bananas and apples in the blender along with a dash of cinnamon. Pour almond milk about half way the height of the fruit. Blend on low for 10 seconds, then on high for 30 seconds or until thick and smooth. If you don't have a high tech blender you may have to help it by spooning the fruit around making sure it's all blended through. The sweetness of the almond milk makes this taste so good. I make it all the time.
========================

MY NO-BAKE STRAWBERRY PIE:

You'll need: [CRUST]
1/2 cup raw plain almonds
1/2 cup walnuts
3/4 cup dates -pitted.

FILLING:
5 cups of fresh strawberries (I like to combine mine with blueberries - you can use any fruit of choice though.)
1 tablespoon pure honey or pure grade A maple syrup.

How to make it:
CRUST: Grind nuts finely in a food processor or blender and set aside. Place the dates in a food processor or blender and grind to form a paste.With the motor still running, add the ground nuts & blend until the mixture forms a ball (if needed, add a few more dates). Press this mixture evenly on the bottom of a lightly oiled 8-inch pie pan. Olive oil preferred.

Refrigerate until ready to fill. (About 1/2 an hour.)

FILLING: Blend the fruit with the maple syrup or honey until smooth. Spoon into the pie crust. Top with extra chopped fruit.

Cover with waxed paper and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. I would say this makes about 7-8 slices.

MY WHEAT-FREE PANCAKES (or flatbread):

You'll need:
1/2 cup of finely ground nuts (almonds, cashews, pecans, brazil nuts, walnuts..etc)
1/2 cup of arrowroot
1 cup of amaranth flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 whole ripe bananas very thinnly diced -optional
1 1/4 cups water
1-2 tablespoons of pure honey
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
2 tablespoons of safflower or sunflower oil.

How to make it:
Grind nuts in blender until finely ground about 15 seconds. Combine with other dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Without washing it, combine liquids in blender; blend 10 seconds (or mix in small bowl) and stir into dry mixture. Cook pancakes on preheated, ungreased, non-stick griddle or frypan.** Add 3-4 diced bananas to each cake, when brown..flip it. As batter thickens you may need to add another tablespoon or two of water to keep cakes thin (should be no more than 1/4 inch thick).I would say this makes approximately 24 four inch cakes.

Optional: you can eat this plain or top it with fruit spread...process fruit in blender and spread on as desired. These are really good!
=============================

MY CINNAMON-NUT MUFFINS:

You'll Need:
1/4 cup olive oil (can use coconut oil)
1/4 cup pure honey
3/4 cup hot water
1/4 cup finely ground nuts (I like almonds, cashews or pecans)
1/4 cup arrowroot
1 3/4 cups amaranth flour
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 cup of chopped nuts of choice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon vitamin C crystals (or replace with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice BUT you must reduce the water by that amount if you choose this alternative)

How to make it:
Combine water, oil and honey in a mixing bowl. Set it aside for the honey to melt. Sift flour and arrowroot separately before measuring. Combine dry ingredients, including both nuts (ground and chopped). Mix well. Add the vanilla to the liquids. Add dry mixture all at once and stir only until it disappears and do not overmix. Fill muffin papers (or oiled muffin cups) full. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 22-25 minutes. Center of muffin should feel firm. Makes 9 or 10 muffins depending on the size of your muffin cups.
==========================

Some tips I'd like to add is make sure all the nuts and seeds you buy are plain, unsalted and unroasted. There are lots of cool ideas you can make with these recipes to change the flavor to whatever you like, just be creative. Once you try a recipe you'll quickly ween yourself off of the usual dairy and wheat products. There are endless ways to think up a recipe to keep you eating healthy everyday. I believe a diet like this will change our skin for the better by nourishing our insides (espeically the liver) and getting the proper nutrition we need.

Please add any of your own recipes if you have any to share.

Last edited by Awakening; 06-18-2007 at 03:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2007, 06:07 AM   #2
(male)

llouis HB User
Re: Easy recipes for acne, share yours here!

hi awakening,

just one question, are you saying that oatmeal is promote acne? i'm starting on an oatmeal diet (replacing rice bcoz of refined cabohidrat that some say promote acne?)so just wanna know more. thanks

Old 06-18-2007, 09:26 PM   #3
(female)

Awakening HB User

Well it's been known on other forums I've been to with people having a problem with oatmeal since it's a grain. I can't eat it myself even though I love the stuff. You should try your diet for a while and if you notice more acne then you'll know it's the oatmeal.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:03 AM   #4
(male)

acneruinslives HB User

ALMONDS, WALNUTS; BASICALLY ALL NUTS, ARE A MAJOR FACTOR to cause ACNE...BUT u are right, wheat, dairy, and sugar are also major factors.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:56 AM   #5
(female)

Awakening HB User

How do you know that about all nuts? Everything I've read, every article..etc has stated that nuts are extremely essential for acne, especially almonds because of all the amino acids and such. Where did you hear that?

Old 06-19-2007, 07:01 AM   #6
(male)

llouis HB User

Hi thanks for replying. today i just went to my derm and i mentioned about oatmeal stuff but he said that's completely untrue. I dunno..man...where did you come across these info?

Old 06-19-2007, 07:20 PM   #7
(female)

Awakening HB User

Well of course your derm is going to say that, they know nothing about diet and their target is getting you to take presciption drugs.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:54 PM   #8
(female)

FallingSnow HB User

Cool idea! The dressing I tried was so good! I have a recipe to share too.

First off..Oatmeal is in the wheat family, therefore, it should be eliminated too if you're cutting out all wheat. I agree with the wheat ingredients particularly because I KNOW it causes my outbreaks to get worse. Dairy is a tie with wheat, those two are the primary.

I love smoothies so this is one of my all-time favourite recipes. It's really good for the skin and gives you tons of energy.

*You need 3 pears
*small bunch of parsley
*one red apple (large)
*small bunch baby spinach
*half pineapple
*1 teaspoon bee pollen
*1/2 cup water

Place everything in the blender [chopped] add the water. You can control the smoothness of the smoothie by adding more water. Blend until creamy. Test taste it, if you want more of a sweetness to it then go ahead and add more apple and pineapple. The bee pollen gives you energy, pears are easy on the digestive system, the greens are good for skin, and apple/pineapple are full of fiber,enzymes while cleansing the system.

I'll have more soon! Again very helpful post.

Closed Thread