It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2003, 03:26 PM   #1
(male)

acneman HB User
Post Fruits good for acne?...maybe not

I'm so ****** right now. I'm breaking out badly and I think I know why. I started to drink OJ because I needed the vitamins and have broken out around my jawline, cheeks, back of neck along hairline, chest, and back. The bumps are red, hard, and painful. Also, I've been eating apples. I've done some research and found that the acidity in fruits are actually make some people break out. Oranges are high in citric acid, apples are high in malic acid. Some other sources of citric acid are strawberries, tangerines, lemons. Other sources of malic acid are plums and bananas. Does anyone else break out from consuming these fruits?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2003, 05:32 PM   #2

iwannacookie HB User
yep i've heard of people breaking out after consuming a lot of grapefruit, lemons, or oranges. and a co-worker of mine seems more prone to breakouts when she has grapefruit juice. why she keeps drinking the stuff is beyond me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2003, 05:39 PM   #3
(male)

acneman HB User
I wonder what the connection between fruit acidity and hormone behavior is. I've never heard of any connection between the two.

Old 07-30-2003, 08:24 PM   #4

rocco20v HB User
Strange, because I dumped all my creams and am now ONLY using a citric Acid topical lotion that my SmoothBeam doctor gave me. It works wonderfully and doesnt make my face oily like most every other cream does.

Old 07-30-2003, 08:44 PM   #5

Scooterman HB User
Damn, now we can't eat fruit?

Guess that leaves us with.....water to drink and lettuce to eat!

Old 07-31-2003, 01:08 AM   #6
Inactive

crazyabout blue HB User

no, b/c of its high sugar contents.. limit ur fruit intake to once a day (small serving) or eat it once every two days.

Drink lots of water and good carbs.

and exercise! =)

u can do it!

Old 07-31-2003, 06:06 AM   #7
(male)

acneman HB User
What is wrong with the sugar in the fruits?

Old 07-31-2003, 06:08 AM   #8
(male)

acneman HB User
I dont think its the sugar because tomato sauce also makes me break out. I checked and the tomato sauce I used had very little sugar.

Old 07-31-2003, 06:56 AM   #9

T-zone HB User
you should have at least 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day, if you find one makes you break out, try another.

Tomato sauce is VERY high in sugar, but not all forms of sugar are equal. Glucose is the most readily absorbed sugar, and therefore the worst, the sugar in fruit is mainly fructose, this is sugar is digested much slower.

To avoid sugar spikes in your eating you could try eating your fruit after a meal. Eating something very low in sugars and something high in sugars at the same time is the same as eating something moderate in sugars.

I don't know what type of tomato sauce you are using but I haven't seen one that isn't mainly sugar.

Old 07-31-2003, 11:06 AM   #10

rocco20v HB User
The difference is that tomatoe sauce has refined/syntetic sugars while fruits have natural sugars. Natural sugars are MUCH better for you. I've cut out all refined sugars from my diet...soda, candy, syrups, cookie, etc..(as much as I can at least)

Old 07-31-2003, 11:07 AM   #11
(male)

acneman HB User
I just checked and the tomato sauce I used has 4.5 g of sugar per serving. I only ate spaghetti once a day and used only one serving (1/4 cup) so I dont think it was the sugar, more like the acidity.

Old 07-31-2003, 11:46 AM   #12
Inactive

lindanm HB User
Oranges and OJ gave me severe Cystic acne. I figured that out about 10 years ago and have avoided oranges ever since. But as I recall, after figuring it out, I tried just having small amounts of OJ or just a section or 2 of oranges, but any amount caused me to break out with cysts by the next day. I also noticed that I got a few cysts after finishing off a whole jug of apple juice.

I always figured it was the acid. I still get the odd cyst which might be caused by the other acidic things I eat like tomatoes, strawberries or the lemon in my iced tea.

But I used to have cysts on my neck, temples (which scarred badly), jawline, hairline, chin all the time. That all stopped when I stopped eating oranges. Now I usually have at least one on my back and once or twice a year get one on my jawline or back of neck.

Old 07-31-2003, 11:52 AM   #13
(male)

acneman HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by lindamm:
Oranges and OJ gave me severe Cystic acne. I figured that out about 10 years ago and have avoided oranges ever since. But as I recall, after figuring it out, I tried just having small amounts of OJ or just a section or 2 of oranges, but any amount caused me to break out with cysts by the next day. I also noticed that I got a few cysts after finishing off a whole jug of apple juice.

I always figured it was the acid. I still get the odd cyst which might be caused by the other acidic things I eat like tomatoes, strawberries or the lemon in my iced tea.

But I used to have cysts on my neck, temples (which scarred badly), jawline, hairline, chin all the time. That all stopped when I stopped eating oranges. Now I usually have at least one on my back and once or twice a year get one on my jawline or back of neck.
Fascinating stuff. I see myself breakout after drinking OJ and eating a lot of apples. Now I'm going to stop eating fruits altogether except for strawberries and blueberries in my morning oatmeal. But definetly I think its the acid in those fruits rather than the sugar that makes a lot of people break out.

Old 07-31-2003, 01:33 PM   #14

Brownsugar HB User
This is really depressing to read. The only fruit I eat are apples (literally one a day-keeps me regular) oranges grapefruits (helps with weight loss)strawberries and grapes. I did notice that I started breaking out after not eating grapefruits for two months. I really hope that its not the reason but I've stopped and will monitor the difference.

[This message has been edited by Brownsugar (edited 07-31-2003).]

Old 07-31-2003, 03:49 PM   #15
(male)

acneman HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Brownsugar:
This is really depressing to read. The only fruit I eat are apples (literally one a day-keeps me regular) oranges grapefruits (helps with weight loss)strawberries and grapes. I did notice that I started breaking out after not eating grapefruits for two months. I really hope that its not the reason but I've stopped and will monitor the difference.

[This message has been edited by Brownsugar (edited 07-31-2003).]
You started breaking out after eating grapefruits or after NOT eating grapefruits? We are arguing that eating eating citric foods and other fruits break out some people.

[This message has been edited by acneman (edited 07-31-2003).]

Closed Thread