It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2003, 06:37 PM   #1

fightinghypo HB User
Post Msg for Tim Dream, FargoUT,JimC981

What do you guys use for shaving?

Razor-
Shave Cream-
Aftershave-

Should the BHA and AHA be used after or is the face too sensitive at that point?

Old 08-02-2003, 06:53 PM   #2
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Wink

Heh heh. Sorry - I'm a female. Tim is my boyfriend's name, hence the username.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2003, 07:08 PM   #3

JimC981 HB User
well, I use Gillete Mach 3 Razor on my face (although I've been told a single blade is better) This seems to get all my hair in one stroke instead of several strokes with a single blade razor ... For years I shaved up (against the grain) b/c it made my face smoother for longer .. but I always broke out terribly after I shaved ... now I shave down (with the hair) and my post shaving breakouts have ceased all together ... you don't get as close of a shave this way and you have to shave more often (every other day 4 me) .. but it is so much nicer for your face

I use a shave gel to shave with .. and by FAR the best one for the job is Aveeno Theraputic Shave Gel ... it has oatmeal to sooth your face and is fragrance free and color free and doesn't sting at all ... kinda pricey at $5.00 a can but if you have sensitive skin this is the way to go !

Any kind of aftershave in my opinion is no good b/c they have way too much alcohol, menthol, ect.

As far as AHA and BHA go ... Paula Begoun says it's a no no after shaving ... but using PC 1% BHA lotion for me has caused no problems.. it has anti - irritants in it and feels really nice on my face ... I would say any strong AHA or BHA should be avoided after shaving ... do you use BP ? A nice, gentle strength BP (2.5 % or 5 %) works good for me too b/c shaving leaves your face prone to bacteria and BP will kill it.

Also, I now wash my face after shaving ... seems to help more with breakouts ... and I use a gentle scrub (my personal fav. is DDF Acne Scrub with 2.5 % BP) TWICE a week to help get off the flaky dead skin which causes ingrown hairs and razor bumps for me ... and those tend to develop into zits ...

Hope all this helps

Old 08-03-2003, 08:45 PM   #4

fightinghypo HB User
Do you cleanse right after you shave or do you give your face time to heal?

Is DDF the actual name of the product?
Thanks

[This message has been edited by fightinghypo (edited 08-03-2003).]

Old 08-04-2003, 05:29 AM   #5

JimC981 HB User
no, I cleanse right after I shave ... I use alpha hydrox foaming face wash because it is so gentle on my face .. it's soap free, fragrance free, alcohol free, oil free, and pH balanced so it isn't harsh at all on my just shaved face ...

DDF (or Doctors Dermatologic Formula) is the brand name of the product ... it's called DDF Pumice Acne Scrub and it works well for razor bumps and ingrown hairs ... only use it like 2 times a week though ... and definetly not after shaving ... use before it to get the dead skin off that does cause those nasty razor bumps and stuff

Old 08-04-2003, 10:25 AM   #6
(male)

FargoUT HB User
I use an electric razor for my face, and the Mach3 Turbo for... other areas. The electric razor is a Norelco Advantage. It's one of those lift-and-cut razors with the "goo" that you see on TV ads. Works extremely well and I can go a couple days after shaving with it. It doesn't cause breakouts, from what I've seen.

As for the Mach3 Turbo, I use Aveeno's shaving gel (I have a hair reducing shaving gel and a razor bump reducing gel--generally I use the razor bump reducing one). No aftershave for me. I generally just use a moisturizer (Aveeno has a hair reducing moisturizer that I use--not for the face though).

Old 08-04-2003, 01:36 PM   #7

fightinghypo HB User
Fargo,
Thanks for the reply.

What benefit is the hair reducing formula supposed to provide?

Old 08-05-2003, 08:41 AM   #8
(male)

FargoUT HB User
It just minimizes hair growth and makes it less noticeable. It softens the hair as well, which makes it easier to shave in subsequent shaves. It's been proven to work, but you have to use it on a daily basis to see the effects. The biggest problem, I think, is that it doesn't seem to be non-comedogenic. I haven't broken out using it, but I'm sure some people will.

Old 08-05-2003, 12:34 PM   #9

Memnoch636 HB User
I use a regular blade razor. Aveno Therapeutic Shave Gel (awesome stuff)
And then I put on Nivea after shave balm. That really helped make my skin look and feel good. However it does make your skin look oily. I shave at night and wear the Nivea as a mask i guess. It reduces my red inflamation marks too.

Old 08-05-2003, 03:27 PM   #10

fightinghypo HB User
Has anyone used one of Paula's moisturizer?
Now that i have been using the 2%BHA, my face is drying out a bit.

Thanks for all the replies.

Closed Thread