It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2003, 09:42 AM   #1
(male)

Vinny2256 HB User
Exclamation SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER THIS!

Could anyone please tell me what Glycolic acid is and what exactly does it do?

Old 08-09-2003, 10:16 AM   #2

lookingforcure HB User
it is a type of acid that helps to even out the skin tone and speed up the skin renewal process

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2003, 10:51 AM   #3

Brownsugar HB User
Glycolic acid is a type of alpha-hydroxy acid, probably the best. It is found in sugar cane. It penetrates the skin better than most other AHA's.

An AHA peel generally over time:

helps to improve skin tone and texture
helps to reduce pore size
improves blotchiness and pigmentation irregularities
helps to improve the appearance of shallow acne scars
stimulates new cell growth and new collagen growth

Old 08-09-2003, 11:13 AM   #4
(male)

Vinny2256 HB User
Is it worth a try after my skin was totally *murdered* after a course of BP?

Old 08-09-2003, 12:33 PM   #5

kehcorpz HB User
I tried glycoic acid in the Pro active stuff back when I had acne. Lets just say that stuff burned my face so badly i literally wanted to punch the mirror to relieve some pain with anger hehe

Old 08-09-2003, 03:52 PM   #6

Don't b Down HB User
i've been using glycolic acid pads (5%) for about the past 3 weeks. I have to admit, yes it does sting and it does make me red for about 10-15 minutes after use. But after using it a couple times the stinging isn't as bad, certainly bearable (spelling?). So its not that bad for me (of course everyone is different). I'm currently considering glycolic acid peels and those sound like they really hurt! But hey, if it gives good improvement i'll be a man about it (or at least try to be )

Old 08-10-2003, 12:30 PM   #7
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Lightbulb

Vinnie, what do you mean your face was "murdered" by BP? If it is still red and raw, I'd let it heal before you use a glycolic acid, or AHA. AHAs will remove the top layer of skin (the speed depends on the concentration of the AHA, of course), and will make it more sensitive to the sun. If you try to use it while your skin is already sensitive or unhealed, this could lead to trouble! Maybe try using a good moisturizer or pure aloe vera to help it heal first.

As I've written in other posts, my favorite glycolic acid or AHA product is Alpha Hydrox oil-free 10% Enhanced Creme or 10% Oil-Free Gel. Both of these are suitable for acne-prone skin and can be purchased very affordably in drugstores. (Look for the red boxes in the skincare aisle).

AHAs can also help to prevent future acne, because you are getting rid of the excess dead skin cells that would have otherwise clogged your pores. They also eliminate red marks really well!

Closed Thread