It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2003, 08:38 PM   #1
(male)

NoLeafClover HB User
Exclamation Diet Plan

I know a lot of posters on here have changed their diet entirely. I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to share theirs with me. I would like to start one but need some help with the whats and what nots for it. I'd appreciate anyone's help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2003, 05:49 AM   #2

T-zone HB User
Good to hear, You will definately see results if you stick to it.

Have a search on the interenet for "the paleo diet" and maybe even atkins. Paleo is better imo.

I found an EXCELLENT site, not acne related but only because the author does not relise it, ALOT of the advice on this site is beneficial to acne even though it does not say. To find the site search google for "healing daily" and it should be the first one that you see.

What I don't eat or severly limit:

cereals
potatoes (though they are better are not too bad they should be limited)
sugary things
milk (unfortunately its full of hormones due to modern farming )

What I eat a lot of ;

meats;

fish
chicken
turkey
beef
in that order

ALL leafy vegetables, peppers, cellery, tomato, sprouts, ETC

Ok, on a typical day I might eat something like this :

breakfast, - 1 chopped tomato egg omlette, 3-6 egg whites with one yolk. All cooked in plenty of extra virgine olive oil. (good fat)

lunch - 300+ grams of cod/hadock, half a can of breans (boad, baked, blackeye, whatever. A plate of a mixture of vegetables like cabbage, carrots and colliflower. Not potatoe (though it isn't evil) typical portions of vegetables are too small, you want to go for enough to fill you up, you are looking at a quater to half a cabbage for example.

dinner - Bolognaise sauce consisting of mainly beef, tomatoes and beans, I will have a little pasta of the wholemeal variety.

Some people are sensitive to eggs and turkey because of iodine content, but I seem fine with them. Iodine is also important for healthy hair.

Some people are also sensitive to the acid in tomatos and citrus fruits, ASSUME you are, don't eat them for a week and then add them into your diet, if you notive no difference, the green flag is up.

Good luck, get reading into this!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2003, 09:03 AM   #3
(male)

NoLeafClover HB User
Thumbs up

I appreciate the info T-Zone. I look forward to getting started on this. Over a year ago I made a huge decision for me to stop drinking soda and to stop eating/drinking all forms of dairy. I haven't strayed from this at ALL. I'd have to say it's made a huge difference in my skin. Therefore, I see no harm in trying another diet change that could produce even better results for both my skin and overall health. If you think of any other suggestions/ideas, please let me know. Thanks again.

------------------
"I'd rather bleed out a long stream from being lonely and feel blessed, than drown, laying face down in a puddle of respect"

Old 08-10-2003, 01:44 PM   #4

T-zone HB User
Most of my knowlege comes from reading websites so thats my advice to you. I will probably be buying 'The paleo diet' by Dr. Loren Cordain in the near future for more recepie ideas, though I don't think its neccassary to start.

You may have difficulty with energy levels at first, I have had some when working from 2pm -10pm in my summer job, you are supposed to make up for the carbs with extra fats, but at the moment I have only substituted them for more protein. Nuts and particulary oily fish are really the answer.

By the way there is another more detailed thread here - > [url="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/017966.html"]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/017966.html[/url]

Old 08-11-2003, 12:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User
Hey =)
I decided to try a method of low carbing and it's been a year since I switched to a Gluten Free Diet. Basically what that means is you can't eat WHEAT, RYE, and BARLEY grains. There are a few others that contain gluten, but unless you go to a healthfood store, you shouldn't bump into them. This is a rather annoying diet at first because you will be reading ingredient labels and getting frustrated or disappointed because 90% of commerical, fast food, frozen, canned food contains Wheat or Gluten. ;-)

So I basically I had to give up a HUGE majority of conveince foods. Of course there are PLENTY of gluten-free substutes for pizza, pasta, cereal, muffins, cakes, and even oreo cookies. However, due to cost and my own fading interest in them, I eat them maybe 10% of the time. So in truth, I'm actually on a low grain diet, with myself consuming mainly corn and rice and occasionally oatmeal. Usually, I'll eat a box of cereal every other month, rarely do I want to drink anytihng other than water, and I can't drink soda (breaks me out). Otherwise, I do whatever I please, excpet that sugar cravings have drastically been reduced. I don't even like the taste of 100% fruit juice unless I diluted it water ;-) Yet I will eat potatoes (even french fries), vegetables, fruits, meats, poultry, and organic milk. to snack on I'll eat very rarely eat a granola or protein bar, dried fruit, nuts, seeds, rice cakes, popcorn, and potato chips.

LOL, not a perfect diet by far, but that and a reduced form of spiro has gotten me 99%+ clear. I suppose if I gave up the rest of the grains or some of that starch I would be perfectly clear. Infact the way some acne sufferers cleared 100% without ANY supplements or medication was by eliminating ALL grains, bananas (avoiding) peanuts & cashews (I avoid these), and Nightshades (potatos, tomatos, peppers, eggplant). Yet, others only had to eliminate all grains.

So finally I've learned that the only way I'm going to safely have any variety in my diet is if I learn how to cook. So I've actually bought several books on low carbing and grain elimination diets. One of these books is known as the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. It's called the SCD because you will be avoiding lactose, starch, and grain carbohydrates. Now, what's fascinating about this is that you can STILL "have your cake and eat it too." Except that your cake or other "bread" products won't be made from ANY type of grain or starch, but...nuts or beans. There's a variety of websites that offer nut flours and recipes to make all sorts of desserts and other foods.

Wow, I used to think that I would marry a man that could cook, but I wouldn't....now I have no choice
;-/ LOL

Night

Closed Thread