It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2007, 08:06 AM   #1
(female)

gradstudent09 HB User
Spironolactone and hormonal effects

I am a 43 year old woman who has battled hormonal acne most of my adult life. My derm put me on 25 mg of Spironolactone a few months ago. I did not see any improvement, so the dose was increased to 50 mg. Since increasing the amount of the drug, I have noticed my breasts seem more sensitive and am wondering what the hormonal effects of Spironolactone may be. I took myself off oral contraceptives when the HRT controversy erupted and have been suspicious of hormones ever since.

Anyone else with these symptoms?

Old 08-31-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User
Re: Spironolactone and hormonal effects

I've been taking 100mg of Spiro daily for about 6 months now. I haven't noticed any side effects. Sorry I couldn't offer much help!!

Have you asked your Dr. or Pharmacist about it?
PCOS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
(female)

gradstudent09 HB User

Are you taking it for acne and have you seen any improvement?

Old 08-31-2007, 03:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent09 View Post
I am a 43 year old woman who has battled hormonal acne most of my adult life. My derm put me on 25 mg of Spironolactone a few months ago. I did not see any improvement, so the dose was increased to 50 mg. Since increasing the amount of the drug, I have noticed my breasts seem more sensitive and am wondering what the hormonal effects of Spironolactone may be. I took myself off oral contraceptives when the HRT controversy erupted and have been suspicious of hormones ever since.

Anyone else with these symptoms?
I do not think spiro is considered a hormone by itself. It just is a testosterone blocker.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent09 View Post
Are you taking it for acne and have you seen any improvement?
Yes, I have PCOS and developed acne (among other things). It cleared up my skin fairly quickly. I could really see an improvement in about a week.
PCOS

Old 09-08-2007, 06:41 PM   #6
(female)

kesae HB User

Does anyone use Saw Palmetto to help with their oily skin?

Old 09-08-2007, 06:44 PM   #7
(female)

kesae HB User

I recently loss my health coverage so I can't get spiro. I need to find alternatives.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:27 AM   #8
(female)

MnGal25 HB User

Is SPIRO an antibiotic?

Old 09-09-2007, 11:07 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGal25 View Post
Is SPIRO an antibiotic?
No it's diuretic and antiandrogen.
PCOS

Old 09-10-2007, 04:30 AM   #10
(female)

MnGal25 HB User

Any thoughts on Keflex vs Spiro to get results?

I also take Yasmin.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:15 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

yes, do not take antibiotics if there are alternatives. keflex might work for a while but will stop and it can mess up your digestive systems. trust me that is not fun.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:26 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

Quote:
Any thoughts on Keflex vs Spiro to get results?

I also take Yasmin.
If you're looking for a quick fix, choose the antibiotic. If you want something that takes longer to start working, but might "cure" your acne in the long-run, I'd go with Spiro.

I took various antibiotics for about 4 years straight (without side effects), but the acne would always come back. I've been on Spiro for 9 months, and my skin is crystal clear

Last edited by tiggerbuddy; 09-10-2007 at 05:27 PM.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:55 AM   #13
(female)

MnGal25 HB User

Skimom, what type of digestive problems??? Ive been okay so far - 2 weeks that is, but the acne under my chin is BAD!

Tigerbuddy, did you take Yasmin alone at all or has it always been taken with Spiro? If taken alone, did you get any results just from Yasmin? Ive taken every antibiotic out there, accutance twice, etc - its so frustrating. Then when the derm just gave me another antibiotic, I was disappointed. I wanted Spiro but he said to try this first. I think I need to find a new derm!

Old 09-11-2007, 09:54 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

Quote:
Skimom, what type of digestive problems??? Ive been okay so far - 2 weeks that is, but the acne under my chin is BAD!

Tigerbuddy, did you take Yasmin alone at all or has it always been taken with Spiro? If taken alone, did you get any results just from Yasmin? Ive taken every antibiotic out there, accutance twice, etc - its so frustrating. Then when the derm just gave me another antibiotic, I was disappointed. I wanted Spiro but he said to try this first. I think I need to find a new derm!
Hi, I'm acutally not on Yasmin now. I take "Apri" (generic Desogen). I did at one time try Yasmin though, but it didn't really do anything for me.

With antibiotics, some can cause GI upset (especially Doxycycline). Another side effect that you might get (with more long term use) is a yeast infection. Most of the time I took antbiotics it was Minocycline, which IMO is the best antibiotic with the least severe side effects.

I REALLY think you should try Spiro. It sounds like you've already tried everything (twice!). Being on Yasmin should help since it has a tiny bit of drosperinone (sp?), but I bet you would really benefit with 100 mg Spiro daily. Try to see an endocrinologist if you're having difficulty finiding someone to prescribe it for you. Good luck!

Old 09-11-2007, 04:29 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

you will never get a medical doctor telling you this but I am pretty much convinced that my daughter has many digestive problems because of her years of antibiotic use. she started at 12 and is 19 now. now she has many food allergies, constipation and candida plus thyroid issues. antibiotics upset the flora in your system. they kill the good and bad bacteria that your gut needs to digest your food. we have enlisted the help of a naturopath to straighten her out and wean her off without breakouts. i have alot of problems too and it's possible it's cause I took them also for acne. i am not trying to freak you out, I am just suggesting that it is best to be off of them if there are alternatives. you can search out wellness type web sites and learn more about antibiotics effect on the system. they are not meant to be taken long term.

Closed Thread