It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2003, 11:20 AM   #1

nomoreacneplz HB User
Post experiences with aloe vera

Hi, if you've tried aloe vera, please tell us your experiences. I'm really thinking of trying it since I've read some good stuff about it on this board. But I'm still very cautious about putting anything on my face, so I'm just wondering if anyone out there have had BAD experiences with aloe vera. For example, did it make you break out more? Or, was it just GREAT?

Please share with us your experience:

-How long have you used Aloe Vera?

-Are you still using it?

-Do you use the aloe vera straight from the plant or do you use store-bought tubes?

-If you use store-bought aloe, what brand do you use?

-What effects did you experience? Bad or good?

Thanks a bunch!! I would really appreciate your responses. (I did a search on "aloe" and I didn't see any thorough responses, so your answers or responses will really help me! Thanks again!)

Old 08-09-2003, 12:42 PM   #2
(male)

Indy007 HB User
I've been using Aloe Vera on and off for about a month or so. I can't say that it stopped my breakouts but when I put it on it does make my skin look smooth. I use 99.5% pure aloe vera and I just apply the gel straight to my face. On thing though, DON'T put too much at once. Put a thin layer, or else you face will get extremely RED. Also, when you apply you'll get a tingling sensation. Cheers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2003, 02:49 PM   #3

nomoreacneplz HB User
well, I couldn't wait, so I went looking for the aloe vera gel at drug stores. It's so weird, though, since I can't find any! and I live in New York City, too. I went to Duane Reade, which is like the biggest drug store chain here, but all I found are aloe vera lotions. I don't think these are the same thing as the aloe vera gel we're talking about, right?

Anyways, I went to 2 other smaller pharmacies and I found something called: "Aloe Care by Roberts Research Laboratories" --Anyone heard or tried this?

It says on the bottle that it's "Pure Aloe Vera Gel" and I looked in the back for the ingredients and Aloe Vera Gel is listed first as the ingredient; that's a good sign. However, no where on the bottle does it say the percentage of aloe vera. Do you guys think that by "pure" they mean 100% aloe vera? I doubt it, though, since a few other ingredients are listed along with aloe, such as water, alcohol, glycerin, and 5 other scientific names, then fragrance, and color. (I wish that they didn't put the fragrance and color in it; I think it's just added, uneccessary ingredients.)

I chose to buy this, because it has the least amount of other ingredients. The lotions that I saw don't list aloe as the first ingredient and have loads of other ingredients. The only lotion that list aloe as the first ingredient is Fruit of the Earth, but it has more "other" ingredients.

Sorry, for the long-winded post, but tell me what you think.

By the way, my gel comes in the color green...does anyone of you use something like this?

Old 08-09-2003, 03:23 PM   #4

T-zone HB User
You want the product to indicate the purity, 100% pure or something very close, you also want it to have a certificate that the aloe vera is good quality, a little logo on the tube. I haven't used it extensively on my face but where I have used it there didn't seem to be any problems, its great as a moistureiser on other parts of the body, alot of the benefits are well documented on websites...

Old 08-09-2003, 03:58 PM   #5
(male)

Indy007 HB User
nomoreacneplz, hopefully it shouldn't give you a problem. I bought mine from a Health/Natural store. You know, the place where you can get herbal, holistice, vitamins kinds of stuff. Mine is a clear gel and it has no fragrance. Cheers!

Old 08-09-2003, 03:59 PM   #6

nomoreacneplz HB User
T-zone:

What logo are you talking about? What does it look?

What brand do you use?

Thanks!

Old 08-09-2003, 04:01 PM   #7

nomoreacneplz HB User
Indy:

You said that it didn't stop your breakouts. But did it make your acne worse? did you get anything like an initial breakout?

Just wondering. Thx.

Old 08-09-2003, 07:00 PM   #8
(male)

Indy007 HB User
nomoreacneplz, I don't think it made it worse. Did I get an initial breakout? I can't say, cuz, I had started using something else with aloe vera because I was just recovering from a horrible breakout. So if I had broken out I wouldn't have cared cuz my face already looked like a war zone.

Someone here posted that aloe vera is good to control oil but I find thats not necessarily true, which was why I was using it in the first place.

One thing, though, Aloe vera DOES help with red marks. I find when I apply it my red marks become pinkish and eventually fade (usually within a few days)

Hope that helps.

Old 08-11-2003, 05:02 AM   #9

Qtpie121 HB User
Thumbs down

If I where you I wouldn't try it i just bought some a week ago tryed it once woke up and I had a really bad breakout and it doesn't even smell that great either.

Closed Thread