It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2003, 12:54 AM   #1

qsph21 HB User
Post sulfameth/trim for skin problems? did this doctor goof...?

hi...I've just been curious about this. A few weeks ago my dermatologist decided to 'get more aggressive' and totally revamped my stuff. He changed my retina-a to tazorac and a benzoyl peroxide, and changed my minocyline to sulfameth/trim.

I called my cousin up (he's a doctor) and talked with him about these. He was really shocked that the doctor prescribed the sulfameth/trim for skin proplems. He told me that those drugs are usually used to treat infections such as strep/staph or urinary tract infections. I did some research on it and found similar information.

So I've come here to ask..have any of you ever been prescribed this or heard of it being prescribed for skin problems?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2003, 08:18 AM   #2

Brownsugar HB User
Interesting question. My derm. had put me on mino. but after a biopsy showed that I also have elevated levels of a naturally occuring skin fungus she quickly switched me to a drug used in fighting skin fungi. I don't recall the name of the drug right now but will try to get the name later. The results of my biopsy suggested that minocycline might have been aggravating my condition.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread