It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2003, 07:49 PM   #1

curiousz HB User
Post Will a doctor (non derm) prescribe antibiotics?

The problem is -- It takes 6 months to make an appointment with a derm...and I've never been before, but I do know that antibiotics would clear me up.

Will a regular doctor prescribe me antibiotics?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2003, 08:47 PM   #2

boardguy16 HB User
yes, my regular doctor prescribed antibiotics for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2003, 04:38 AM   #3

nerd HB User
Yes, and I doubt you *know* that antibiotics will clear you up, they didn't do jack for me (tetracycline, minocycline).

Old 08-12-2003, 06:37 AM   #4

pearpen27 HB User
Yep--- any Medical Doctor can prescribe any drug--- However, not to bring ya down, but don't get your hopes up about the antibotics. After several months (which is really too long to take 'em) they may control pimples but they won't make your complextion better.

Find a derm who can see you before six months from now. Surely there is one who can see you within the month. Surely...

Old 08-12-2003, 12:11 PM   #5

curiousz HB User
Well, here's the deal.

My sis was prescribed antibiotics (amoxicillin) and differen gel about a year ago when she started getting bumps (that were bigger than mine). Now she has flawless skin...literally no acne at all...

Now, I'm older than she is...and I figure using antibiotics will give me some time for my skin to heal without more little bumps, and hopefully it will get out of my system. I've never seen my parents with acne..so I'm hoping I'll grow out of it and let my visage heal.

And I'm planning on doing a three pronged attack to destroy acne:

1. Destroy the bacteria through antibiotics. Replace it with Probiotics. Take zinc supplements to help reduce scarring.

2. Reduce sebum through taking 4-5 grams of B5/day.

3. Destroy acne from the outside as well with topical benzoyl peroxide. Wear a zinc + sulfur masque to reduce inflammed pores and help promote healing.

Acne can't live if you attack every single angle that allows it to fester....granted, I don't have severe acne at all...but if you attack multiple angles at the same time you will clear up.

Old 08-12-2003, 12:28 PM   #6

pearpen27 HB User
Your plan does sound good--- just make sure you get the right antibotic for you. But your MD will know which one and if it doesn't work he or she can prescribe another for you...

Some people poo poo it, but the B5 really has helped me a lot. It is getting kind of expensive but I am clearing up ...

Old 08-12-2003, 12:31 PM   #7

curiousz HB User
Hey do you know how they determine what type of antibiotic is best?

Old 08-12-2003, 01:27 PM   #8

pearpen27 HB User
In my experience it has been trial an error. Just don't get frustrated. Tetracyline worked well for me but others on the board have not had success with it. I recently stopped taking it though cause I am doing the vitamin thing and it is working for me. I also use Tazorac cream (topical accutane).

You will definatley have to see a derm at some point (I am sure your doc will tell you so) but perhaps he or she has some experience with a topical that may work for you in the mean time. It wouldn't hurt to ask something like, "Hey Doc, I know I need to see a derm but I can't get an appointment until six months from now. This acne is killing me and I was wondering if perhaps you could give me a prescription for a good topcial and an antibotic to use in the mean time."

I like Tazorac but it is VERY strong and in my case, I can only use it 3 or 4 times a week and the intial breakout was TERRIBLE... do a search on the board.

But neutragena BP works very well also but use it at night cause like all BP it is very drying. Another suggestion find a toner that works for you-- not an astrigent but a good toner. Put it on after you wash your face and let it sit for a minute or two and then splash water on your face.

If you can find it Biography magazine (July 2003) had a good article about skin care with good suggestions for toners and cleaners and how to use them correctly. I really like Burts Bees Garden Tomato (it does sting though) and Neutragena's Pore Refining Toner--- has Alpha and Beta Hydroxy and Glycolic Acid. Don't let it sit on your face though...

Old 08-12-2003, 01:37 PM   #9

curiousz HB User
Yeah, that's the plan.

I'm going to tell my doc that I will set up an appointment with my derm, but in the meantime I would like to be prescribed antibiotics since they worked well for someone in my family.

Hopefully, he won't decline...

Closed Thread