It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2003, 04:03 PM   #1

wicketglen7 HB User
Post SweetJade1, I have a question

I am impressed with your knowledge. I am going to try the diet route and find one that works for me. Why not what have I got to lose other than an unhealthy appetite considering my diet consists of sugar and fat. No joke. With how much I eat junk, I should be morbidly obese. I have a massive sweet tooth which I don't deny and hate to cook so eat fast food for lunch and dinner. Thankfully I am not too overweight. I am 1 pound out of my healthy weight range but would like to loose 10 pounds.
any ways, have you heard of the Pritikin diet? They have a longevity center and Nathan Pritikin cured himself from heart disease. Very interesting. I am reading his book (the son's) and it is basically saying some of the same things you noticed in correlation to Insulin levels and what we eat etc. It is basically a low fat high carbohydrated diet to counter act your fat instinct. Very little if any processed refined foods the carbs come from plant foods. Is this the same as some of the diets you researched? Sorry if this is confusing, I am trying to type before it all escapes me...

Old 08-12-2003, 05:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User
Wicketglen,
LOL, so you are a Carbohydrate or Sugar Addict, huh? I do believe that there have been specific books written for people like you ;-) He he, anyway Pritkin sounded familiar, but I had to look him up a bit more before answering. At first I was a bit confused, but then I figured that he MUST be talking about consuming high amounts of Fruits, Vegetables, and Non-Refined grain carbohydrates. In that case, it sounds like a great diet to start with.

In terms of the Low fat, that's also ok, but most of us around her tend to cook with Olive Oils and consume Omega-3s. He also want's you to lower your animal protein and dairy and you can do that if you like, but in terms of controlling your Insulin levels, in general you want your protein to be around that of your carbohydrate intake. For example maybe: 30% - 40% Protein, 30% - 40% Carbohydrates, and 20% Healthy Fats & Oils.

LOL, no I never count this, nor do I count carbs, or calories. This diet sounds good if you like to count all those things, otherwise he's not leading you astray on what he reccomends. Not only will your heart be happier, but you may loose some weight (side effect of most low carb diets), and HOPEFULLY get clear.

Other suggested diets for you to check out would be:
Specific Carbohydrate Diet
Sugar Busters Diet
Atkins Diet books
Schwarzbein Principle
Protein Power

Yet, for the most part, all you've gotta do is increase your healthy fat intake (lower those transfatty acids from hydrogenated oils), lower your evil carb intake, and balance the rest out as you like. If don't see any improvement or if you do, then you can try going a bit stricter like the rest of us "crazy," but nearly or completely clear acne sufferers ;-)

take care and good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread