It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2003, 08:38 PM   #1

Anita1982 HB User
Post home microdermabrasion

Hello everyone,
I am new here. I am 20 years old, and have suffered acne for 4 years. Well, I still can cover it with makeup, but when I take it off, gosh, my face looks aweful. Anyways, my question is: Has anyone ever tried home microdermabrasion before??? It's soo much cheaper than the ones that you get at a spa, or doctor's office, but then it scares me because what if it's a scam??? I saw it on a web page and desperately need to clear away the dark spots left over from my stupid persistent acne...
Please let me know whether you have success with home microdermabrasion or not
Thanks...
Anne

Old 12-09-2003, 11:00 AM   #2

RedRobynNAU9 HB User
Re: home microdermabrasion

I just bought a home dermabrasion kit today, actually. It was on sale, so I figured even if it IS a scam, I'd rather spend $35 finding out (as opposed to $150 per session at an office!) if it's possible it might work. I'll keep you posted as far as results go...after my first session, though, my skin felt really soft and smooth! (if that even matters...) I bought the Skin Microdermabrasion kit from Sally's Beauty Supply.

Last edited by RedRobynNAU9; 12-09-2003 at 11:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2003, 11:18 AM   #3

matahari HB User

As for the microdermabrasions they do at the salon, I don't believe they are a scam... just really friggin expensive.... $95 a pop! My cousin & aunt have been getting them done (they too have the dark acne scars) and their skin looks fabulous! Their scars have faded dramatically and thier skin looks so soft & bright. I want to get them done if my face ever clears up completely (*fingers crossed*). If you try a home one, let me know if it works!!!

Old 12-10-2003, 11:33 AM   #4

uniquejp HB User

try philosophy the greatest love. its a 3 minute hydrating microdermabrading scrub....go on [url]www.qvc.com[/url] (there really reliable and trustworthy!)

Old 12-10-2003, 04:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

I'm a student and as such I actually watch QVC It's a laugh.

RedRobyn, what's the home dermabrasion kit like exactly? Let us know how it works please.

Old 12-10-2003, 04:11 PM   #6

uniquejp HB User

i used it for the 1st time today and i can honestly say it did make my skin smooth. i would give it probably 1 month twice a week..... i have philosophy's clear kit for acne and i've been using that for about 10 days and i'm going through the initial breakout. on QVC they said give it about 4 weeks. so we'll see.

Old 12-10-2003, 09:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User

I'm very interested in this. Can someone please give me some more information. Is it safe to do by yourself (obviously, if they sell it), but more specifically, does it have side-effects (burning, etc..) I still have acne, can I still use it? Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Old 12-16-2003, 11:52 AM   #8

RedRobynNAU9 HB User

JHart: The kit I bought (and I assume they're all the same) is sort of like an exfoliant I guess you could say. They give you this little vibrating wand, you put some Resurfacing Cream on the sponge-y part and "massage" over your face for 5 minutes. The Resurfacing Cream has crystals in it...I would assume the same type crystals they use at the doctors office. The crystals are really fine so they're not rubbing your face raw...in fact, I don't notice any redness at all after using it. I've even done a treatment right before I went out to the bars one night and you couldn't even tell (as far as redness/senstivity).

I've used regular face exfoliants before (like St. Ives)...and not only does my face turn bright red and sting a little, but I've never really noticed a difference as far as the smoothing out of my skin. This kit however, really HAS been working!! I've only used it 6 times (I'm on my "rest" period right now) but I can already see HUGE improvements! I'm really excited about it!

If you're like me and have tried alot of other "remedies" for getting rid of acne scars...this isn't the kind of thing where you're like, "Yeah, I think I see some improvement...I guess this is working...I'll keep trying to see what happens." I honestly DO see improvements...and I'm hoping to see 100% results in a month or two...it works that well! (knock on wood)
I thought there was no hope for me (other than lasers and other scary stuff like that)...so I am THRILLED that I tried this. And like I said earlier, why not try it out for a month or so...spend $35 and see what happens! I'm sure glad I did...and it's a heck of alot cheaper (and more convenient) than $95-$150 per session at an office!!

Good luck! And let me know if you all decide to try it!

Last edited by RedRobynNAU9; 12-16-2003 at 11:54 AM.

Old 12-16-2003, 12:12 PM   #9

RedRobynNAU9 HB User

Andrew:

I would think that microdermabrasion would just irritate your skin if it's broken out...maybe even make it worse. But that's just my opinion.

Closed Thread