It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2003, 10:55 PM   #1

mouseee HB User
Post accutane worked for me

im currently in week 9 of my accutane treatment. I use to surf this page everyday and sometimes even multiple times a day searching for a cure. Now i come on like twice a week and only if im really bored. If nothing else is working for you, i suggest giving accutane a try. The side effects are really not bad at all. If you have any questiosn i would be glad to help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2003, 11:09 PM   #2

anth0r HB User
how bad was the drying effect?
flaky/tight/red or just slightly flakey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2003, 11:10 PM   #3

Lyndsey HB User
Thumbs up

I think I'm around week 8 now, and it's going well.
that's why I haven't been around here much lately either.
It took a few weeks to get the correct dosage, so at first I had some pretty bad side effects.

But I've had exactly 4 zits in 2 months! That's it! Also my skin is much smoother, not dripping with oil, and more even toned.

The best part is: foods that used to make me break out(like ice-cream!) I can eat again, no worries.

My daily skin treatment goes something like this:

Wash face with water.
Pat dry.
Apply sunscreen (This used to make me break out).
Apply lipgloss/chapstick, which I keep in my pocket to re-apply as needed(every hour or so).

That's it.
Occasionally I'll put lotion on around noon. Something that I could never do before.
Lotions and anything in my hair used to cause breakouts.
Now when applying hairspray and stuff I don't have to worry about avoiding my face.

The dryness isn't bad in the least. Mostly just around my mouth, and the chapstick takes care of it. It's a little flakey, but doesn't bother me. I also told my co-workers about it so I don't have to worry about someone asking.

[This message has been edited by Lyndsey (edited 08-11-2003).]

Old 08-10-2003, 11:32 PM   #4

boardguy16 HB User
im just finishing my second month and im 100% clear
all i have left now is red marks that will go away with time (they were from before accutane, i never had an initial breakout).

Old 08-11-2003, 03:43 AM   #5

mouseee HB User
when i started my face felt a little tight. Later on my face started looking red. Now after 2 months i can honestly say i havent used moisturizer on my face for the last month. Feels great to not worry about that stuff.

Old 08-12-2003, 08:44 PM   #6

axiom HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by anth0r:
how bad was the drying effect?
flaky/tight/red or just slightly flakey
Depends on the dosage. The higher the more flaking skin/lip/eyelid, dryer nostril. I never experience depression with accutane, maybe its a myth.

Old 08-13-2003, 02:06 AM   #7

beans and rice HB User
im on week 5 i think, and i can honestly say that accutane is working really well considering the minor side effects like dryness(which i rarely get anymore), dry lips, dry nose. The only problem I have is, and hopefully someone can help me out here, is that i still got like the scarrish red marks on my cheeks, and i kinda think accutane made them more red, but i was wondering if accutane will eventually help those red marks/scars out?...someone help me out

Old 08-13-2003, 06:56 PM   #8

FacingIt HB User
Hullo there. I have 13 days left on my four month long accutane treatment.

I'm not completely clear, I have two zits at the moment, but considering that I started with about 30 zits, that's a fabulous improvement. For the first two months, things were worse. Everything beneath my skin came to the surface, and I had tons of whiteheads. The oilyness was gone within a week however.

I currently have a few very small scars and lots of red marks, but I expect these to fade with time.

My lips were and still are horribly dry. The only thing that seems to help is carmex. My eyes never got dry, nor did my skin, and I did take a daily vitamin E supplement.

My nose just recently started itching a lot. If this is a huge problem, I'd suggest going to a pharmacy to get an over the counter nose gel. Mine (I use it very rarely) is called Rhinitis.

BTW, I'm a 16 year old (soon to be 17), I had severe acne and oily skin, I'm Eurasian, but my skin is fairly pale.

If there's anything else I can help you with, let me know.

EDIT: I should mention that my skin never got very sensitive. I continued using BP on it when I had zits, and some other topicals. This however, is not the case for everyone. Some of you should probably reduce your regimen to a simple cleanser and a sunscreen moisturizer, along with lip chap.

[This message has been edited by FacingIt (edited 08-13-2003).]
Fire tip#42 Remember, never pet a burning dog.

Closed Thread