It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
(female)

TeraTastic HB User
Question Which birth control pill is best for clearing up acne?

I am going to start birth control and I was wondering if they are all good for acne or if maybe a certain one works better than another. Also is the birth control pill loestrin 24 the one that makes your period last 3 days also good for your acne?

Thanks!

Old 09-25-2007, 09:29 AM   #2
(female)

PixieJen HB User
Re: Which birth control pill is best for clearing up acne?

I heard that Yaz may help prevent acne. But I believe it is precribed for women with PMDD. In my experience I've been on 3 different types of birth control and they made my acne go down a little but not completely away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2007, 09:38 AM   #3
(female)

MusicElle HB User

It depends on the person the one that works for me is Ortho Tri-Cyclen. Unfortunatly it also makes me gain weight so its kind of a trade off. I've heard that alot of people that take Ortho Tri-Cyclen for acne then switch to Ortho Tri-Cyclen Low and their acne comes back on the Low version. So maybe a pill with more estrogen is better for acne but Im no doctor so don't qute me on that, thats just what I've found works for myself

Old 10-07-2007, 03:32 PM   #4
(female)

brjarrett1 HB User

I agree,I loved Ortho Tri Cyclen, and it works ssooo well. But now i'm on my own and have no health insurance and I can't take it And the Planned Parenthood I go to only has OTC Lo and it doesn't help with acne, my nodules/cysts have come back. Yaz helped with the bigger ones, but the small ones aren't too bad. But it didn't help with my PMDD, only made it worse. I have no idea what to do about my acne!!! What other BC pills work with acne?

Old 10-08-2007, 02:08 AM   #5
(female)

hillz_nz HB User

I was on Monofemme for a few months due to irregular periods, and i also noticed that it really helped with my skin. I had no bad side effects, and in Australia/NZ it is subsidized by the government

Old 10-09-2007, 06:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

I think the acne problem is caused by the Estrogen:Testosterone ratio being too high in the testosterone direction. Too much testosterone will cause oily skin & acne. Not enough testosterone can cause joint pain, depression, & loss of sexual drive.

Females can take a little estrogen, BC pills, to help raise the E:T ratio a bit in the estrogen direction.

Closed Thread