It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2003, 08:41 PM   #1
(female)

zusanna HB User
Exclamation Paula's Choice Users

Which products do you use??? I just received a catalog in the mail today and I got a sample of the 2% beta hydroxy lotion. I tried it on my face tonight, but I also know there is the 1% beta hydroxy lotion and the blemish fighting solution and the extra strength blemish fighting solution. Which ones work best for mild/moderate but persistent acne??

Old 08-12-2003, 12:36 AM   #2
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Lightbulb

My favorites are the 1% BHA and the 2% BHA liquid. There are no other BHAs like these out there.

The Blemish Fighting Solutions (BPO) are okay, in my opinion. The 2.5% (regular strength) is moderately effective, but the 5% was way too strong for my skin.

Why not try free samples of them all?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2003, 09:19 AM   #3

Forcefed4 HB User
I am actually trying the Paula's Choice 1% and 2% BHA lotions. I notice my face is at it's worst when it feels congested. I noticed that I develop lots of blackheads on my nose and chin, and then I break out real bad all over my face. I was using Brevoxyl cleanser which contains 4% BP, but that wasn't really doing much.

So 2 weeks ago I started to use Neutrogena's Clear Pore Treatment (2% salicylic acid) at night, and ordered the Paula's Choice products after reading how much people LOVED these.

My face is already starting to LOOK better, even though I am still breaking out a bit (to be expected). I don't have all the blackheads on the crease of my nose, and my face seems to be 'purging'. I keep picking out hard cores that would have most likely turned to inflamed acne if I hadn't started to do something.

Anyone know how long I can expect to see continuous results from using Paula's BHA lotions? My plan is to use them in the evenings while I sleep, since I hate having stuff on my face during the day.

Also, my face was tolerating the 2% Neutrogena product just fine, so should I use the 1 or 2% Paula's Choice product? I am guessing PC's product is more in the right Ph range for effectiveness, so the 1% might work just as well?

Kev

Old 08-12-2003, 10:06 AM   #4
(male)

FargoUT HB User
After about two months on Paula's Choice products, my face is virtually 98% clear. There are still some breakouts along my jawline and on my chin, but for the most part, they are a thing of the past. I truly hope it stays that way.

I'm about to order some more of her stuff because I'm running low. I bought a small size of the Oil Controlling Mask but I've only used it a couple times, so there's plenty left over.

I prefer the 2% BHA Liquid Solution (goes on like a toner--and if you have oily skin, the liquid solution is preferable to the lotion). I also bought the Skin Balancing Cleanser, which is my favorite cleanser now. I don't wear makeup (being a guy), so I don't know how well this stuff would be to remove makeup, but it works extremely well for me. I use the regular-strength Blemish Fighter every other day. I've never noticed that a higher percentage of BP has done anything more except irritate my skin. So I stick with the 2.5% version.

I would also like to add that I have been extremely strict when it comes to this skin care regimen. I don't miss a morning or evening. If you have an active social life (I have not had one because of self-esteem issues), it may be hard to follow. But routine is the key to keeping your skin clear. It took me about a week or two to see my acne reducing, and a month to be mostly clear. Two months through, and here I am. I have not stopped my routine, and I have not had many breakouts. Coincidence? I think not.

I'm extremely excited because I no longer have to wake up and fear looking in the mirror. Paula's Choice even cleared up my milia problem! However, I will say I do use Neutrogena's Healthy Skin Face Lotion (AHA and vitamins). I put that on every night before I go to bed. I definitely recommend using an AHA on top of a BHA (but not together--use the AHA in the morning, and the BHA at night, or vice versa). My skin is even better than when I was on Accutane--I don't have any side effects, and my skin tone is improving.

Now the final problem--body acne. I hope Paula can come up with a body care line to take care of body blemishes. Or maybe she has... I will have to check her website again.

[This message has been edited by FargoUT (edited 08-12-2003).]

Old 08-12-2003, 04:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

poreoilyme HB User
I alternate using the l% and 2% BHAs. I love them both and have used them for years with great results.

Old 08-12-2003, 04:39 PM   #6

Forcefed4 HB User
Glad to hear you also use the Neutrogena Healthy Skin lotion, because I use this also (the Sensitive Skin version, supposedly has buffered AHA).

I notice when I use this lotion for a few days, usually in the evening (it makes my face little a little shiny during the day, which can be kinda odd...hehe), my face just LOOKS better. And old blemishes seem to 'fade' faster.

I am going to try the 2% lotion tonight before bed, since I did buy it. I didn't buy the 2% liquid, since I generally hate toner like items. But maybe I will try it in the future.

Kev

Old 08-13-2003, 04:00 AM   #7

Acnepain HB User
Tim Dream,

I have been using the BHA 1% solution for the last few weeks and had great results for the first week and a half but then suddenly last week I started getting some bumps underneath my skin again. Do you recommend using the lotion instead of the solution as I know someone else mentioned that the solution clogged their pores! Also I had been using it twice a day-should I change to once a day?

Old 08-13-2003, 03:40 PM   #8

moca HB User
Question

I was just wondering where you can get paula products... if some one could let me know it would really help

Old 08-13-2003, 09:12 PM   #9
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Lightbulb

Acnepain, I think that some people find that the 2% lotion clogs pores, but that the 2% liquid solution does NOT! This is because the lotion contains more emollient ingredients for moisturizing. However, some people also prefer the lotion (if it does not clog their pores), because it absorbs faster and they don't have to wait like with the liquid. I much prefer the liquid solution, because the lotion clogged my pores.

Moca, PC products are only available online, at the company's website. We are not allowed to post specific websites on this board, but it is very easy to find...I'm sure you can figure it out.

Closed Thread