It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2003, 04:08 PM   #1
(female)

jerimee HB User
Exclamation Accutane and Thyroid

I have recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism (6/03). I was on accutane (80mg/day) for the entire year of 2000. I am searching for answers on if this could be related. I was also on Adoxa 200mg/day for acne from 1/02 until 3/03. After I stopped the Adoxa I started having health problems (being tired, no motivation, etc). So now I take Synthroid but it doesnt seem to help. Answers please!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2003, 11:33 PM   #2

Memnoch636 HB User
Question

Well hello. I also have a a thyroid problem, however I was always told that this was hereditary. I have never heard of any drug that caused a thyroid problem. I know of many herbs and drugs that could help, or hurt your thyroid; but have never heard of anything that would induce this problem.

If Accutane or another drug damaged your thyroid, that would really suck to say the least. Please keep me posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2003, 08:56 AM   #3
(female)

too old for this HB User
Hey there, I also have hypothyroidism. I understand it's fairly common, especially in women. Are you female?

The symptoms you mention -- fatigue, no motivation, etc. -- suggest that your doc might have to increase the level of synthroid. I started out on a low dose, but as my hypothyroidism got worse the dose had to be upped. It usually takes months for the doc to figure out the right dose for you.

It sucks to have to be on a medication for the rest of your life, doesn't it? At least with acne, I think, OK, *someday* it will go away. But the thyroid problem will never go away.

[This message has been edited by too old for this (edited 08-14-2003).]

Old 08-14-2003, 01:05 PM   #4

Memnoch636 HB User
Lightbulb

Hey, I have no idea what you were looking for. I'm also a male with Thyroid problems. But I found an herb from India that helps support your Thyroid, and has been linked to help acne. It's called Guggul or Commiphora Mukul. It has been proven to help your Thyroid gland, and has been sugested to help acne. Maybe this would be perfect for you.

Closed Thread