It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2003, 08:56 AM   #1

Eltekeh HB User
Question All these acids

So many of you seem very educated about products and ingredients. I am interesed in the Acne Cure method (reading the book now) and have read patienceandreward's modified Cure routine and comments. But I am confused... can anyone help explain what the difference is between:
1. Salicylic Acid
2. Glycolic Acid
3. Alpha Hydroxy Acid
4. Beta Hydroxy Acid
Are any of these interchangeable? Meaning, they perform the same function on your skin?
I see Paula's Choice battle plan (found online) calls for AHA or BHA as an exfoliant, but the Cure book calls for Glycolic. What's the difference? I guess this is my main question.

(I know I should know some of this from my reading but I would appreciate just hearing your opinions/experiences/explanations).

Old 08-14-2003, 12:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User
Salicyclic Acid is an exfoliant it removes dead skin cells off the top layer of the skin (it is also used as a fungicide).

Glycolic Acid is in the AHA family.It penetrates the skin and loosens thickened surface areas (dry, rough and scaling skin). It is said to improve skin appearance by decreasing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.

*Glycolic Acid & Salicylic Acid USED 2 GETHER ..
Glycolic acid is also helpful in the treatment of problem-prone or acne-prone skin when used in the context of a product that also contains salicylic acid. In fact, a recent study suggests that a glycolic/salicylic acid combination product may be more beneficial in acne treatment than 10% benzoyl peroxide.

AHA - Alpha hydroxy acids are among the most effective skin moisturizing agents available. They are said to reduce wrinkles and age spots.

BHA - Another good exfoliant. Beta hydroxy acids have a larger molecule than their cousin, alpha hydroxy acids. The larger molecule size keeps the beta hydroxy acid on the surface of the skin allowing it to more effectively penetrate and exfoliate within the pore. This action within the pores make it an ideal exfoliant for use on acne and acne-prone skin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2003, 01:10 PM   #3

Frogjive HB User
1. Salicylic Acid=Beta Hydroxy Acid
2. Glycolic Acid=Alpha Hydroxy Acid

Old 08-14-2003, 01:36 PM   #4

JimC981 HB User
Salicylic acid is the only beta hydroxy acid there is ... alpha hydroxy acids are from natrual ingredients ... the two off the top of my head are glycolic acid which comes from sugar cane and lactic acid which comes from lactose (or milk)

For breakouts, beta hydroxy acid is preferred over alpha hydroxy acid b/c it is oil soluble ... which means it can exfoliate INSIDE the lining of your pores ... but some people can't use BHA so AHA is the next choice

In my uses of these acids, I have found that AHA works better for softening redmarks and smoothing out your outer layer of skin ... how you use BHA and AHA is something you just gotta try out and see

Closed Thread