It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2003, 12:24 PM   #1

fruffy HB User
Unhappy frustrated!!!!!!!

I just switched dermatologists b/c the one i was goin to was too far away. the new one i'm seeing, this old guy, took me off the minocycline and differin (the differin didnt seem to make much difference, but i liked the antibiotic) and put me on erythromycin and cleocin-t gel. my face looks worse now than it has in months!!!!!!!!! i've got the cysts back and now my cheeks and chin are breaking out in rashes of small, red, itchy pimples.. it's horrible!!! i went to see him today and told him that i am totally unhappy with the treatment so far, and he said i am "expecting to be cured overnight" and that i have to give it time.. i also told him that my skin is so oily i have to constantly wipe it down, and he said to keep using OTC neutrogena soap, which is totally ineffective, because "you want to keep the oil flowing," which sounded TOTALLY asinine to me, b/c i thought everyone knew that OIL is what CAUSES acne?!?!?!!?? so i spent an hour afterwards bawling my face off and now i'm about to have to go to work and face my co-workers, who all blatantly STARE at my acne as if they've never seen it before.. i'm miserable!!! has anyone else ever used this cleocin crap, and does it really work?? he said to start washing my face three times a day now instead of two, so i washed again when i came home but this time i sneaked on the azelex i had left over from my other dr and said screw the cleocin.. need encouragement!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2003, 12:54 PM   #2
(female)

too old for this HB User
Hello! Cleocin-T is a topical antibiotic. I use it. It helps, but there have been times when I was using it consistently and still broke out badly and had to be put on an oral antiobiotic too. Derms like to prescribe it, but I don't think it's all that effective, to be honest. I think it controls/prevents breakouts a little, but if you have stubborn, moderate to severe acne it's not going to be enough.

Funny, I like differin. It's the only thing that's working on my stubborn as hell backne.

Right now I am taking mino, and using both differin (once, at night) and Cleocin-T (morning and night). This combination is the most effective for me so far.

Old 08-14-2003, 04:57 PM   #3

wicketglen7 HB User
Oh I hate it when people are sad. I am sorry you are feeling this way.
Well in my humble opinion we do NOT know that oil causes acne. If that were the case, and the case were that simple, there would be no problem controling and or curing acne across the world. So don't completley discredit the derm. Although it doesn't sound as if the cleocin (is that what it was?)
is working for you, however I don't know how long you have been working with it. It usually takes anywhere from 2 to 4 months to see if something is going to work for you. This is what my derm tells me and I love him. He also says that if in 2 months my acne gets considerably worse, it isn't going to work and to add something into it or take it away. But if it seems to be stabalized then I must wait because maybe in 4 months it will be fine. I don't know how things are for you though, as I don't think you specified.
Hugs

Closed Thread