It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
(female)

hennypenny HB User
Smile How I cleared up my skin!

Hello! I just wanted to share what helped me pretty much get clear skin after suffering breakouts all through my teens and into my early twenties. I'm now 22 and I rarely get pimples anymore! Before I had moderate acne...cysts, whiteheads, blah. I tried antibiotics, creams, and finally tried Proactiv. The Proactiv was a big mistake! It irritated and inflamed my face even more. My face looked reeeeally bad and greasy. So here are the changes I made that have helped me get to the clear skin I have now...

(note: some of the products I bought initially were fairly expensive, but now I don't need them)

First, I stopped using all creams and most "acne" face wash products. They were just making my face angry.

Then, I bought a soap a friend recommended from Lush called "coalface." It is a black soap that, yes, has coal in it. I would wash my face once in the morning and once at night. I would also use a good quality moisturizer like Clinique after I washed.

I started drinking a LOT more water. I started eating more vegetables, which I didn't really enjoy at first, but now I think they are yummy when prepared well. I also ate more fruit and tried to limit the amount of crappy food (junk food, food with preservatives, sugar, sweeteners, etc) I ingested. I've heard some people say that diet doesn't influence acne, dermatologists included...well, they are WRONG. Stop eating like crap and make sure you're getting all of your vitamins.

I also stopped picking at my face. I would always want to pop whiteheads because they were hideous, but I stopped doing that and started using Benefit's "Galactic Shield" concealer instead. I also bought "Boo Boo Zap" from Benefit and put that on any pimples I had. That stuff initially worked pretty well for me.

After a couple of weeks of this, my skin started to calm down. Then I started using a glycolic acid peel on my face 2-3 times a week. This helped sooooo much I can't even tell you!

After continuing this regime for a while, my skin got better and better and now I am at the point where I just wash my face with water, use some witch hazel, jojoba oil at night as a moisturizer, and I do an "aspirin mask" a couple times a week. It took a while before my skin got completely clear, probably about 6-8 months, but it was definitely worth the wait.

Hope some of this can help you out! Good luck.

Last edited by hennypenny; 10-02-2007 at 02:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2007, 06:47 PM   #2
(female)

MnGal25 HB User
Re: How I cleared up my skin!

Which brand glycolic peel do you use?

Old 02-01-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
(female)

dangelo395 HB User
Re: How I cleared up my skin!

Do you have oily skin?

Closed Thread