It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2003, 09:16 PM   #1
(female)

sourpunch HB User
Lightbulb bp 2.5, 5, or 10%

ive been using bp 10% my whole life, but it seems like most of you use 2.5 or the 5% kind. is it because you have more sensitive skin that you use this? i know they say that the 5% is supposed to be as good as the 10%, but i still think its a bit stronger. i normally only apply it on problem spots, but i want to start putting it all over my face. so im thinking in order to do this, maybe i should step down a notch in bp and use 2.5%. does anyone here uses bp all over their face, and what strength??? also, what brand is the best? ive only been using clearasil, and am thinking of experimenting this time around.....

Old 08-14-2003, 10:22 PM   #2

Bernadette21 HB User
I've been using 10% benzoyl peroxide cream over my whole face for years. I think it's the only thing that keeps my ENTIRE face filling up with nodules. I don't think 2.5% or 5% is nearly as effective as 10%, especially for someone who can tolerate using 10%. I 'd recommend using the 10 all over your whole face; if you're prone to acne everywhere. Start using it just once a day all over and see how you react. I use Oxy cream, 10%.

[This message has been edited by Bernadette21 (edited 08-15-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2003, 10:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

scouselad1974 HB User
Hi everyones skin is different so different strengths may work for one person but not another.
Heres my B.P story.
I used 10% for many years and it did keep my skin fairly clear,but eventually it dried my skin out thus encouraging more oil production along with redness and flakyness.
Recently i decided to try 5% and too my amazement it works just aswell,i apply it once a day usually before bed to the whole of my face and i have found that it does not dry my skin out like the 10% does.
Also i do not suffer with flaky skin any more.
IF i were you i would suggest that you try the 2.5% for a few weeks,then if you see no improvement upgrade to 5% for a further month or so and if all else fails give the 10% a shot.
I would also recomend using a good moisturizer about an hour after applying the 10%.
The brand i use is QUINODERM CREAM i have found this to be the best brand of BP so far and it,s really cheap.

Old 08-15-2003, 10:58 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User
i was an avid 10% user for years, afraid that 5% or 2.5% would no way no how be as effective. When I did switch, as an experiment, I found that 2.5% really is as effective, and far less irritating. I think 10% even if it doesn't make you dry overall, does cause some flakiness which is a big no-no. If your skin is flaky and brittle on the top layer, it can actually help clog pores, and trap the bad stuff in there. I always thought i had sensitive skin, but when i got off 10% and started using 2.5%, i realized my skin wasn't nearly as sensitive as I thought. I think Scouse's suggestion is a good one.

Closed Thread