It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2003, 04:46 AM   #1

Bubble Gum HB User
Post Help with ingrown hair becoming zits

Ok... I finally finished my treatment of Accutane and the zits on my cheeks aren't coming back. But a new problem has come forth, now whenever I shave I always get ingrown hairs on my chin and around my mouth. These ingrown hairs eventually turn white bumps that look like whitehead zits. The problem is I have to shave every other day because of my job. I was wondering do electric razors cause less ingrown hairs? Also I use a Mach 3 razor which has three blades on it, would using a razor with less blades help? Also does shaving along the grain instead of against help at all either, because I've tried against but it doesn't give a close shave at all and it still looks like I haven't shaved at all.

Dave

Old 08-15-2003, 06:10 AM   #2

JimC981 HB User
hey dave ... I know EXACTLY what your going through ... I have suffered with ingrown hairs / razor bumps that turn into zits when I shave 4 a long time ... I finally am starting to get it under control...

YES ... shaving with the hair instead of against it will cause less ingrown hairs and bumps ... but the thing is you don't get nearly as close of a shave when you do ... I use a mach 3 turbo as well and I just have to shave more often (like every other day) to keep looking smooth ... not a big price to pay if you don't want razor bumps

Also, try using aveeno theraputic shave gel if you don't already ... it is a great shaving gel that soothes my skin and doesn't sting or irritate which makes less bumps (for me anyway) ...

And finally, I have found that by using a gentle , exfoliating scrub every couple of days, it gets rid of the dead skin on my face and that in turn also causes less razor bumps ... I guess the dead skin blocks you from getting a closer shave and causes the ingrown hairs ... I'm not sure what the reason is but I know that now that I use my scrub (I use DDF Acne Pumice Scrub with 2.5 % Benzoyl Peroxide), I have less bumps and ingrown hairs ... not COMPLETELY gone, but these few simple steps have dramatically cut down the # of bumps and zits after I shave ... hope this helps some

[This message has been edited by JimC981 (edited 08-15-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2003, 12:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

scouselad1974 HB User
Hi,i have suffered with this problem for many many years,i have ingrown hairs and tiny red spots along with redness and a bit of flakyness.
I visited a derm last week and this was his advice.
Shave with the new WILKONSON SWORD FX RAZOR BLADE.
Use TRI-SHAVE SHAVING CREAM.
Use CLINIQUE SCRUFFING LOTION.
and if your skin gets red and inflamed try using EUMOVATE CREAM thats my own advice.
I used the wilkinson sword fx for the first time today and i was suprised at how good it was,it left me feeling very smooth and didn,t cause too many problems which is a miracle for me.
By the way my derm also told me to remove the ingrown hairs by prising them out of the skin with a sterile needle then removing with a pair of tweezers,usually straight after doing this the spot like lump dissapears.
Good Luck let me know how you get on because it,s a bugger of a problem for us blokes.

[This message has been edited by scouselad1974 (edited 08-15-2003).]

Closed Thread