It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2003, 03:14 PM   #1

curiousz HB User
Post What's the best method for unclogging pores?

When I look at my face, there's large areas that have no zits...just what looks like "puffy" pores, if that makes any sense...and if I take a microscope to my face I can see little tiny bumps in the right lighting, but are otherwise not seen by the naked eye.

When I touch my face, it feels smooth and non-bumpy, so is there a method to get rid of these slight, but rather irritating clogged pores (which is what I'm assuming they are).

Does anyone else have this problem?

Old 08-15-2003, 04:08 PM   #2

JimC981 HB User
I would say beta hydroxy acid (or salicylic acid) is the best way b/c it is oil soluble and it can penetrate and exfoliate inside the lining of your pores to help clear them up ... it may take a while if your pores are really clogged but stick with it ... try paula's choice 1 % beta hydroxy lotion ... works very well ... if that doesn't help you may need the 2 % beta hydroxy liquid which is double the strength ... hope this helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2003, 05:11 PM   #3

curiousz HB User
Is this a cleanser or like a moisturizer?

Old 08-15-2003, 05:43 PM   #4

JimC981 HB User
the 1 % BHA is in a light moisturizing base ... just enough for oily/combo skin .. the 2 % BHA is a clear, toner-like liquid that most people use a cotton ball to put on ..

In my opinion, any medicated cleanser is useles b/c you wash away the medication before it has a chance to do anything ... you should try using a gentle, non - soap pH balanced cleanser like purpose gentle cleanser or alpha hydrox foaming face wash

Old 08-15-2003, 05:45 PM   #5

curiousz HB User
I've tried Salycic acid before and I had pretty bad results with it, it used to make my skin greasy and made my pores more clogged.

Maybe I should give it another chance...

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 08-15-2003, 06:01 PM   #6

JimC981 HB User
I used to feel the same way about salicylic acid ... it did nothing for me but make me oily ... until I tried Paula's Choice products ... and BAM ! I saw the light !!! If you go back through the posts here, you will see alot of praise for Paula's Choice BHA ... it is the only salicylic acid product that has ever done what it is supposed to do .. uncolg pores .. SERIOUSLY

Old 08-15-2003, 06:36 PM   #7

curiousz HB User
Thanks Ill read more about it.

Is it sold at places like walgreens?

Old 08-15-2003, 07:11 PM   #8

curiousz HB User
JimC, heh, you seem to post a lot in the Paula's choice topics...I am still reading through a lot of the posts.

Does it also clear up acne? Was there any initial breakout with this? I'll continue to use BP, put I guess I should put in on after I apply the BH 1% lotion?

Also, how long does one bottle (only 4 oz...) last?

Old 08-15-2003, 07:21 PM   #9

JimC981 HB User
well, for me, it has cleared up some of my acne for sure .. but I still use bp some to help with stuff I already have ... yes, you apply bp after the 1 % BHA ... it absorbs and dries (the BHA) very quickly ... has a "matte" finish to it ... you only need a small amount to cover your face ... one bottle lasts me a month or so ... also, if you pop a zit (I know,I know we're not supposed to but who doesn't now and then, right?) it is excellent to put on after you do this .. when I do , I see a puddle of oil on top of my skin where the BHA has pulled the oil out ...
when you apply it, just wait a few mins. to let it dry and then put on your bp or moisturizer or whatever ...

by the way, PC products are an online only deal ... I'm sure you can find it fairly easily ... also, you can email their customer service and they will mail you free samples of any of her products

Old 08-15-2003, 07:27 PM   #10

curiousz HB User
Do you see better results with the 2% or 1%?

Old 08-15-2003, 08:26 PM   #11

JimC981 HB User
for me the 1 %

Old 08-15-2003, 08:40 PM   #12

curiousz HB User
Hmm...

I've heard that the 1% lotion contains some chemicals that clog pores (although only slightly).

Whereas the 2% solution is just that, a solution..

I'm thinking about going straight for the 2% solution.

Closed Thread