It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2003, 06:30 AM   #1

pinupvirgin HB User
Question accutane ???'s....

hi everyone- hope this humid Summer is not wreaking havoc with everyone's face- it sure is with mine! anyway- I don't know much about Accutane & have lots of ???. Why is it only reserved for serious cystic acne? Why shouldn't someone with moderate but persistent acne go on it? If all the drug "does" is dry up the oil glands, then what does it matter how many or what type of zits you have? And even if it does cause a bad initial breakout, wouldn't the person get those zits eventually anyhow? And also, theoretically, if it dries up oil glands, why does the initial breakout happen at all? not to mention the hormonal acne factor- if your acne is hormonal, will ACcutane even "work" on it? I just don't see why it's reserved for the severest cases, if it's such a "miracle drug". So is it causing the acne in the initial breakout by killing (or whatever it does) the oil glands, forcing the oil out? it seems like a pretty weird drug, yet so tempting! I don't really have bad cystic acne, just persistent, stubborn, most likely hormonal, acne. with a cyst or two thrown in for good measure! now to me, I seem like the ideal Accutane candidate. No???

Old 08-15-2003, 03:13 PM   #2
(female)

summer33ny HB User
Accutane can work for anyone. Even people with mild acne! When they say accutane is for severe cystic acne, it doesn't mean it won't work wonders for people with mild acne.

The reason Accutane isn't often prescribed to people with mild-moderate acne is because Accutane is considered a risky drug. The main risk being that it causes miscarriage or severe birth defects in pregnant women. You cannot get pregnant while on Accutane! And it needs to be monitored very carefully because it interferes with your cholestorol. Plus there are also a number of additional side effects and a possible weak link to suicide. It is riskier than most other acne treatments and this is why the doctors have decided to limit its use to only the most severe cases.

If you have mild-moderate acne your Doctor may choose not to prescribe it you, not because it won't help you, but because of the reasons I mentioned above. If doctors prescribed it to every person who walked in with acne, can you imagine how many babies with severe birth defects would be born? Many people are just flat out irresponsible and stupid.. which is why the Drs get very nervous about prescribign this drug unless it's absolutely necessary!

I have mild-moderate acne and have been on accutane for a month now. I am on 20mg which is the lowest dosage possible and although I still have a way to go before I am finished with accutane, I am very happy so far.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2003, 10:04 AM   #3

pinupvirgin HB User
look, I don't even WANT to go on accutane, it scares the hell out of me! I'm well aware of the risks & don't want to take them. And since I have a daughter who is breastfeeding now, pretty much any internal Rx is a big no. Not to mention the fact that I do not even have a derm. BUT- the majority of people on this board advise others to only take it for severe acne, & if you look at others experiences with the drug, you will see that the posters who take/took Accutane for excess oil, mild acne, etc. wound up with horrific initial breakouts which left them with scars & hyperpigmentation. So clearly it does not "work" just as well on mild acne as it does on cystic acne. And as far as the drug being "absolutely necessary", is it ever absolutely necassary? I don't think so. Was it necessary for you to go on it, seeing as your acne is mild/moderate? And who deems it necessary, the doctor or patient?

Old 08-16-2003, 10:35 AM   #4
(female)

summer33ny HB User
You stated you don't know much about accutane and asked if it could be used to treat mild-moderate acne. I got the impression you had mild acne and were curious to see if accutane might help you. Excuse me for trying to answer your question! I didn't realize that someone who wouldn't even consider accutane would post such a question. If you don't want a response, don't post. You're original post was from yesterday. Talk about mood swings! You must change your mind fast! Or have become an accutane expert within the past 24hrs.

Was it absolutely necessary I go on accutane??? No. But having acne since I was 8 yrs old which didn't respond to any other treatments, it felt necessary to me. And I am very happy with the results. I had very minor initial breakouts and have never heard of mild acne worsening. I gave you my knowledge and experience, if you did't want it, sorry.

Old 08-16-2003, 02:09 PM   #5

pinupvirgin HB User
I was asking theoretically, in general, using myself as an example. Not case specific. It's not that I didn't want a reply- you just didn't give me the info I was looking for, & it seemed like your tone was a little condescending to boot. but thanks for the words of your personal experience with the drug- good luck!

Old 08-17-2003, 08:02 AM   #6

Dom HB User
summer some people on this board r just...some times unappreaciative....

im on accutane...my final month...im 100% clear...with just some old red marks that need to fade...no side effects whatsoever other than dry lips.

Closed Thread