It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2003, 01:41 PM   #1
(male)

stotan12 HB User
Thumbs up Accutane: My Third Time

I'm about to start my third session of Accutane. To be quite honest, I love the stuff. Side effects will occur. I've experienced dry skin, chapped lips, and headaches. Also, I had thoughts of suicide both times while on it. However, it was undoubtedly worth it. In about a month, your skin clears up beautifully. It stays clear for about six months afterwards. More if you're lucky. If anyone has any questions on accutane, feel free to let me know. I know a lot abou it.

Old 08-13-2003, 02:40 PM   #2

Sparkle0036 HB User
ideally, you should only have to take accutane once. i finished a six month course 2 months ago, i'm relatively clear. do you use anything after you stop taking accutane? i just started retin a micro and clindamycin, hopefully it will keep my face from going back to the way it was and i will not have to go on accutane again. i don't know if you have tried this, but maybe it'll be worth it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2003, 05:45 PM   #3
(male)

Good Vibez HB User
i heard u have to take a blood test every month while on accutane?

Old 08-13-2003, 06:11 PM   #4
(female)

amb1 HB User
Yes, good old blood tests-- I had my last one yesterday! They're no sweat, don't worry!!

Old 08-13-2003, 09:58 PM   #5
(male)

stotan12 HB User
Talking

all true. Ideally you should only be on Accutane once. However, for severe acne, it may require more than one treatment. In my time between Accutane, I rotate between retin a, clindagel, and minocycline. None of them work. Also, yes to the blood test question. Once a month is required, two tubes of blood. It used to be much less strict, a test every other month. But more side effects have been found. It's worth it though.

Old 08-14-2003, 09:18 AM   #6

legalhottie23 HB User
Wink

Hi stotan12,

What dosage are you on?

Old 08-15-2003, 06:08 AM   #7

patienceandreward HB User
Dear stotan12,

I used Accutane 5 times before. For me, the results were fast (average of 2 weeks to be completely clear) and they lasted at least a year. When acne came back this year, I was scared to take it for the 6th time after doing research on Accutane.

I had always believed that Accutane was the only solution to perfect skin for me, because I had tried virtually all topical & oral medication given by many dermatologists. However this is what I learned in the last few months: you can still have flawless skin without accutane. I now have flawless skin (for 1.5 months) and I didn't use any oral medication. I just want to let you know this before you start Accutane. Pls. read my very recent post with the topic, 'Finally Beautiful Skin w/out oral medication'.

Old 08-15-2003, 07:17 AM   #8
(male)

stotan12 HB User
Wink

Right now, one pill alternating with two pills. I'm going to read your post now.

Old 08-15-2003, 01:32 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User
I've taken Accutane 3 times in the last 3 years. I always take it near November/December. I take it to about May/June. I'm clear for the summer, then come September/October, it ALL comes back. The 1st course I finished at 40mg/day. The 2nd course I finished at 80mg/day. The 3rd course I finshed at a whopping 120mg/day. It's weird cause regardless of what the dosage, the results are always the same. I expect a 4th course in a few months. I HATE MY ACNE!

Old 08-15-2003, 01:48 PM   #10

Hoxy HB User
Hey I also did 3 courses of Accutane, and I thought I was the only one! Everytime it would clear me up really well but the acne would come back after 6 monthes or so. This time I'm determined to try something else first. I've tried everything from antibiotics to proactive, and nothing had worked for me before. But after reading this board I've also discovered some of the other stuff that seems promising, like Paula's Choice. I'm keeping my fingers crosses....

Old 08-15-2003, 10:04 PM   #11

Hoxy HB User
Hey I also did 3 courses of Accutane, and I thought I was the only one! Everytime it would clear me up really well but the acne would come back after 6 monthes or so. This time I'm determined to try something else first. I've tried everything from antibiotics to proactive, and nothing had worked for me before. But after reading this board I've also discovered some of the other stuff that seems promising, like Paula's Choice. I'm keeping my fingers crosses....

Old 08-15-2003, 10:06 PM   #12

beans and rice HB User
Question

I was wondering, after you are done with your courses, and you know how usually everyone hear says in about usually 6 months the acne starts to eventually return, what are some ways to prevent the acne from coming back just incase before 6 months?...just wondering.

Old 08-15-2003, 11:18 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User
beansandrice, the question is, do you think acne can actually be prevented?? So you wanna stay clear after Accutane? If your acne was mild, and not very persistent, then a person can probably just use a facewash with known acne-fighting ingredients (ex. salicylic acid) to stay clear. If your acne was moderate, you may want to use proper facewash and add some acne-fighting creams&gels at night (ex. something containing benzoyl peroxide) and adjust diet. If your acne was severe and persistent, you may want to use proper facewash, use creams&gels, adjust diet and adding certain vitamins. So, to stay clear, it depends on how severe your acne is. If you are BOUND to have acne (genetics), then you can do all you want, but will probably still have SOME acne.

Old 08-16-2003, 03:39 PM   #14

beans and rice HB User
thanks andrew...i understand what your talking bout...I have mild acne, so I'll just think about going easy on my face when I'm done with my courses...and also I believe it is genetically too that I have it cuz my mom used to and still does sometimes get it = X

Old 08-16-2003, 06:31 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

lisa24 HB User
I have a question.
I'm on mino to keep me clear.
My dr metioned using accutane to stop my oiliness when I asked her if we could do something about it. My skin is not completely clear but just about.
I assume I will not take mino while on accutane, but will I go back to it afterwards? Will I need to, and should I just to prevent breakouts from happening?
And if I'm almost clear on mino, do you think maybe accutane will clear me for good (I mean forever). I know no one can know this, but if you can share you opinion, I would appreciate it. Thanks

Closed Thread