It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2003, 11:14 AM   #1

HollisterChick HB User
Smile -;- I'm New With A Couple Of Questions -;-

Hey people! I have a couple of questions... I was just wondering, on average, how long do you guys wash ur face? ive struggled with that for awhile... and also... ive used clindamycin phosphate LOTION for over a year and im happy with it... but i want to switch to Clindagel... the gel form... for certain reasons. i was wondering if anyone has done the switch and if so, was there any problems? if not, is anyone using Clindagel and how do u like it? thanks so much! God Bless.

Old 08-17-2003, 11:25 AM   #2

kehcorpz HB User
I got rid of my acne what seems like permanently. I used to wash my face twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. I realized that was a big mistake. Now i only wash my face once a day. I use nizoral shampoo on my face every other day, and use Apricot scrub exfoliating facial wash everyday. Plus i eat 100g of carbs max on workout days, 70g on non workout days (mostly from green veggies.) I also take saw palmetto everyday, it inhibits conversion of Testosterone to dihydrotestosterone(its more potent form), which can be responsible for breakouts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2003, 11:35 AM   #3

patienceandreward HB User
Based on what I have learned and my own experience, 2 times a day with a 'mild' cleanser is suitable for many people. Of course, there are exceptions.

I used benzamycin gel for a few years w/success & then switched to Clindagel w/out success. When I went back to benzamycin gel, it didn't work anymore. Luckily, I started to use Paula's 2.5 BP w/great success. 100% cleared for 1.5 months.

Old 08-17-2003, 05:41 PM   #4

Sparkle0036 HB User
i'm using clindagel to maintain a mostly clear face, it's been fine. i don't think you would have a problem switching from lotion to gel. i used to use the lotion, i much prefer the gel. hope this helps.

Old 08-17-2003, 06:22 PM   #5

whoopie HB User
I use a washcloth very lightly, yet thoroughly, with Eucerin face wash in the evening to make sure all makeup is completely removed and in the morning if my skin seems oiler than usual I wash very quick and lightly with the Eucerin with just my finger tips. If not too oily I just rinse with warm water.

Old 08-17-2003, 08:52 PM   #6

HollisterChick HB User
thanks so much guys!

Old 08-17-2003, 09:01 PM   #7

whoopie HB User
I should also add that my 15 year old son washes with Eucerin and puts Benzamycin Pak (erythromycin, benzoyle peroxide gel) on his face in the evening and this has cleared his acne. My acne had to be treated hormonally, but cleared beautifully.

Old 08-18-2003, 12:30 AM   #8

gogogrrl HB User
Question

whoopie:
how did yer doc clear up yer hormonal acne? bc pills?

Old 08-18-2003, 05:15 AM   #9

whoopie HB User
I saw the dermatologist for years, treatments ranging from glycolic peels, oral antibiotics, accutane, ect., all of which might have slightly improved from time to time but was always still considered pretty bad acne. After I had my second child is when the cystic acne began, (I never had acne before this). My dermatologist never brought up the fact that hormones were a possible problem. I, not having any idea that anything was wrong with my female organs procrastinated seeing my gynecologist for four years. When I did go in he discovered a 5cm cyst in my ovary. He gave me some birth control pills, (my tubes were previously tied), and told me to take them as directed and that if the cyst did not improve within the next three months he would be looking at the possibilty of removing the ovary. I got a second opinion from a gynecologist that was known for specializing in hormone treatment. He told me if I were to take the pills the other doctor gave me indeed the ovary would have to be removed. He put me on Loestrin birth control pill but told me to take them nonstop, every day for 6 months straight, go off a week, (sometimes I have a period, sometimes I dont), then start back up again. He said my ovaries were over working and that my periods needed to be stopped so they could rest. He said two periods a year were enough for me and that the ovaries were pumping out so much testosetrone and that was causing the cystic acne. WIthin four months of the treatment the cyst in my ovary was completely gone and the acne started improving immediately. Within one year my acne was completely gone. About a year lator I switched to Yasmine instead of Loestrin because of some nasuea, and it has worked just as well. If it werent for this treatment, I would still be suffering with the acne. Not even the accutane stopped it. I am so grateful for this doctor and will always be. I have no adverse reactions on this thearpy. I hope this story is able to help someone.

Old 08-18-2003, 05:34 AM   #10

pattiann38 HB User
I wanted to write this b4 but thought people would think I'm nutz but one of the above posts mentioned it so here goes. I'm 38 and am at the tail end of the worst bout ever. At it's height I had approx. 3 huge cysts between my eyes (my right eye actually was partially shut), about 7 cysts on chin and jawline, and I can't count the whiteheads around my mouth and just at my lips (those lip ones are VERY painful). I've tried the retin-A and birth con. (refused Accutane no matter what) in the past but this is what helped me the most....in the a.m. shower I lather my chin and forehead with Denorex (like Nizorel) shampoo/ cond. and let it sit until I can't take it anymore. Then Biore toner. At night a good wash with Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash, more toner, and then a thin coat of Clean N Clear Persa-Gel 5 over whitehead areas and I pile it on the cysts. For the swelling of cysts I add a bit of cortisone cream during the day. But I didn't start to see a BIG difference until I soaked with the Denorex...maybe the coal tar kills the bacteria or whatever...but it's been one week and what a difference! Today I actually look like me again.

Closed Thread