It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2003, 02:19 PM   #1

Forcefed4 HB User
Post Initial breakout using PC's BHA products?

Is it normal to experience a breakout period when using Paula's Choice BHA products? I started using her 1% and 2% BHA lotions earlier this week, and my face went downhill with several very large and painful lesions. Ouch. They are very red and painful, not what I was really hoping for :P

Anyone else ever have this happen and then things got better?

Kev

Old 08-16-2003, 02:35 PM   #2

patienceandreward HB User
Wink

yes, that happened to me. After 3 months of using her products, I now I have perfect skin. Pls. see my recent post, w/topic, 'Finally beautiful skin without oral medication'.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2003, 04:35 AM   #3

Forcefed4 HB User
It's so weird (and scary also)...I used her 2% lotion last night before bed, and when I woke up this morning, I glance in the mirror before washing.

I can't even explain what I saw...but there's like all this white "milia" like stuff coming out of EVERY pore on my face! My nose actually had a few of those hard white cores (plugs, I guess these would be blackheads?) that must have come out and were sitting on the surface of my nose. Ewwww.

This is normal? Is all this stuff sticking out of my face just clogged pores that are purging? I am serious when I say it's like my WHOLE face, even areas that I haven't broken out in a while.

It's very unnerving, and makes me question whether I should continue to use it. I have read your posts patienceandreward, and it gave me hope that buying her products might help me out. But I have just never seen anything like this before

Kev

Old 08-17-2003, 04:58 AM   #4

Frogjive HB User
I would recommend not using the lotions, but rather using the liquid solution. The lotions have extra ingredients in them that might make some people breakout.
I used the 2% lotion once and experienced irritation, but the 2% liquid solution has never caused any irritation and I use it nightly.
Hope this helps and this is just what I have experienced, everyone is different.
fg

Old 08-17-2003, 07:01 AM   #5

pinupvirgin HB User
Smile

not to be a buzzkill, but BHA gave me the worst cysts I've ever had. I stopped using it & switched to an AHA with much better results. I know everyone on this particualr board raves about BHA's (especially Paula's Choice), but if you look on other boards, you will see that quite a few people experience cysts from using BHA's. I'm not sure why- my best guess is that it's too much exfoliation, done too deep within the pores...or something! I get good results with AHA'a, & will never use BHA's again! Even salycilic acid face wash breaks me out!

Old 08-17-2003, 10:13 AM   #6

Dear Forcefed4,

I can completely understand how worried & frightened you are. I was too. I also started to get lots of whiteheads (some big, some small) at places where I didn't have or never had w.h. prior to using BHA. If what you are getting is in fact w.h. (to me, it sounds like w.h.), and your skin is not too dry, I would think that this may be temporary. If you suspect they are something else, like cysts, pls. let us know, for you may need to do something different. Also, if you skin is too dry, pls. go very slowly w/the BHA (i.e. use 1% not 2% and apply only once a day) & apply moisturizer. Pls. keep us updated on how you're doing.

Best wishes.

[This message has been edited by patienceandreward (edited 08-17-2003).]

Old 08-17-2003, 11:18 AM   #7
(female)

zusanna HB User
I received a sample about 5 or 6 days ago of Paula's Choice 2% BHA lotion. The first day or so it really cleared up my skin, but now the past couple of days my face has looked pretty bad. I'm not giving up though because I do still have faith in Paula' products. I'm going to order the 1% BHA lotion and the blemish fighting solution. Hopefully those 2 will help. I just think it's drawing all of the stuff out of my pores so my face can clear up. Hopefully that's what it's doing anyway. Let me know if it works for you.

Old 08-17-2003, 08:18 PM   #8
(female)

zusanna HB User
Thanks Patience! I'm glad you finally found a cure for your acne hopefully I'll find mine too.

Old 08-18-2003, 06:37 AM   #9

Forcefed4 HB User
I am sticking with the lotion, because my skin tends to be more on the dry/irritated side, and also because I want to use the 1% BHA (solution only comes in 2%). If I notice long term results with the 1% lotion, I might try the 2% solution in the future just to see how it works.

I am only using the 1% lotion at night, for about 8 hours of the total day. So far my cheeks look SO much better, and my forehead is starting to feel smooth again! Hoping it's from the BHA, I can't imagine what else it would be from.

I started using the BHA because a few weeks ago I noticed my face was feeling like sandpaper, lots of clogs and bumps. I could actually FEEL the buildup when washing my face, and soap/cleansers alone would not remove it. I used Neutrogena Clear Pore for 2 weeks, and have used Paula's Choice for only a week, but my skin no longer feels all grainy.

I will update as time goes on. I expect at least another 4 weeks before I can say how well this stuff really works.

Kev

PS In defense of the Paula's Choice BHA products, I was getting a few larger lesions BEFORE I even started using the salicylic acid. It's one of the reasons I started using it, and I should have expected getting a few more pimples in the process.

[This message has been edited by Forcefed4 (edited 08-18-2003).]

Old 08-19-2003, 03:19 AM   #10

Acnepain HB User
PinupVirgin,

Do you use the AHA from Paula's choice and if so which one? I live in Ireland so not sure where to get the Alpha Hydrox Acid 10% from?
I had a bad reaction from using the 1% BHA also, worked great the first week and then I got a fairly bad breakout so I have now stopped using it and have ordered the 2% BHA liquid solution so hopefully this will do the trick!

Old 08-19-2003, 05:01 AM   #11

Forcefed4 HB User
I am not trying to debate people's experiences with the 1% BHA lotion, but I don't think there is anything in the ingredient list which is questionable as a pore clogger (comedogenic). And most breakouts take a few weeks to develop, so of course it might take time to see noticeable results (most say 3 to 4 weeks, since that is the natural turnover cycle for skin cells).

The lotion is made specifically FOR clogged pores. I have used it for 8 nights in a row, and some parts of my face haven't look this good in YEARS! I am still getting some cores that purge over night, but they brush off in the morning, which is amazing. My skin was obviously more clogged than I even knew (though I felt how rough it was getting, which coincided with me breaking out). Since it's only been 8 nights, I won't completely praise the product yet. But I think I am understanding why I read SO many good reviews about this product before I bought it.

My skin tends to lean towards the 'dry and sensitive' side, so maybe that's why the lotion seems to work for me. I will post updates as days/weeks go by.

Kev

Old 08-19-2003, 10:30 AM   #12

Dear Forcefed4,

I'm so happy for you! I'm really happy that you're feeling that your skin is benefiting from BHA. Your patience and attitude is very commendable. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif

Old 08-19-2003, 10:44 AM   #13

Dear Acnepain,

I think you are going through what a lot of people go through when trying a new product. Pls. read my recent post w/the topic, Reasons why your acne is getting worse or has not improved.

Closed Thread