It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2007, 05:47 PM   #1
(male)

quamen HB User
fall/winter breakout period, is tanning bad for you and your skin?

Im a 25 year old male, and i suffer from seasonal acne. In the spring and summer i work outdoors in the sun most of the day. My acne is near to none, maybe a small pimple here or there, but for some reason the sun makes my completion really great. Now winter is coming, i don't spend time outdoors in the sun like i used to and my skin starts to go crazy. A Lot of acne and i don't know how to deal with it. i was thinking tanning, but im worried about the cancer and if it will make my acne worse? Or any other suggestions?

Old 11-07-2007, 07:46 PM   #2
(female)

MusicElle HB User
Re: fall/winter breakout period, is tanning bad for you and your skin?

although the sun may help your acne, it is very bad for your skin. Any tan is skin damage and skin cancer is a serious problem. Excessive sun exposure also leads to aged wrinkled skin. Tanning beds are no safer than natural sunlight, If you work outside alot then you should really wear sunscreen with and spf of at least 30. So to answer your question no tanning is not a good idea and you are correct to worry about cancer. My suggestion would be to try some over the counter acne products first if your don't get results then go to a dermatoligist. As far as over the counter acne products go I like just a gentle face wash and glycolic acid toner was the only over the counter med that did anything for my skin, it's good for small pimples but if you have cystic acne forget over the counter and go to the derm, honestly the only thing that clears my cysts are birth control pills but thats not an option for men.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2007, 11:41 PM   #3
(female)

hh7027 HB User

What's cystic acne ?

Old 11-08-2007, 06:34 AM   #4
(male)

quamen HB User

thanks for the reply and cystic acne is a type of acne that results usually in large hard pimples. It is heard to explain, but they are not your regular small acne issues. I used to suffer from these and i found out that straight dairy was one of the issues causing it. Large as in a small golf ball size, almost as a tumor on your face.They usually don't come to a head, and need some type of cortisone injection to get them to go down.

Also i will take your advice and start wearing sun protection. I love being in the sun, and should start taking precautions about it. In the summer i usually do not apply sunscreen,but this year i will. I realize being in the sun 10 or more hours per day, can lead to some serious issues down the road.
Thanks

I guess ill just have to deal with this winter cycle of acne, and also i hate being so pale!!

Closed Thread