It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2003, 09:32 AM   #1

penguin chick HB User
Post so has any birth control pill worked?!

I'm finishing up the third week on ortho-tricyclen. Not sexually active, main reason taking the pill to clear up my skin. I'm also close to my 6th week on retin-a (generic) and still have some painful cysts on my forehead. Because I'm combining retin-a and ortho-tricyclen I can't tell if either one is actually making my skind WORSE.

Anyway, has any birth control pill actually WORKED for any of you? I know about women that were clear and went on ortho-tricyclen and developed acne. BUT for those of you that started it with moderate acne, or ANY pill any success stories? How long did it take?

Please get back to me, I'll feel completely ridiculous if I'm taking a pill to do one thing and it's doing the complete opposite.

Old 08-13-2003, 10:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User
I personally havn't been on any but my friend is currently on Yasmin and it cleared her up. I have heard ALOT of success stories w/ Yasmin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2003, 10:46 AM   #3

mudpixie HB User
I'm on Yasmin right now, have been for about a month and a half, and so far so good. I'm not 100% clear yet, but I have no more big pimples or cysts or anything. And I'm supposed to give it 3 months anyway. I find that I can eat foods now that used to make me breakout and still be reasonably clear.

I've heard a lot of bad stuff about OTC- but I know it's done wonders for some women, I've just heard more success w/ Yasmin than OTC.

Your skin may not like the Retin-A (I know mine HATED that stuff, I looked like a dried tomato). But as for the new cysts, you said you're only on the 3rd week so your body could be adjusting to the hormonal switch. I had bad breakouts on Yasmin the first 2 weeks but they subsided. If you feel comfortable on OTC and don't have any other bad side effects, I'd say stick w/ it. If it ends up making things worse, I'd definitely recommend Yasmin. Good luck.

Old 08-13-2003, 12:05 PM   #4

Brownsugar HB User
I had been using Diane-35 succesfully for several years. When it lost its effectiveness I tried Ortho-tri-cylen for one cycle. I broke out even more. I do'nt know whether I should have let my body adjust to it but I did not want to take the chance, knowing that Diane-35 had worked right away..ie. when it did work.

Everyone's body responds differently to hormone pills.
I read hear that ortho- worked wonders for some people.

Old 08-13-2003, 12:23 PM   #5

Frogjive HB User
I have been on Yasmin for about 3 months now and it has cleared my face very nicely. I am dealing with the red marks now which I am using the generic version of Retin-A for. I still get a few little pimples every once in awhile but I keep hearing that you have to wait 6 months for total results.
I did have a not so pretty initial breakout from Yasmin, though, but every since then all is going well.

Old 08-13-2003, 01:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User
Ortho Tricyclin worked for me but after 5 months of use ... I saw improvement in my skin. I recently stopped b/c and have experienced another outbreak specifically on my chin and forehead... I hate acne

Old 08-13-2003, 01:41 PM   #7

Beams222 HB User
The first month I started Ortho Tri Cyclen I could see a huge difference! Then, a while back, my prescription ran out and I couldn't get a doctor's appointment for a month and so I had to go a month without it. My face broke out so bad without the pills. I do break out some with OTC but not nearly as much as I did before.

Old 08-13-2003, 01:56 PM   #8

penguin chick HB User
yuly...

did you have moderate acne before the pill?

when you say first month, when during that month did you see the actual results?

are you using anything else?

Old 08-13-2003, 08:01 PM   #9

penguin chick HB User
bump

Old 08-13-2003, 08:05 PM   #10
Veteran

linnybee428 HB User
Yasmin has made me go from about 4 cysts and a few smaller zits on my chin at on time to a few small zits a month. And it has made me FAT.

Old 08-13-2003, 10:08 PM   #11
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Lightbulb

OTC did not improve my skin at all.

Yasmin cleared my skin totally in 4 months! But it also made me gain weight...so...

I switched to OTC-Lo, and my face is still clear! And none of that weight gain!

But remember that different pills work totally differently for different women. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/idea.gif

Old 08-14-2003, 12:29 AM   #12

gogogrrl HB User
i think my body chemistry has a way of changing itself throughout the course of BC pills...for example, i was on mircette and all was good- good skin, no breakthough bleeding, and then all of the sudden, i was bleeding almostg every other week....switched to OTC and again, good then bleeding and bad skin...i'm not on any BC pills now and want to try Spiro and/or Yasmine

Old 08-14-2003, 12:35 AM   #13

penguin chick HB User
I'm going to go ahead and stay on ortho tri-cyclen for another 2 months for a total of 3 months. If after the 3 months there is no progress whatsoever on my skin I'll switch to Yasmin or Dianne-35, heard wonderful things about both.

From the first time I took retin-a I understood that anything worth it takes time, so giving 3 months to Ortho Tri-cyclen may be worth it after all.

Thanks for the replies, keep 'em coming!

Old 08-14-2003, 05:49 AM   #14
Inactive

PAmermaids HB User
I was on ortho-tricyclen for over a year, it seemed to work well for me, I was accually on it as birth control, having clearer skin was nice too tho!! but i think different pills definately work different in each person. So it's hard to say if it works for one, what will it do for another??? I dunno, but good luck with whatever ya use

Old 08-14-2003, 02:19 PM   #15

Beams222 HB User
When I was 19 my skin had finally cleared up and life was good. Then, I spent the summer in Costa Rica and a week after I came home, I woke up one morning and had both cheeks full of big, red, painful zits. They were huge! I was so upset and I immediately made an appointment to go to the dermatologist. She put me on Retin-A and antibiotics. The worst part was, my friends from Chile were coming to visit and we were planning to go to the beach and a lot of other places. Did I mention that these friends are all gorgeous and have perflect complexions? All I wanted to do was cry and not leave the house, but I had no choice? I was so mortified! So, I spent the next year on Retin-A and antiobiotics. BIG MISTAKE!!! They helped a little, but not too much. They did help me get a lot of extra zits, scars, and discoloration and a bright red face Anyway, my derm agreed to let me go on Accutane. So, a month before, I started Ortho Tri Cyclen and my face cleared up during that same month. (My acne is mostly hormonal) Then, I started accutane and my face stayed clear. After using accutane for a month, I had to discontinue it because it gave me a swollen brain and so I decided that it wasn't worth it. After I quit using accutane, my face exploded once again. It was worse than before. After about 5-6 months I got my face under control. I stopped using Retin-A and just used BC and OTC things from the drug store. My face still breaks out once a month, but only with one or two zits. Before I had 4-5 big zits on each cheek (sometimes more) all the time. Also, that month when I didn't use OTC my face got really bad again like before, so I knew for sure that it did help my skin. I haven't had any problems with it at all.

I think the effectiveness of BC depends on the type you use your body. I know some people who are on BC and it breaks them out really bad. It helps me though. If you think your acne may be hormone related, then just try it and see. I also started using Evening Primrose Oil and Chaste Tree Berry extract (also called Vitex) two weeks ago. I heard these two things help with hormonal acne. I'll keep you all updated on how it works.

Closed Thread