It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2003, 06:18 AM   #1

Forcefed4 HB User
Post Question about the "Acne Cure" method.

I am really happy for those finding success using Dr. Dubrow's Acne Cure method. I definitely see how using the combo of products (AHA, BHA, and BP) can help some people.

But, what I don't understand is, how can using a BHA product for 2 minutes (facial wash), then the AHA for 2 minutes (lotion that is rinsed off) can really benefit at all? I thought AHA and BHA products need to be on the skin longer to actually help exfoliate?

Anyone here specifically using this new method, please do chime in. I, for one, can not slather BP all over my face in the evening, my skin would have none of that. :P

Kev

[This message has been edited by Forcefed4 (edited 08-19-2003).]

Old 08-19-2003, 06:58 AM   #2

JimC981 HB User
I understand and agree with you, kev ... I have never read the acne cure book, I just came up with my own method of aha, bha, and bp from doing a little searching and trying out diff. products ... it took a little while but I think I'm finally getting the hang of it ...

I do agree that aha and bha only work in forms that stay on your face ... it makes perfect sense to me that anything in a wash or lotion you wipe off doesn't have any time to work properly ... same with bp ... again, same with me ... I can't put bp all over my face at night either .. or in the day for that matter .. it's just too harsh ... I spot treat certain areas of my face that need the bp only when they need it ... I'm actually slowly using less and less of it ... it's great for fading the stuff I already have on my face ... but not all over ...

I'm using paula's choice 2 % solution during the day as my bha ... I finally realized if you wait a while ... it WILL dry on your face and you may feel a little "oily" but it's a good "oily" and I know it's not clogging my pores ... the end result is great once you get in the routine of it ... and I use my Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion for Sensitive Skin at night before bed ... I've tried all other aha's but
I just keep coming back 2 this b/c I LOVE the way my skin feels and looks when I wake up.. soft and smooth and glowing and boy does it ever fade my redmarks for sure !

I know everyone is so different when it comes to the aha,bha,bp combo deal... it may not work for some ... but for me , in my own way, it does I like what I see in the mirror for the first time in a while and it feels good

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2003, 07:03 AM   #3

JimC981 HB User
by the way, when it comes to the face wash deal, I just know it has to be gentle, oil free, and water soluble... no medication in it ... there's so many diff. ones to use ... I have just started with clean and clear foaming facewash for sensitive skin , which does have fragrance, but it is the same formula as purpose gentle cleansing wash

Old 08-19-2003, 09:56 AM   #4

JimC981 HB User
guess all that probably hurt more than it helped, huh ???

Old 08-19-2003, 10:10 AM   #5

Forcefed4 HB User
Hey Jim. Glad someone understands my question...I am not DOUBTING the system, since it's worked for a lot of people. But it just contradicts all of what the experts have said before (that using AHA or BHA in short term like in a cleanser is a huge waste of time).

I also have the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Lotion for Sensitive Skin. I am trying to work a routine of using this AND Paula's Choice 1% BHA lotion. I don't like using anything on my face during the day, so I am thinking of alternating nights using both of them. Think this might work out well?

I usually only wash with a cleanser in the morning, then rinse my face at night real well. My skin gets tight and dry if I use a cleanser too often.

Kev

Old 08-19-2003, 11:16 AM   #6

patienceandreward HB User
I completely agree w/all the comments that JimC981 has made. I also experienced w/the Acne Cure method and found the method that works best for me. I don't rinse off the BHA in the morning. Thus, I don't use AHA in the morning. I only use BP at spots sparingly. For p.m., I rinse off BHA after 10min. Then, I use AHA. No BP.

Old 08-19-2003, 11:20 AM   #7

Dear Forcefed4,

You mentioned that you only wash your face in the a.m. Does that mean you don't use any cleanser in the p.m.? If that's the case, if I were you, I would definitely find myself a non-drying cleanser to use in the p.m. It's very very important that your skin is very clean before you sleep, esp. when you are putting products (i.e. BHA) on your skin. If you have problem w/finding cleanser or moisturizer, pls. do some research on this board to see what has worked for others.

Old 08-19-2003, 02:20 PM   #8

Forcefed4 HB User
Thanks for the concern, but I will monitor my skin and see how it goes. I have tried about 50 different cleansers over the last 2 years, and one thing I noticed was when I washed TOO much, my face goes downhill fast. I don't have super oily/dirty teenager skin, and I don't work where I sweat all day.

My acne was at it's worst when I first baraged it with cleansers 2 years ago. Before that, I was typical guy...only washed when I was in the shower (once a day), and I never had an acne problem.

If it seems like twice a day will help, I will change my method :P

Kev

Old 08-19-2003, 02:35 PM   #9

Wink

Dear Forcefed4,

If you are trying to find a cleanser and haven't tried Neutrogena Gentle Foaming Cleanser, I recommend it for trial. My mom has been using it for a few years, and she has dry skin. She likes it a lot. I've been using it for 5+ years and really like it as well. I have introduced it to 4 friends, and they all like it.

[This message has been edited by patienceandreward (edited 08-19-2003).]

Closed Thread