It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2003, 08:34 AM   #1
(male)

thebigad HB User
Post Any LOW DOSE Accutane Users? Ceven?

Hey Ceven -- and any other low dose accutane users. I'm talking about people who take 10mg to 20mg a day to keep oil at bay and control persistent acne on a long-term basis.

How long before you see acceptable results?

When will the initial breakout stop?

I took accutane at 80mg for 5 months last year. After four months my acne came back. So, I talked to my derm and for 31 days now, I'm on 20mg/day. I didn't expect to get an initial breakout at this dose - but I got one! and it sucks!

So, I want to know, when should I expect the breakout to stop. When will I see good improvement?

I have superficial acne, no cysts. I get small pustules and papules.

Someone in the same boat -- please respond!!!!

Ceven -- respond!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2003, 01:30 PM   #2
(male)

thebigad HB User
bumps on my face...so bump this post

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2003, 07:24 AM   #3
Veteran

laur HB User
I took accutane for a 5 month course in 1999. I was on 40 mg per day. I did not clear while on treatment although it did seem better. One week after treatment ended it was back just as bad. I tried many things to no avail for about 6 months so I was put back on 40mg per day accutane approx 4 to 5 days per week. I have been on since, only I have decreased the amount of days per week to only 2 and will keep trying to get off completely. I used the accutane for acne as well as skin rashes from lupus and it has never cleared me completely.

L

Old 05-17-2003, 07:45 PM   #4

acnesucks HB User
I've taken accutane 4 times over the last 8 years. My derm will not try an Accutane high dose regimen again so he put me on 40MG two days per week (Monday and Thursday)to be used over a long time (forever I guess?).

I just started this week so I have no idea what to expect.

My derm assured me that Accutane works at any dosage and the primary reason for the high dose regimens is to hopefully eliminate the acne completely. Since this obviously doesn't work for me (the last time I think I was up to 80MG a day at the peak of the cycle) I'm trying this avenue.

I have no problem taking accutane for the rest of my life as long as this low dose still works as well as the large doses. Anyone else in this boat?

Old 05-18-2003, 01:08 AM   #5

Nellifer HB User
I started accutane for the first time a few months ago. Started at 40 mg (I weigh 130lbs)...and had irritating side effects. Horrible head ache from the day I took the first pill to the day I stopped taking the pills.

My dermatologist took me off of them, and we decided to start at a really low dosage to see if my body would tolerate the accutane at all. He said you can often 'work your way up', as your body will get used to the medicine and often the side effects will go away.

So, I started on 10 mg for a month, and now I'm about a week away from the end of my 20 mg month. I should be trying the 40 mg pills next week.

Anyways....my skin was broken out the first few weeks and has calmed down a bit since then. My dermatologist (and me!) has noticed improvement in my skin since the end of the 10 mg month. Even he said "isn't it amazing how even a low dose works so well?".

So yeah....the low dosage for me is just so that I can take it at all. But it does help.

Old 05-18-2003, 06:32 PM   #6
(male)

thebigad HB User
after 7 weeks...

still getting zits...skin's drier...zits mainly on temples...one on forehead...and a couple on the cheeks...hate it...

side effects...rash on elbows...gone now...eye's dry...need lubricating eye drops...

get depressed at times...don't wanna look at my face in the mirror cuz i can't stand to see another zit coming up...

i read ceven's journal...and hope i quit getting zits soon...sigh

Old 05-31-2003, 12:19 PM   #7

acnesucks HB User
thebigad,

what's the update on your acne status? Is the low-dose working?

Old 06-01-2003, 01:28 AM   #8
Inactive

ceven HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by thebigad:
Hey Ceven -- and any other low dose accutane users. I'm talking about people who take 10mg to 20mg a day to keep oil at bay and control persistent acne on a long-term basis.

How long before you see acceptable results?

When will the initial breakout stop?

I took accutane at 80mg for 5 months last year. After four months my acne came back. So, I talked to my derm and for 31 days now, I'm on 20mg/day. I didn't expect to get an initial breakout at this dose - but I got one! and it sucks!

So, I want to know, when should I expect the breakout to stop. When will I see good improvement?

I have superficial acne, no cysts. I get small pustules and papules.

Someone in the same boat -- please respond!!!!

Ceven -- respond!
hey the bigbad, sorry for the late reply, i have jsut seen this post.

the second time around 10mg per day, it toom me around 2 months before no major zits formed. To this day I still get a few very very small bumps, but the derm would lauff at me if i went to them to ask for accutane

now 5-6 months into it, my face is going GREAT, though i am running out of accutane, its hard to buy accutane in australia from overseas..

dont worry bigbad... one u clear from ure second treatment... then just take 10mg per day from then on or even less.. and u will be fine.

------------------
My Signature

March.02 - July 2002:- 40mg Accutane

13 Dec 02 - Current :- Started 10mg Accutane per day bought off internet privately and i am 95% clear... just red marks to fade.. no more breakouts. i may get just a small red bump every now and then

Old 06-23-2003, 11:20 AM   #9
(male)

thebigad HB User
Hey...here's an update...obviously haven't felt the need to come by here for a while because I'VE BEEN ZIT FREE!!

I've been zit free right around the 9-week mark...after about 10 weeks...i went down to 20mg every other day...and i've been doing that for a couple weeks now...

the only two problems i have...and i'm pretty sure they are related to accutane -- my eyes get very dry...even at this low dosage...and second...ever since i started accutane...i get these really bad headaches in the back of my head...i get them every few days...i'm hoping this lower dosage will help...if not...i may have to stop or go lower...because i don't want to damage my body any further...i hate those headaches...wish i knew a way to stop them...

Old 08-20-2003, 01:11 PM   #10
(male)

thebigad HB User
bad news and good news...

bad news...i have had to stop my current regimen of 40mg/week....while i have been zit free...i have had this neck/shoulder pain that won't go away. it might be a musculo-skeleton problem....anyway...they found mild arthritis in my cervical bones...accutane causes arthritis...so to preserve my health...i have decided to risk a clear face and stop accutane...

good news is that i'm off of accutane...i don't like taking medicine...and so this is good.

a small zit has already formed as we speak...i'm hoping my salycilic acid gel will help...if not...i might go get a benzoyl peroxide prescription and apply at night...i don't know.

maybe i'll be ok this time around....i'm gonna pray that my face doesn't break out....help god...please help.

Old 07-07-2004, 11:34 AM   #11
(male)

thebigad HB User
Cool Back at it.

Wow! I haven't been here in a while. Unfortunately, I'm back.

So, if you read below, you'll see that I did a full course of accutane. Had 4 months of great skin. Then it returned. So, I went on a low dose treatment for a few months. This kept me clear for several months -- about 6 months. For the past 3-4 months, however, my skin has started breaking out again. It does not break out really bad, but I get tiny pustules and papules every few days. My face is also oily. The red marks are starting to collect and making me look bad again.

So....

I looked in my drawer and found some left over accutane. I plan on going back on my low dose program. 40 mg per week and then go down as needed. I'll probably buy refills online.

Anyone else doing a low dose program with good results? I know I'll see good results...I'll have to be patient with a low dose.

Closed Thread