It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2003, 08:14 PM   #1

lucky2289 HB User
Unhappy New To Board - Adult Female Cystic Acne

Hello! I have been reading over this enitire board for days and I am so happy I found this site! My little trusty pad of paper is full of information I have been finding here! However - that is exactly my problem - there is a wealth of informaion and I am overwhelmed. I know that may work for one, might not work for another BUT...if anyone could give me some tips on what you have found to be the overall best treatments on this board, I would appreciate it! I am 32 - never had acne until I got the Norplant birth control 10 years ago. I had it removed from my arm because the side effects were so horrible - and BAM - I have had cystic acne ever since. I would say it is moderate but enough that it has really been a BIG issue for me for a long time. Right now I have big fat one right in the middle of my cheek that hurts and is red but just REFUSES to form a head. I just washed my face with Purpose liquid cleanser, moisturized with Pond's, and put neosporin on the cyst. I like not doing too much t my skin and keeping things as simple as possible. I have tried Retin-A, Minocycline, ProActiv, and every OTC ever made...to no avail. I still get cysts. I have currently just started taking the B5 and am trying Dan's Regimen (BP 2.5% in large amounts massaged into the skin)...although I didn't do the BP tonight bcause my face is so dry I decided to give it a break. Thanks in advance for all your tips, tricks, info, and help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2003, 08:57 PM   #2

gwle HB User
I used to suffer from severe cystic acne, all over my cheeks, temples, and jawline. The one thing that really worked for me was accutane. Yes, my oily skin has come back but not as bad a before. And I still get pimples, I can count 7 big ones scattered on my face. Again, not as bad as before. It's been a year since I finished accutane. As with everything else, accutane may work for you and it may not. It's indiviual. Hope this helps.

Old 08-19-2003, 10:13 PM   #3

whoopie HB User
Lucky, If you go the the search on this website and type in whoopie and put the green dot on exact name search you can read through the different entries of my experience and what has worked for me. Look for my name under each entry, read all of them and I am hopeful you might find something that can be helpful for you. I suffered adult acne many years and was lucky enough to figure it out and clear it up. My acne is completely gone. Please do read on and good luck.

Old 08-19-2003, 10:18 PM   #4

whoopie HB User
Lucky, It would be easiest for you to start under the heading my acne cure and smoothbeam results and then poke around after that if any of it is helpful or of interest to you.

Old 08-19-2003, 11:48 PM   #5
(female)

el_9_el HB User
heya lucky,
I too, used not to have much of an acne problem until early this year when kabam, my face errupted (I'm almost 20)! For me it wasn't triggered by anything that i can pinpoint but my periods have stopped since this mess began, so it's definitely hormonal.
It sounds like yours is hormonal also because it began when you played with your hormones via the birth control.
Anyhow, I would REALLY recommend Spironolactone. It has really helped me and results were almost immediate.
Good luck with whatever you choose to try!

Old 08-20-2003, 04:32 AM   #6

pattiann38 HB User
I would definitely stop using Ponds. Their stuff makes me really break out. It's good moisturizer, just talk about the whiteheads when I would wake up. I am 38 and this has been very discouraging so I know how you feel.

Old 08-20-2003, 05:41 AM   #7

Pandabaire3 HB User
They've found that most adults with acne are deficiant in Zinc in their bodies and in B vitamins.

I was on oral meds for over a decade - had acne since the age of 14 (I'm 33 currently) and suffered from the really bad mosquitoe bite type of cystic acne.

I take a prescription vitamin called Niafol. This was my last resort before going to accutane. It's a combination of Nicotinamide (B vitamins), Folic Acid, and Zinc in the proper amounts that you need. I take 2 tablets a day and my face is profoundly better than it ever was while on oral meds. The cystic acne is gone, my face isn't red and flushed anymore, my pores shrank...it just really was a blessing.

The only other things I use besides this vitamin are Differin gel and Benzaclin gel together topically at night before bed. I use Cetaphil bar soap to clean and only wash with cold water.

Old 08-20-2003, 06:06 AM   #8

lucky2289 HB User
Thank-you for all the replies! I have a question?? I have been doing a lot of research on this board on the effects of B5 and the results are somewhat confusing... Some say it is not helpful at all for cystic acne and was never meant to be, but some say it was a great cure?? I will try just about anything and taking the B5, even in large doses, doesn't bother me at all. I just don't want to bother if it is probably not even going to work anyway. I have NO whiteheads...all I get is cysts along my jawline and lower cheeks. Last night I put Queen Helene's on the nice big fat one currently one my cheek and it is irritating and itching the @#$@% out of me...so maybe it is finally doing somehting. I can't get Accutane until march of 2004 (a whole pre-existing/new insurance thing) so in the meantime my Derm. has given me enough Minocylcine to get me through until then. I am hoping that in the 7 months I have until then I might be able to find something that keep my cysts under control and don't have to do the accutane. Also, I don't know if I am allowed to ask this...but anyone ever ordered their meds through one of those overseas phamarcies that you don't need a RX. If so, could you recommend a reputable one? Thanks again!

Old 08-20-2003, 09:18 AM   #9

Product_Queen HB User
Hey Panda,

I am interested in learning more about Niafol...How did you get it?? I also feel that there is a strong correlation between my acne and the amount of B Vitamin intake....I was taking high potency Vitamin B but it used to make me vomit but it did wonders for my skin...Hope I can find a combination that won't be so hard on my stomach...Thanks...

Old 08-20-2003, 06:03 PM   #10

Sparkle0036 HB User
lucky, are you taking birth control pills right now? since your acne started when you came off a method of birth control, i would try taking a pill. ortho tri cyclen maybe? just an idea.

Old 08-20-2003, 08:34 PM   #11
Veteran

linnybee428 HB User
El 9 el,
Have you seen the doctor about your condition? Skipped periods and adult acne are main symptoms of PCOS and yes spiro is one of the treatments for it, but it probably is best to see your doc. Goodluck.

Old 08-21-2003, 02:53 AM   #12
(female)

el_9_el HB User
hey linnybee,
I'm looking into PCOS at the moment. My first endo discounted it because I'm not overweight...but the endo i'm seeing now suspected it and so ordered an ultra-sound of my ovaries...and they are polycystic. I'm not waiting to see my endo again to see what she thinks I should do...

Old 08-21-2003, 04:44 AM   #13

Pandabaire3 HB User
Product Queen,

Niafol is only available by your doctor because it's a prescription vitamin. The Nicotinamide isn't sold over the counter and this is why. You can just ask your derm or doctor about it and for a prescription.

This vitamin was formulated for acne suffers - so I'm always amazed at the people on here who are trying to self medicate by buying zinc and b vitamins on their own and *****istering doses that they have no idea will be harmfull to them or not.

My insurance covers my Niafol prescription so I only pay $10 a bottle. Without insurance it's about $25 a bottle. I'm sure that people buying seperate zinc and b vitamins and folic acid suppliments pay way more than I do for my already measured doses.

Old 08-21-2003, 09:44 AM   #14

Product_Queen HB User
Hey Panda,

Thanks so much for the info...I will look into it...Did u get 100% clearance with the Niafol??? And how long did u take it before u started seeing a significant improvement?? Any drug interactions??Thanks...

Old 08-21-2003, 09:44 AM   #15

Product_Queen HB User
Hey Panda,

Thanks so much for the info...I will look into it...Did u get 100% clearance with the Niafol??? And how long did u take it before u started seeing a significant improvement?? Any drug interactions??Thanks...

Closed Thread