It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

tiredpoet HB User
Spironolactone for acne and facial hair?

I've been reading around this forum for a while and I hope some of you migth help me:

I started breaking out at age 10 (yes, 10!!) and never stopped. I'm 33 now. I've tried it all, from antibiotics to accutane (twice), every prescription topical option around, fish oil, diet, etc. I am currently using a benzaclin topical treatment twice a day, and my skin is okay, but still not clear and I still break out, particularly around my chin. Lately my neck and back have been breaking out like crazy, and they are usually generally clear. (nothing's changed in my life or routine, so I can't figure this out).

Anyway, I've always concentrated so much on the acne that I never really asked any doctor about my other embarassing skin problem: I'm blonde with fair skin. I have a TON of blonde facial hair that looks terrible, especially in direct sunlight, and I get course dark hairs all over my chin. I pluck them or use that simple touch hair trimmer thing, but to honest, I'm quite tired of my skin, particularly my face, taking up so much of my precious time! I mentioned it to my pc once recently and her explanation was that I am "getting older." But I've had this problem since the acne started!
I've asked to have my hormone levels tested, but my doctor (long story) always said it's unnecessary. I had a full endo workup a few years ago and all that was fine.

My question is this: I've been reading about this spironolactone and I really think it's something I should try. I'm not sure if I will have better luck asking a dermatologist for it or going to my pc, or maybe even my gyn. Any suggestions? In almost 20 years no dermatologist has ever so much as mentioned this drug to me.

Also, for anyone who's used it, does spiro really help excess facial hair? Does it slow down growth, or stop it?

I would be so grateful for any insight from anyone! Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2007, 09:54 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

tiggerbuddy HB User
Re: Spironolactone for acne and facial hair?

you should check out the hormonal acne board on a different website (sorry, I think the rules here prohibit me from stating the name of the website)...lots of helpful posts about spiro though! Spiro is my wonder drug. it's the only thing that REALLY cured my acne and also minimized my facial hair. I definitely recommend seeing an endocrinologist, as they seem to be the most familiar with spiro since they specialize in hormones. good luck!

Last edited by tiggerbuddy; 12-14-2007 at 08:40 PM.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:17 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

tiredpoet HB User

Thank you!!!!!!!! I will check that out.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:54 AM   #4
(female)

tigereye1983 HB User

Hi,

My acne problems seemed similar to yours. While I'm cautious about messing with hormones as there are just as many downsides, my acne cleared up miraculously when I started using Yaz birth control, which has Spironolactone in it. I saw results almost immediately. They recommend Yaz for women who have too much testosterone--which can manifest in acne and facial hair. Of course, hormonal birth control can have tons of side effects, so you have to weigh the positives. Hope this helps!

Old 12-10-2007, 09:53 PM   #5
(female)

kesae HB User

Drink spearmint tea while you wait for a prescription. My face has become less oily since I started drinking it but the taste isn't that great.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:00 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

tiredpoet HB User

Really? I just read spearmint tea also helps with hirsuitism (sp?) or excess hair growth. How much do you drink daily?

Old 12-11-2007, 03:48 PM   #7
(female)

kesae HB User

I drink around 2-3 cups.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:27 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

I've heard that about Spearmint tea as well, but I can't stand the taste. Does anyone know if other forms of spearmint are beneficial for hirsutism, or is it just the tea? Thanks!

Old 12-12-2007, 05:47 PM   #9
(female)

kesae HB User

When I started drinking it, I had quicker results than when I was taking saw palmetto. And I don't even drink full spearmint b/c the one I found at the store was Celestial Seasonings Mint Magic which is a mix of peppermint an spearmint. Next I will buy 100% spearmint tea and see if I get better results.

Last edited by kesae; 12-12-2007 at 05:57 PM.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:56 PM   #10
(female)

jen955 HB User

I have the same problem as you except my acne didn't start til i was about 25 (35 now) and I also have hairloss on my head. I drive myself crazy trying to figure myself out. I went to the dermatoligist last month and got my hormones tested, he thought I would be high on testosterone and other androgens but I wasn't, infact I was on the low side. He said I must just be very sensitive to them. I wanted to try spiro but he wanted me to try rogaine first for 3 months and then the spiro. I haven't dared try the rogaine because I have read that it can have a side effct (although rare) of causing facial hair, which I all ready have- the blonde on my lower cheeks and upper lip and then the few dark ones on my chin. The acne is all over my chin and around my mouth and I get the cysitc ones so each one I get (twice a month, when I ovulate and before I start) leaves a red scar. It is very frustrating.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:12 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

tiredpoet HB User

In the last few weeks I have been breaking out worse than I have in years. All I can think is maybe it's adderall, since I've now been on it about six months and I think maybe it's making me sweat more, and thus more sweat and oil = more acne.

I have a brand new dermatologist appt on Thurs and I'm going to ask if I can get my hormones tested. My fear is that he will refer me instead to an endo or my primary. The last thing I need is to see more doctors. I have been shuffled around for almost two years for other things and finally dxd with fibromyalgia, which I'm not convinced I have.

Anyway, I find I lose a TON of hair in the shower every day, so much so that my tub is always clogged and I might as well buy stock in drano. But I have super thick hair, and it doesn't appear to be thinning or anything. It's almost like for as much that falls out just as much grows back or something.

The hair on my face is getting worse along with the acne. I looked in a magnfiying mirror the other day while tweezing my brows, and I noticed that the soft, blonde hair (of which there is a TON) along my jaw line and on my cheeks now has a lot of darker colored hair intermixed with it, although it's not "black" and it only looks darker in harsh light or in a magnifying mirror. But it's still there. I plucked at least 10 black, black, coarse hairs from my chin (and there were more but I need better tweezers, and anyway I wanted to leave them for the dermatologist to see) and one from just under my jawline that no lie was at least 3/4 of an inch long. I had three super coarse black hairs from my cheek right on my cheekbone as well.

I'm convinced there must be a hormonal factor, so I'm definitely going to discuss spiro with the derm. (I'm afraid he might say no because I'm also on adderall for severe fatigue from fibro, and the diuretic factor of both drugs might be a problem). But I am going to try spearmint tea also so I'll report back.

What is this I keep hearing about saw palmetto? what are its benefits for women for either acne or excess facial hair? I know my husband takes it for prostate health, but I have never heard of it being used for other purposes.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:53 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredpoet View Post
I have a brand new dermatologist appt on Thurs and I'm going to ask if I can get my hormones tested. My fear is that he will refer me instead to an endo or my primary.
Not sure why you're against an endocrinologist referral....that sounds like exactly who you should be seeing. I was thrilled when I finally got an endo referral. My endo seemed to understand exactly what I was going through (despite my "normal" hormonal lab tests) and recommended spironolactone right away. 12 months later and i have absolutely no acne, and my hirsutism has minimized greatly. gl!

Last edited by tiggerbuddy; 12-14-2007 at 02:55 PM.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:01 PM   #13
(female)

pnut77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerbuddy View Post
Not sure why you're against an endocrinologist referral....that sounds like exactly who you should be seeing. I was thrilled when I finally got an endo referral. My endo seemed to understand exactly what I was going through (despite my "normal" hormonal lab tests) and recommended spironolactone right away. 12 months later and i have absolutely no acne, and my hirsutism has minimized greatly. gl!
Hi tigerbuddy. Are you 100% clear? And was it very gradual from when you started spiro to now being 12 months later? Thanks!

Old 12-14-2007, 08:37 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnut77 View Post
Hi tigerbuddy. Are you 100% clear? And was it very gradual from when you started spiro to now being 12 months later? Thanks!
Hi Pnut It was a very gradual change. I should also mention that I'm taking a high dose- 200mg because that's what my endocrinologist says is usually needed to treat hirsutism. During the first month, I noticed a decrease in oil, but not in acne. I finally noticed my acne improving after 2-3 months, and it gradually got better and better from that point on. I was completely clear after about 6-8 months. I get a VERY occasional pimple, but they're always small and go away quickly. No more cysts!

I tried pretty much EVERYTHING except Accutane, and never was able to get longterm consistently good results like I am now. Spiro is my miracle drug, and I definitely recommend it!!

Last edited by tiggerbuddy; 12-14-2007 at 08:41 PM.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #15
(female)

dawn35 HB User
Thumbs down Re: Spironolactone for acne and facial hair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredpoet View Post
In the last few weeks I have been breaking out worse than I have in years. All I can think is maybe it's adderall, since I've now been on it about six months and I think maybe it's making me sweat more, and thus more sweat and oil = more acne.

I have a brand new dermatologist appt on Thurs and I'm going to ask if I can get my hormones tested. My fear is that he will refer me instead to an endo or my primary. The last thing I need is to see more doctors. I have been shuffled around for almost two years for other things and finally dxd with fibromyalgia, which I'm not convinced I have.

Anyway, I find I lose a TON of hair in the shower every day, so much so that my tub is always clogged and I might as well buy stock in drano. But I have super thick hair, and it doesn't appear to be thinning or anything. It's almost like for as much that falls out just as much grows back or something.

The hair on my face is getting worse along with the acne. I looked in a magnfiying mirror the other day while tweezing my brows, and I noticed that the soft, blonde hair (of which there is a TON) along my jaw line and on my cheeks now has a lot of darker colored hair intermixed with it, although it's not "black" and it only looks darker in harsh light or in a magnifying mirror. But it's still there. I plucked at least 10 black, black, coarse hairs from my chin (and there were more but I need better tweezers, and anyway I wanted to leave them for the dermatologist to see) and one from just under my jawline that no lie was at least 3/4 of an inch long. I had three super coarse black hairs from my cheek right on my cheekbone as well.

I'm convinced there must be a hormonal factor, so I'm definitely going to discuss spiro with the derm. (I'm afraid he might say no because I'm also on adderall for severe fatigue from fibro, and the diuretic factor of both drugs might be a problem). But I am going to try spearmint tea also so I'll report back.

What is this I keep hearing about saw palmetto? what are its benefits for women for either acne or excess facial hair? I know my husband takes it for prostate health, but I have never heard of it being used for other purposes.
________________________________________ ___________________

I'm not quite sure how to answer you as I'm new here. I do have something to share with you about Adderall and what it did to me. First of all be very careful about magnifying, analyzing your skin and hair too much. I clearly believe that this medicine in fact caused me to pick at my skin ( using tweezers to pull out the blonde fuzz on my face) until I had scarred myself. I definately had paranoid and obsessive thoughts after being on the Adderall. Another thing was I developed cystic acne during this same time. I had the occasional blemish during puberty and one with menstruation,, but this was horrific to me and a year after stopping the Adderall it still persists. I know some things work for some and not others but if I could go back I would have never taken Adderall ( poison).

Closed Thread