It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2003, 10:43 PM   #1

Luc612850 HB User
Post FLAXSEED OIL????

Has anyone herd anything good about this stuff, or used it? I was asking this lady that worked in the health food store if there was a soap i could use to make my skin look nicer, im told her im worried about all the chemicals i use like neutragena. After a while of my complaining she egerly told me to try some flaxseed oil during breakfast everyday for a month. I read the label and its suppose to promote healthy skin, hair and nails. It's rich in Omega3 fatty acids as well and protiens for building block of the brain and cells structure. She says along with water it will promote clearity. I bought some it was $16 for 5oz. But i didnt get any new soap. Of course if this works i would stop using neutragena even tho it works now, and look for a softer soap that wont dry my face out and leave a film residue.

Old 08-20-2003, 04:13 AM   #2
(male)

Indy007 HB User
I went to my health food store and the guy at the counter told me the same thing. He said Flax Seed Oil is good for correcting hormonal imbalances, but it'll take time he said.

Well I researched on the net and some of the websites do agree with what the guy said. So I've also started using Flaxseed oil. Hope it works for both of us! Cheers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2003, 01:46 PM   #3

Luc612850 HB User
Great! I used it in oatmeal this morning, tasted horrible, so i sweetend it up with maple syrup.

Old 08-20-2003, 03:34 PM   #4

U4IA HB User
There may be some real benefit to the flaxseed oil. I recently read the article titled: Assessment of Etiologic Agents in Acne Pathogenesis. If you like very scientific reading I recommend it.

In the article they talk about different hypotheses of sebum production. This is what they say:

The free fatty acid fraction of sebum may be important in inflammation. Possibly an important difference between sebum from acne patients and age-matched controls is that the concentration of linoleic acid, an essential fatty acid, is lower in patients with acne. In fact, there is an inverse relationship between sebum secretion and linoleic acid levels in sebum as endogenous lipid synthesis may dilute this essential fatty acid. The importance of linoleic acid is shown in its ability to suppress neutrophile oxygen metabolism and phagocytosis and stimulate the in vitro proliferation of sebocytes.[14] A deficiency of this essential fatty acid in the follicular epithelium may induce follicular hyperkeratosis and decreased epithelial barrier function, as is characteristic of the essential fatty acid deficiency syndrome.

Because flaxseed oil is high in linoleic acid it may be beneficial in preventing the keratin formation in the hair folicle.

I am taking flaxseed supplements but I think it is too early to tell if it is really helping.

I would be elated if acne could be prevented by something as simple as correcting an EFA (essential Fatty acid deficiency).

[This message has been edited by U4IA (edited 08-21-2003).]

Old 08-20-2003, 03:54 PM   #5

Luc612850 HB User
Good stuff Good stuff. I hope this stuff kicks in soon.

Old 08-21-2003, 01:40 AM   #6
Inactive

stabmaster HB User
The American Dermitological Association (?) seems to suggest that there is no evidence that ones diet effects acne. I think that's insane.

I have a not so severe case of acne (today anyways), but I have it on my back and chest as well and.. wierd places sometimes... but my point is that I had changed my diet to fight acne all over because I simply can't bathe in oxy. i'm 100% sure that my diet has lead to improvements. monounsaturated fatty acids as well as a serious diet enriched with vitamins and minerals.

I haven't tried flaxseed oils yet, but that was the last on the list for me to add. I lost all my links about diet/acne, but I pretty much modeled my diet around the suggestions. Conclusion = diet works.

Old 08-22-2003, 09:25 AM   #7
Veteran

DenverGal HB User
If you don't like the taste you can buy just plain flax seeds and put them in yogurt or whatever. You do need to crush them first to get all the benefits. Also, you can buy capsules that contain flax seed oil and have no taste (that's what I do).

Old 08-22-2003, 03:23 PM   #8

Luc612850 HB User
Yea the derm, isnt going to tell you the right way to cure your acne. he knows its diet, but he wouldnt make any money if everyone knew it was true. So he offers you oral medication or something to eat your face off. Its the same with doctors, my grandmas doctor refuses to answer her questions about what she should eat to stop free radicals from producing in her body, (free radicals cause cancer cells) My aunt is a vegan and is making my grandmother do it to, lol and next week they are going on a Detox diet. It gets rid of toxins in your body and corrects the balance of acids and bases. And over weight people lose weight rapidly. Its simply and organic fruit and vegetable diet for a week.

Old 12-29-2003, 06:44 AM   #9
Inactive

Aries872 HB User
Re: FLAXSEED OIL????

How much do you take? Just what is on the bottle? And is the oil better than the supplement?

Thanks.

Old 12-29-2003, 08:59 AM   #10

T-zone HB User

As I understand it ; Omega 3 is an Essential Polyunsaturated fatty Acid (an EPA), essential because the body cannot make it, omega 6 and omega 9 are also EPAs, the different 'omegas' are different chemical arrangements. The key is to having a good balance of omega 3 to omega 6, a ratio of 1:1 - 1:3, in todays popular diet people consume far too much omega 6 so the ratio of omega 3 :omega 6 can be as bad as 1:50. Expanding further there are long chain fatty acids and short chain fatty acids, and I quote

"The difference is quite critical, since the body requires the long chain omega-3s, but doesnít seem to have any particular direct use for the short chain versions. The latter are in theory capable of being converted to the long chain form, but doubts persist as to the extent to which this conversion process is capable, "

So - long chain omega 3 EPAs are the ones you want. Flakseed oil contains mostly short so the jury is out on whether it is any use, however long chain EPAs are abundant in fish oils, because of this and their importance in our brain development (studies have shown they make kids smarter) because of this and the fact humans require soo much fresh water there is theory that fresh water rivers and fish played a huge role in human evolution. And what we evolved eating, is what we should be eating (patheological diet for further info).

Also, just take the oil like a spoon of medicine followed by tea/coffee or watever you like, don't mix with food. Flakseed, fish oil, cod liver oil -its all disgusting.

Last edited by T-zone; 12-29-2003 at 08:59 AM.

Old 12-29-2003, 10:33 AM   #11

guns2323 HB User

could be just a coincidence, but I've been taking flaxseed oil capsules (plus multi, royal jelly, and vita.C) for a month now, and I've been totally clear for the last few weeks.... I'm even thinking about cancelling / rescheduling my smoothbeam appt. in Jan. 04.

Closed Thread